Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

920530 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 291 292 293 294 295 ... 297 Previous Next
  • SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,380. Apr 11, 2012 12:02 AM (in response to Croz69)
    Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Croz69 - Actually, you did not ask your question wrong the first time - you asked it properly.  I do agree with others, that as long as you are doing some sort of running, slogging, jogging, or whatever you want to call it, I would consider you a runner.  I have to disagree with some of the comments in reference to time, though.  I consider anyone to be a Penguin if you are running at a pace of a 15 minute mile or slower.  Anything faster than that (which is most of those who post here) I don't consider to be a Penguin.  I might slide a little bit and say that if you do a 13-14 minute mile part of the time, then you might still be a Penguin, but anything faster than that is not a Penguin.  Keep in mind that these are only my opinions, are not meant in a negative way, and do not reflect the opinions of anyone else on here.

So, in answer to your question "If I said I'm a Penguin.  I run a 3 mile run at a 10 mm pace" would you agree with me or tell me that's not a Penguin pace?"  I would say that's not a Penguin pace.  I've seen people post on here that think they are a Penguin when they run an 8 or 9 mm, which I could only do in my dreams.  But as someone else said, it's all relative, and everyone's opinions/definitions of a Penguin are different.

Even John "The Penguin" Bingham, who started all of this Penguin stuff says he runs a 12 mm, which is fast to me, and I don't consider him to be a Penguin.

SoulSong - You said you finished last in the last half marathon you did.  Just curious, what was your finish time, if you are comfortable in posting it? 

• Wayna72 Pro 113 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    4,381. Apr 11, 2012 6:05 AM (in response to SloMo2)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

398815_10151461840765023_596995022_23417878_1830571041_n.jpg

slo mo.  I am not SoulSong but I will tell you I just finshed my second half marthon my race times  this was from this last weekend. (4/7/2012) My mom was running with me to help finsh the race. She is one of  my greatest support. she is 72 and we try to run at least 2 miles 3 times a week.

I loved my run today here are my times.

334 Lawayna Pike           Tulsa           OK  39 3:32:47 3:31:47 16:10

I am on resting period for the next 8days with no running... since my first half in November and started back to running a week later I ended up with shin splints and the docters bills to go along with them as well as 4 different pairs of shoes that I can wear. I am taking the full 13.1 days off to give my legs a good rest.  I am at a 16 min mile currently so yes I know I am a penguin. on the other hand I am good with that. I do have diabites type 2 and it is under control because of my 16 min pace. I am looking to improve it the time because I dont like be last. but I dont like being hurt and not being able to run so I will waddle on. besides it is all about the medals right... wait a min it is about my health..... yeah that is what it is about... my health...

Docter says I am good for a 6 month ac1 test plan because of my running keeps the junk food monster at away...

Happy Running to all or waddling as long as we move we are good.

Wayna

Wayna

Will Run 4 Food 5k-56mins (first 5k) 6/5/10
    Walk for Life/Run for Adoptions 9/18/10 51:56
    John 3:16 run 5k 52:57 mins chip time. (all hills) 10/23/10
    Steps for sucess on Route 66 11/22/10 51:09
    Poker Run 2/11 no time
    St Patrick 5K 52mins 3/12/11
    YWCA Race againest Racism 48 min 4/30/11
    Run to the Sun 45:32 9/5/2011
    Route 66 1/2 marathon 11/11 3:43
    Aquarium Run 4/12 3:33
    Tulsa Run 15k 2:22
    Route 66 Marathon. 11/18

• Croz69 Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    4,382. Apr 11, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to SloMo2)

Thanks SloMo2. I just didn't want to come across as "please sir, can I be called a runner too?" I consider myself a runner. I dare anyone over the age of 20 (and half of them under 20) to go out there and run 3 miles at any pace without taking breaks or walking breaks if you're not a runner. Doesn't work.

I was just looking for some indications of what would be a 'normal' pace vs. a 'slow' pace for an average runner, etc. Unfortunately, too many articles are "don't worry about how fast, just do your best. You're good enough, smart enough and doggonit, people like you!" type stuff. I'm a big boy, if I'm slow, tell me I'm slow and then point me to any way you know on how to get faster, etc. So I appreciate your feedback. When I do these things, I strive to always improve and was looking for info to help me do just that.

And Wayna, DAMN! (sorry for the language) I don't give a crap what your mm is, 13.1 deserves respect! I can't imagine the work involved in getting there. Take every one of those rest days, and congrats for keeping the Type 2 beast at bay.

