Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

656201 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 222 223 224 225 226 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,345. Jul 3, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to aluecker)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hi "Fearless" team! I had a strong 3.5 mile run this morning. I was delighted to feel so good even after a rather difficult and hot 8 miles on Sunday. Whoot!

OshCat "So far, so good for both of us!" <~ High fives to slow and steady! A 10K right now would be nice for a little confidence boost, wouldn't it? As long as you didn't "race" it, right?

CKLindsay Sounds like a nice little run and congrats on the Appalachian Trail Thru-hikers companion. The trail winds through my neck of the woods, just a few miles from where I live.

runbrenrun Yeah, we gotta stay hydrated these days, for sure!

runslowdan Have fun on your 5K tomorrow! I hope the nieces and nephews join in.

JosephTree Sounds like a sweet 10 miler. It must be so helpful to have a team to run with, although personally, I'm one of those who like to run alone...just me and the dog.

linuscatch Thanks! Sounds like a sticky early morning run! Good for you for "kickin' it", though.

jmsab23 A jump in the lake at the end of your 5K sound kinda sweet! Best of luck tomorrow.

Snerb "Paying the fiddler" eh?

EMTTrix My pleasure!

NHLA "5 miles 42 min. Taking it easy." <~ Love your idea of taking it easy! LOL Thanks for donating blood.

aluecker Ouch! # Pad it up well, I guess and don't let it get infected.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    3,346. Jul 3, 2012 5:12 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Webpro, Sure!  Just run in Valley Forge Park.  It's actually on 252 north of 202, and has a near perfect loop of 5 miles starting at the visitors center.  You can lengthen it with side cut at will, and the map of the park is very clear and posted in many places around the park.  There are also great bathrooms and water fountains conveniently spaced around the loop.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    3,347. Jul 3, 2012 5:15 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Linus, sorry for the web-speak.  IMO = "in my opinion"

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• KennethRayhon Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 28, 2012
    3,348. Jul 3, 2012 7:02 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Just finished a charity race for a fallen police officer Chris Matlosz of Lakewood N.J. P.D. #317....Chris was shot and killed while he sat in his police car....He is gone but never forgotten.....The race was 5 miles and I finished in 37:10.....There were a lot more hills than I expected...  Follow my training and races here... http://kjrzeek1.hubpages.com/

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,349. Jul 3, 2012 7:42 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Tony-good luck with the travels.  It's hotter here in WI than in southwestern Missouri where we are traveling to.  but not by much.

Just saw this article today, found it interesting and made a lot of sense.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Best-Long-Run-Hydration-Habits.htm?cmp=291&memberid=129899400&lyrisid=25847755&email=silkbluebmw@yahoo.com

If I understand correctly the maxim to pace the long slow run at 2 minutes over race pace is for your projected marathon race pace, is that correct?

Enjoyable Independence Day to all!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,350. Jul 3, 2012 7:50 PM (in response to KennethRayhon)

Kenneth I love running but what I love best is when I can run for a good cause. WAY TO GO!!!

Joseph Tree Thanks I'm going to try that 5 mile loop on Thursday. I picked up your message to late to run it earlier. I ran at a park off Chesterbrook blvd and lee road. I had a good 5 mile run. I enjoyed the rolling terrain . It very different than where I train in Florida.

Runslowdan Good luck on your race.

Hope everyone has a good safe. 4th.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,351. Jul 3, 2012 8:14 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Took the easier direction out of my driveway tonight, for a 3-miler. 22:26, with no discomfort on the smaller hills (compared to my more severe hills route last night).

aluecker.... The purple-blue color seems to suggest some type of bruise rather than a blister. If you pad a blister so there's no friction on it, it shouldn't bother you as much as this seems to when you walk. That, and the color, suggests to me that it is a bruise.

melodylea... Got the time off for the Maine Marathon weekend, I should be registered for the 1/2M shortly.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,352. Jul 3, 2012 10:28 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

aluecker it looks like a bruse to me also. Use ibupropen gel for pain and get some vet tape to wrap it.

I am on flat ground for a change looking farward to running the sugercreek greenway tom.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,353. Jul 4, 2012 6:30 AM (in response to NHLA)

aleuker - good luck with that bruise.  A friend of mine swears by arnica gel for bruises but I've never tried it.

runslowdan - thanks for posting that article - I know I have to do a better job with hydration as a lifestyle change not just when running.

Good luck to all racing today.

Yesterday's run was 4.25 miles.  Lower legs felt better than they have in a long time.  First mile was tough but after that not so bad.   Slow and steady progress.

Raining today - taking it easy and enjoying not being a work

Happy 4th all!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,354. Jul 4, 2012 8:24 AM (in response to Webpro11)

Everyone here is so amazing! You are all so active with your runs and writing! So sorry I can't keep up and mention them all because they are all so inspiriing.

NHLA, your runs are awesome. Can't imagine what's next.

Tony, I bet you feel the difference running in Valley Forge. The air can be like pushing through a cloud sometimes in that area with the heat and humidity but FL must be really hot, too. Enjoy your family visit!!

EMTTrix, thank you for all your work. Whatever you do will be enough. You have plenty of time. You are my hero!

The rest of you guys are so inspiring! Thank you. 

