Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

639 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2012 8:29 PM by crl8686 RSS
mark260311 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2012 1:00 PM

Running In Boots!

Hey all,

Thought I'd drop by and say hello!

My name is Mark and I'm 25. Starting out on the c25k this week.

A question firstly...

Where I plan to run is off road, away from paved ares. It is over grown with tress etc but it a lovely and peaceful place. I can only see my self safely running in boots. CAT boots to honest.

Any one have any experience of this? Is it a bad move? Will I have to adjust the c25k plan in any way??

Thank folks!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,326 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jul 1, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to mark260311)
    Re: Running In Boots!

Have you hiked the area? Are there trails?  With trails, it would be OK.  But you will find it harder/slower than running on the roads.  The run/walk concept is most important to a gradual introduction to running.  It can be done as well on trails as on the road.  Without trails, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.  Boots?  You probably don't need boots, unless you're trying to protect your lower legs against something like snakebite.  A good pair of trail running shoes should provide adequate support.

Len

Len

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Jul 2, 2012 8:29 PM (in response to mark260311)
    Running In Boots!

I do a lot of hiking as well as running, and I'd hesitate to do a run, even on rough terrain, in hiking boots. They'd provide plenty of ankle support and traction, but it would also be the equivalent of running with ankle weights, and would put a lot of extra stress on your lower leg joints. Not to mention that they'd also keep your feet and ankles from flexing normally during a run.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...