Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49854 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Previous Next
  • GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Jun 30, 2012 7:10 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Having trouble getting motivated to go tonight.  I didn't sleep well last night.  Barely at a few bites today.  My son has been more than challanging.  Our puppy (who was just spayed a few days ago) ran off and I walked over 1/2 a mile looking for her  (Actually maybe close to a mile.) and worrying.  My son just clunked me in the chin and I felt shockwaves down my neck.  I just want to go to sleep and hope for a better day tomorrow.  But it rained today and it's already down to only 76 (89% humidity) and this cooler weather won't last so I don't want to miss a night that's it's not worthy of "how hot is it" jokes. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• Medbill Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 30, 2012
    121. Jun 30, 2012 8:29 PM (in response to Tab Wolowicz)
    June C25K Starters

I just try to breathe in thru the nose and out thru the mouth. I try to be conscience of my breathing and expand my belly on inhale and tighten my tummy on exhale. 

Dot

• Medbill Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 30, 2012
    122. Jun 30, 2012 8:42 PM (in response to Medbill)
    June C25K Starters

Here is an article I just found on breathing while running:  http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/f/breathing.htm

http://completerunning.com/archives/2009/05/27/how-to-breathe-when-running/

Both articles basically say the same thing.

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    123. Jul 2, 2012 2:18 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Hello everyone, just found this site and thought it would be a good modivation tool going forward.  I actually started in late May, but think timing wise, I'm probably close to you all since I had a week off on vacation and a week off nursing a bad cold.  A little about me; I am 6'1" and weigh ~265 lbs.  I am 31 and am in good overall health.  I've enjoyed weightlifting throughout my adulthood but thought I should start running to help fight the battle of the bulge.  I run outside and use my phone with Cardiotrainer for the tracking and ZenLab's C25K program for the timer and walk/run notifications.  Also use it to listen to music of course!  My neighborhood is my track and it is quite hilly.  There are some definite difficult climbs and some easy downhills too.  I started again this morning and completed W5D1.  I was a bit apprehensive about starting W5 today since I haven't run in a little over a week (pesky cold!) but it seemed to go ok.  I even went an extra minute to my usual stopping landmark on the last 5 minute run and felt good about that until i noticed that W5D2 has some 8 minute runs.  I am really worried about Friday's W5D3 20 minute run!  I can't believe this program jumps up so quickly in a single week.  I haven't repeated any weeks so far, but I may have to this week.  We shall see.  So anyway, nice meeting you all and good luck to us all!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• mom2katon Amateur 13 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    124. Jul 2, 2012 2:31 PM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    June C25K Starters

Good job for sticking with it Camaro -- especially after being sick! 

I completed W5D2 this morning and was able to go a bit longer on days 1 and 2 than what was suggested.  I am very nervous to try W5D3 -- 20 minutes?????  It is such a big jump.  I have been doing better since I slowed my pace down.  My primary goal now is to complete the program, and then I will go back and work being faster.

@Medbill - thanks for the link on breathing -- I am off to go read it now.

Keep up the good work everyone

Jul 2, 2012
    125. Jul 2, 2012 3:28 PM (in response to mom2katon)
    June C25K Starters

Nice job getting through the 8 minute runs!  Good luck with the 20 minute, I bet you'll do great! 

C25k completed 7/27/2012

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    126. Jul 4, 2012 1:03 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

WTG everyone!  I've been reading all the posts but having trouble posting. 

I did run W3D2 other night but I was really slow.  Was fighting the leg cramps something awful again.  The cramps started with my warm up walk and I almost quit after the 1st jog.  But I figured I'd stick with it and see how far I could go and just repeat.  It wasn't pretty it was slow but, somehow I actually managed to finish.  Even tossed in an extra short jog during my cooldown when Daniel got out to join me and begged me "jog with me mama." 

