Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14931 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 5:18 PM by Runninsister RSS 1 2 Previous Next
ruthaw Rookie 1 posts since
May 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 26, 2012 8:25 PM

Best sports bras for big girls

Help me out, girls!  What are the best running sports bras for big girls?  I don't want to spend a lot of money and am having a lot of trouble finding anything that has even close to enough control.  I've heard of wearing two bras at once, but that just doesn't seem like a great idea.  I'm just starting running.  Every time I've started before, this has been the issue that has held me back.  :/ Surely there are decent high impact bras for big girls somewhere, right???

• Skylark1967 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    1. Jun 25, 2012 4:36 PM (in response to ruthaw)

Hi Ruthaw, today was my first day of running - back after 20 years.  It was something that I always wanted to restart, but never found the time or simply I always had an excuse.  As I was running today, I couldn't believe how I let myself go and get out of shape......hopefully better days are coming     Anyway, I just wanted to put my thoughts into words.  Regarding the bra issue, I too am top heavy and always have been even when I was much thinner and I have always used two bras while running because I could never find any one bra to hold me.  It was something that I got used to and even used two today - I feel secure.  I guess it's just your preference.  Good luck to you!

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    2. Jun 26, 2012 6:27 AM (in response to ruthaw)

Champion Action Sport Bra is my favorite, it is priced well too!  I also have som LuluLemon ones I love, but they are expensive so I just ask for them at christmas time!  I like some of the nike ones too.  I do not like Fila, they stretch out too much and dont revert back after washing.  I have worn a sports bra under a sport tank with a shelf built in...worder really well!  (this coming from a 38DD).  Hope this helps answer your question.

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• anyrak Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 29, 2012
    3. Jun 29, 2012 8:15 PM (in response to ruthaw)
    Re: Best sports bras for big girls

I have the same issue (36DD), and did my first session last week.   I did some online research and came upon this article http://running.about.com/od/sportsbrasforrunning/tp/sportsbraforlargechests.htm

I price compared and found Amazon had some pretty good deals.  I ended up buying the the Moving Comfort bra and a Champion one I found for $50 including shipping.  The trick is getting one that is sized like your bra apparently.

You might also look at this article.  The bras are too expensive for me - I can't see being able to pay $50+ for one bra BUT they give good keywords you can use to find a good bra.

http://www.self.com/fitness/blogs/freshfitnesstips/2012/02/the-best-sports-bra-for-big-bu.html

I ordered them without trying them on, but if you go to a fitness store and try some on, you might find one you like that you can look for later at a better price.

• Yvonne Benney Basque Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    4. Jun 30, 2012 5:17 AM (in response to ruthaw)

I have a similar issue and I just can't make myself pay top dollar for a sports bra. I have a Jockey Underwire Sports Bra model #6930 that I like. They are available at Kohls for about $35 but I had to get a size smaller than I regularly wear. Make sure you go to a store to try on the bra, even if you end up buying it online. Jump up and down in the dressing room if possible to see how it feels.

Good luck!

• sammyze Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 30, 2012
    5. Jun 30, 2012 7:07 AM (in response to ruthaw)

A comfy, underwire sports bra underneath a fitted workout tank w/ a built in shelf bra helps. Most of the time, I wear a regular bra underneath a fitted sportsbra and workout tank. Works for me. :-)

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    6. Jul 3, 2012 9:06 AM (in response to ruthaw)

I don't have a lot of money to spend on a sports bras and ended up trying one out from Old Navy that was on sale for $10.  I thought, "What can I lose?" (besides the 10 bucks!)

The one I purchased is called a Women's Padded Sports Bra and I believe the tag said something like 'high impact' as they had one for low impact as well.  (The 'pad' is a very thin, and removeable....like in a bathing suit).

I am not overly huge up top but I hate when my husband calls me Bouncing Betty while I am running.  I actually ended up really liking this sports bra.  I went back and bought two more.  I see today that they are on sale online for $12.  It might be worth it to try one, ruthaw.