Deb, you asked about fueling and belts? I've been toying with this awhile. I have an iFitness belt that sits well on my hips because the material is stretchy. The phone pocket is a little too small for my iPhone 4, tho. That's my only complaint. It holds way more gel and other fuel than I've needed to carry. I've tried almost every type of gel, bean, chomp, etc. I don't like chewing and running but am not a fan of gel texture either. I like the honey stinger waffles for pure energy and taste but they are IMO too expensive. They melt in my mouth. I carry gels just because they are efficient. I haven't found a GU favor I liked; they are way too sweet. Hammer vanilla and tropical are my favs but their chocolate and coffee taste like candy bars and are probably popular. I'd prefer not having such a strong taste; it's distracting and needs a lot of water. I have carried GU peach ice tea or berry chomps and my mice favor them also. Had to throw out a pack that had already been chewed yesterday. :-(( Most often though I'll carry Clif Black Cherry Shot Blocks. The ingredients are more natural and there's some caffeine, which I need. I'd rather not eat while running because it seems after I have that my body wants to stop or relax but if I don't eat, it gets tired too soon. So, I'm thinking the quality of ingredients might make digestion easier and limit the down time. So, my current plan is to use two gels for the first 6-8 miles and then chomp on shot blocks through the end of the run. It's the minimum recommended for my size. I carry 2 x 8ozs, one of water and one of ade or coconut water and usually refill at the stations at least once. They leak through the spout because it is the kind that you suck and that's a given. I'm covered in sweat within 30 min. so no prob. I've found there's usually not enough info on products to know when you buy online whether you'll like something. Can be frustrating. For example, they don't talk about the spout on their bottles. Try something someone has recommended?

Ran a vigorous 3.5 on the dreadmill yesterday and felt guilty that it wasn't longer. Worried I've lost a lot of conditioning and am late about training for the fall's HMs. Hope to get some time at the gym today. I've finally lost enough weight to have a healthy BMI!! A friend sent me a pic from the last race and I looked awful old and fat so I'm focused on short celebration and long term push for more weight loss. Hope I can stick with it. I have let myself get very isolated because I work long hours and relocated away from all family. Lately having relationship troubles and Mom is on the home stretch. This has not helped. Food has been a huge source of comfort. While running has taken over a lot of that role, nothing replaces that reassurance that there's someone you can call or who cares and I worry I'll start gaining again. If it's not one thing, it's another. Really could use a long slow run.

Good luck to all you who are racing and happy runs if you are out!

Enjoy your holiday!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    3,355. Jul 4, 2012 12:06 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I'm going to say I went 11 miles today, tracked it online after I came home and it was close enough with jagged lines (used geodistance). 2 more miles until I get a 13.1 sticker!!

Now it's time to search for a HM

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    3,356. Jul 4, 2012 1:06 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Happy 4th!

No run today. Instead I did 1.2 miles of the Kona ironman swim with a friend. I used fins but it's the first time I've done the swim in over a year. I felt very tired by the end was going to turn around at the 1/2 mile turn around but decided to keep going bouy after bouy.

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,357. Jul 4, 2012 1:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Happy Fourth, everyone!

Was supposed to to 10 miles today, but I missed my turnaround and did 11.4 at a 10:03 pace. We ran Waterton Canyon this morning.

For all y'all who've been asking for pictures, I posted some on my "blog". It's more of a training log, don't expect high prose, but there ARE pictures.

http://anoldcoyote.wordpress.com

I didn't see any bighorn sheep today. They were further up the canyon. I did see a few mountain goats, though.

Run free!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,358. Jul 4, 2012 1:47 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

coyote: great pics...thanks for sharing.  Sounds like a good run also and you're probably right on track for your marathon.  are you doing the rock n roll?

snerb: I feel your pain on the "day after" story.  I run so I can drink!

mkayc: sorry to hear about your mom.  We will keep her and you in our prayers. Regarding the water bottles, we buy cases of water bottles at the store, and I just carry one or two, depending on conditions and length of run in my hand.  Even when full, they are easy to hold without too much pressure.  When I'm done with the bottle, I crusch it and put it in my pocket for the rest of the run.  And if I am doing a run where I will pass back by a common point, I will sometimes drop one there so I have one on way back.

igotwings: nice 11 miles!  you are ready for a HM right now!

runslowdan: LSR pace should be 90-120 seconds slower than your marathon pace.  There is a good training pace calculator for all your different runs on runnersworld.com.  Just search the site for training pace calculator and then plug in a recent race time and it will do the rest.

melodylea: nice job on the 3.5 mile run!  Are you going for 9 this weekend?

jmsab: I still can't get over the 20x400m repeats.  I don't think I will ever even try that for fear of passing out!

Went to the track early this morning and did 8x400m repeats at 7:30 avg pace,, with 200m recovery jogs.  4.43 miles total.  was glad to beat the heat for this workout as I can't stand repeats, although I always feel good when I'm done.  Went golfing afterward with some friends. 

Mrs. linus is starting the c25k program so heading out with her later today for 20 minutes or so to provide some moral support.

Battling plantar fasciatis right now, and know all the traditional therpaies, including the strassburg sock I wore to bed last night.  Would appreciate hearing any unique approaches anyone has had success with.

Off to take a nap now.  Happy 4th to all, and stay fearless!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,359. Jul 4, 2012 3:37 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Got the 5k race in between rain showers this morning, but it was very humid. Still, it was a good race with over 670 runners starting. I clocked my 2nd best 5k time ever, 20:53, good for third in my age group and 59th overall. There were a lot of young runners today, many in the top 30 were under 25 years of age. Ahh, to be young again.

Coyote.... Great run scenery!!! Now that's an area that could inspire people to run, for sure!!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...