Turned out I had a bit of stomach but so I took 2 nights off and went for W3D3 tonight.  It was so slow I started on Tuesday and didn't finish until Wed.  LOL  The temp was actually not to bad at 76 and I think he humidity was still holding around 80%.  When I started getting really hot near the 1/2 way point I poured ice water over my head and neck.  It really seemed to help.  The 1st 3 minutes jog I was feeling like I might be in trouble.  I picked my spot ahead (I know I can make it to that mailbox, telephone pole, crack in the road...) and made it to it, then the next and the next.   I decide to look at the time at what I thought was 2 to hopefully 2.5 minutes so I could hang on for the rest of the jog.  As I reached for my phone I heard "time for a brisk walk."  Clearly she doesn't know me, because I don't do brisk.  Still I was thrilled I'd made it through.  The next jog I felt like I was pushing to finish it too.  When the final 3 minute jog came up I wasn't so sure I was going to do it without a walk.  I was shocked when it turned out to be the easiest instead of the hardest one.  When the disembodied voice told me it was time to walk - I didn't.  I figured what the heck I'm feeling OK I'm going to go for another minute.  A little ways in I started picking my point that I could make it to and just as I was going to stop I checked my timer, 10-9-8...  I decided to finish the last few seconds unitl I heard the beautiful "cool down" words.  Instead of adding 1 minute I'd added 2.  I was so thrilled I wanted to dance.  Still not feeling ready for week 4 but now I know going in I can do at least 1 5 minute jog.  I was also pleased that my leg cramps were a little less painful than they were the last 2 days.  Still pretty painful but not quite as bad as they were.  The only thing I did different was after my 1st 3 minute jog I turned around backwards and did a little 2 step for a minute or so trying to work some of them out. (Pretty sure I 2 step backwards faster than I walk forward.)  Feels so good to be finished with week 3.   Hopefully week 4 will go well too. 

Keep up the great work everyone. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• ani4life Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 4, 2012
    127. Jul 4, 2012 2:44 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    Re: June C25K Starters

Hey everyone!  I am considering starting this program this coming Monday with a friend...I'm super nervous because I've never been a distance runner and I haven't run in several years.  I do, however do cardio (elliptical) a few times per week and I go to Zumba classes so I'm hoping that will help my endurance.  We'll also be doing this at 6 AM and I am NOT a morning person, but I know I will feel better if I do it!!!  Reading your posts has been so inspirational so I'm pretty much sold on it!  I am in a wedding September 1st and another in Mexico next May so I'm trying to get back in shape and get my beach body ready.    Any tips and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Jul 2, 2012
    128. Jul 4, 2012 5:30 AM (in response to ani4life)

Nice job Geo!  Week four will be a breeze for you since you are basically doing it now with that 5 minute run! 

Ani, it seems to me the hardest part was starting.  It doesn't get easier as you go because the program increases along with you, but you'll be amazed at what you end up accomplishing!  I also run in the early morning.  I am at work by 7am so it was either get up at 5am to run, or try to do it when it was hot and I was tired after work.  I've grown to like being out here at sunrise when it is cooler and quiet.  Plus I feel refreshed after that carries into my day.

So I just finished W5D2.  The first 8 minute went pretty well, but the second 8 minute started a little before the monster hill on my route.  I made it though and feel pretty good.  Still can't fathom how I'm going to run 20 straight minutes on Friday though!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

Jul 4, 2012
    129. Jul 4, 2012 8:41 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)