Kris

• eley9428 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    7. Jul 9, 2012 11:49 PM (in response to ruthaw)

Hey Ruthaw...

I get my sports bras from the Champion website. They rate the bras by how much support the offer and for which sizes. I like maximum support. I believe they are having a sale right now on all of their sports bras... check it out!!

Tanya

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    8. Jul 10, 2012 2:21 AM (in response to ruthaw)

I know you don't want to spend a lot on a sports bra, but it is money well spent.  I have one from Athleta made by Moving Comfort called the Glory Bra.  I am a 34DD, and absolutely hate to bounce around.  It's painful.  This bra is my fav so far.  I have several by Champion but this one (Moving Comfort) is absolutely the best.  Athleta tells you how to measure to assure you are getting the fit you need.  I've had it now for 6 months or so, wear it 2 - 3 times per week and it's holding up well.  I don't dry it in the dryer - just hang to drip dry.  Good luck on the search -

• mcg0403 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 21, 2012
    9. Jul 21, 2012 9:00 AM (in response to ruthaw)

Moving Comfort

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    10. Jul 24, 2012 4:06 AM (in response to ruthaw)

Bra recommendations for all sizes from the Aug 2012 edition of Runners World.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-320--14447-F,00.html

• AmyRosatoNovak Amateur 8 posts since
    May 7, 2012
    11. Jul 27, 2012 8:56 PM (in response to ruthaw)

hi! i am a lactating mom...a 34DD now down to 32D......moving comfort is great....spend the money !!!!!! check out title nine (sales a lot of times) they are awesome....its worth the money! you can sometimes find discontinued bras / due to color/fashion.....at various running outlets....active.com's swaggle send out coupon and cheap running wear..goggle cheap running bras...best of luck....

this can make or break a run....worth the investment!

best of luck

• AlexinaWarn Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    12. Dec 24, 2012 3:35 AM (in response to AmyRosatoNovak)

Bra.jpg

Sports bras will help the women to be the part of any lively activity. These bras are changing the lifestyles of many women. It gives the right support to the women when she is doing any physical activity. Sports bras Price Comparison is a best feature on HookPrice.com . You can use it and can get the discount on different offers. These bras differ according to the sports activity. Women who are just going for the running can find different bra than other who is going to do gymnastic.

• fishgirl54 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 15, 2012
    13. Aug 6, 2012 7:01 PM (in response to ruthaw)

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "big girl" but I can never find a cheap bra! I invested in Glamorise No-Bounce sports bra, ordered from JCPenney but I think you can get them elsewhere too. When they claim no-bounce, they really mean it. I am just beginning to run again at age 39, and I have a lot of fitness to gain and weight to lose, so I had to buy their largest size, and it has worked out extremely well, especially paired with a sports tank that has a shelf-bra built in. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

• igogirl Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 3, 2012
    14. Oct 3, 2012 8:29 PM (in response to ruthaw)

The absolute best thing you can do is go to a bra shop for a fitting to begin with. 

I did that a couple of years ago and discovered that despite following instructions for finding your bra size, I was wearing the wrong size -- band size was too big, cup size too small.  The reason I went was because I had spent way too much money trying to find a bra that fit after losing 100 lbs.  Every bra I tried, I was bubbling over the cups!!  Then I started working out and running and went back for a sports bra. 

I have two different ones I like -- one is an Elomi and has underwires and the cups are separated (no uni-boob).  That one keeps everything in place when I run.  The other one is an Anita -- it does not have underwire, but has seaming that helps it fit well.  I wear a 40 H in one, and 40 G in the other -- before my fitting, I had been buying 42 DDD, so you can see how far off I was. 

Yes, these bras are expensive, but I take care of them (handwash, air-dry) and wear them at least 3-4 times a week.  I figure the price-per-wearing is pretty low when you approach it that way!!

The key here is, get fitted!!!  You may or may not be able to find your size locally, but you can certainly find something online and maybe find a better deal too.  Hope this helps!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points