YES!  That is such a good point...I only live 5 minutes away from work, so I sleep until the last possible minute.  I have insomnia, so that's another reason I hate mornings.  I am sleeping better with the help of meds, but I also watch TV on my way to sleep.  I know that's a no no, but I hate just lying there in the dark and contrary to what studies show, the TV actually helps me get sleepy...and then I either turn it off or set the sleep timer.  I think that if I wake up earlier, I will probably sleep better.  And if I run in the mornings and then go to Zumba in the evening some days, that will most certainly help.  My best friend who's getting married in September is in the gym at 5 so I'm thinking on some of the days I don't run, I could get my gym workout knocked out in the AM so I can get used to getting up earlier.  I DEFINITELY feel better when I have to get up earlier for something.  Thanks so much for your encouragement.  Congrats on that 8 minutes!!!  That is awesome...I'm sure you'll do fine on the 20 minutes.  Believe it or not, we did a program similar to this when I was in 8th grade back in 1989.  The school board came up with this idea that kids needed to run more, so we started out walking one minute and running one minute every Wednesday.  The time increased each week and by the end of the semester, we ran for 30 minutes straight.  this was in northern NM in the four corners area, but it was still HOT!  I thought i was going to die...and did NOT appreciate it at that age.  LOL  But I'm starting to get excited now! 

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    130. Jul 4, 2012 11:54 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W5D1 done.  Yesterday morning, before work, so had to run the hilly route from my door, every run interval up a hill, every walk on the flat or downhill.  Was getting quite peeved at the injustice of it all (yes, I know, I know, it's not the hill's fault, it's not the program's fault, it's just the way it is) so when I got to the last interval and the "ok, you can walk now" signal came when I was still 200 yards from the brow of the hill, I went into a toddler strop, and thought "no, it's not fair.  You made me run up this hill, and I want to do some downhill running, so even though you've told me to walk I'M NOT GOING TO SO THERE!"  And off I went, running up and over the brow of the hill and down the other side.  I am so not a rational person first thing in the morning, but a little extra running (was only a minute or so) can't do too much harm, right?

@mcmeggar - thanks!  That's exactly the stretch I needed.

Jul 4, 2012
    131. Jul 4, 2012 8:24 PM (in response to TisforTiara)

Well done!!!  I don't think that extra running hurt a bit.  Keep up the good work. 

• mcmegger Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    132. Jul 4, 2012 8:38 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W3D1 done. I had painful shinsplints and aches in the back of my knees after W2D3 so I was a little worried about how the longer run would feel but so far so good and I iced down my legs after I did my stretches just in case. I was surprised at how different each of the 3 minute runs felt, the first was surprising in that it felt shorter than I thought it would, during the 2nd one I had to pull out my phone to check that the program was still running because I thought for sure the 3 minutes must have passed, I was expecting the worst for the third one but it actually ended really quickly and I even ran faster than I had the other two, I was starting to struggle a bit with the last one but I thought there was still one more rotation to go so I was pleasantly surprised when I was told to slow down and cool down. I don't look ahead of time at what the run/walk cycles are because then I'll be fixated on the time instead of trying to stay tuned into my breathing and keeping a steady pace. I think the 2nd run seemed so long because I checked the run interval after the 1st one.

TisforTiara, glad to hear that strech hit the spot! My route seems magically timed for me to run up the hills too. I even changed things up on the warm up to try and avoid it but it seems it is inevitable so I guess what ever doesn't kill me will make me stronger right?

Happy 4th of July everyone and keep up the good work!

• mcmegger Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    133. Jul 4, 2012 8:41 PM (in response to ani4life)
    June C25K Starters

Ani4life - are you and your friend using a C25K app? I use Run Double (android platform) and its been awesome. I'm sure there are other apps out there too.

• AnneVant Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    134. Jul 5, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Thank you for this thread. It's a great motivation to read about other people and the success they're having or that you're having some of the same issues I am!  I have never run before and am not athletic and never have been. But am motivated by this program and the desire to find something inexpensive to help keep me in shape as I get older. It also helps that I have a dog that will run and will be getting a puppy, so the need to run them in the morning, before work, is a bonus.

I ran W4D1 this morning. I actually tried to run it a few weeks ago and failed! Went on vacation and came back the end of last week. I went back and did W3D2 and W3D3 again and finally finished W4D1 today!!!! I'm intimidated by the longer runs and CAN'T wait for the beep telling me to walk. However, I did find this morning that I was ready to keep going! I know this week and next will be a big challenge for me...but I also know I can do it, I just need to stay focused!

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...