43 Years Old, 6' 2" tall.

255 pounds on January 1, 2012

220 pounds on April 7, 2012 (and still falling)

Started C25K February 7, 2012

Graduated April 6, 2012 with a 33:28 time

Tampa, Florida

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    4,383. Apr 11, 2012 9:50 AM (in response to Croz69)

Wayna72 - Yay - someone with a 16mm pace!  Too bad we don't live in the same area, or we could "run" (slog) together.  I will be in Stillwater in June, so maybe on the way there, I could stop and we could run together.

Croz69 - As far as what an average pace for a runner is, I would say probably around a 10 mm or so.  It seems like most people finish half marathons in around 2 hours, and full marathons in around 4 hours.  I agree with you, I don't want all of that sugar coating telling me that I am doing good just to be out there.  Tell me up front that I am slow, and give me suggestions as to how I can improve.  That being said, any exercise is better than none at all.  One suggestion that some have used is to do intervals - run slow for awhile, then fast for a short period, then keep alternating slow and fast.  That would be slow and fast for what YOU consider to be slow and fast, not anyone else.  My goal is to be consistently at a 10 -12 mm pace, although I don't know if I will ever get there.

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    4,384. Apr 11, 2012 11:04 AM (in response to SloMo2)

[quote]

I consider anyone to be a Penguin if you are running at a pace of a 15 minute mile or slower.  Anything faster than that (which is most of those who post here) I don't consider to be a Penguin.  I might slide a little bit and say that if you do a 13-14 minute mile part of the time, then you might still be a Penguin, but anything faster than that is not a Penguin.  Keep in mind that these are only my opinions, are not meant in a negative way, and do not reflect the opinions of anyone else on here.

So, in answer to your question "If I said I'm a Penguin.  I run a 3 mile run at a 10 mm pace" would you agree with me or tell me that's not a Penguin pace?"  I would say that's not a Penguin pace.  I've seen people post on here that think they are a Penguin when they run an 8 or 9 mm, which I could only do in my dreams.  But as someone else said, it's all relative, and everyone's opinions/definitions of a Penguin are different.

[/quote]

SloMo - I am with you on this! I average about a 14 minute mile. Or about a 15 minute mile when I have not been consistent. Shorter distances or better days might be able to get down to 13 (or race pace of about 12:50). I would be sooo stoked with being able to run a 12 mm on training runs. I think in high school I did "the mile" at about 10:00 and remember being the slowest kid out there. Now that seems so incredibly fast I don't know how I did it (okay I weighed quite a bit less and was 16 so that's probably a start). I guess I'd consider 12 and up to be okay for calling yourself a penguin. I get sort of offended honestly when folks talk about how slow they are and make a big deal of it and then I see their 5k times are around 30 minutes! Seems like lightning speed to me! Then again I recognize we all want to improve so I don't mean to criticize anyone's judgement of themselves. I just mean to say that if YOU think you are slow at 10 mm, well where does that put the rest of us, right?

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

• Wayna72 Pro 113 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    4,385. Apr 11, 2012 11:30 AM (in response to SloMo2)

Slo_mo anytime you want to run with me I would be happy to meet. I run with runners world here in tulsa on saturday morning June is when we start our next session of training( poker run is one of the best runs) depending on your hand you gettet to pick a prize. I have gotten 2 tech shirts and a running entry fee for the skirt chaser (so free running skirt 35.00 fee) all for a 5.00 buy in... the money goes to the training program snacks for the runs. in tulsa I will let you know we do have major speed bumps (aka hills) the poker run is usally a flat route but I can not say it will be the next session.

Wayna

Will Run 4 Food 5k-56mins (first 5k) 6/5/10
    Walk for Life/Run for Adoptions 9/18/10 51:56
    John 3:16 run 5k 52:57 mins chip time. (all hills) 10/23/10
    Steps for sucess on Route 66 11/22/10 51:09
    Poker Run 2/11 no time
    St Patrick 5K 52mins 3/12/11
    YWCA Race againest Racism 48 min 4/30/11
    Run to the Sun 45:32 9/5/2011
    Route 66 1/2 marathon 11/11 3:43
    Aquarium Run 4/12 3:33
    Tulsa Run 15k 2:22
    Route 66 Marathon. 11/18

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    4,386. Apr 11, 2012 5:06 PM (in response to Croz69)

I've been getting the emails again so have been following this conversation a bit. 

Here's my take:  If you feel like a runner, you are a runner.  As some of those motivational posters say, it's still a mile if it takes you 5 minutes or 25 minutes. 

That's exactly my take on being a penguin too.  If you feel like a penguin, you are one.  I think it's more of a state of mind than a number.  I feel comfortable with the people here.  Even as I've gotten a wee bit faster, I still feel most comfortable here. 

There are still those hardcore "runners" who think you aren't a runner unless you can do a marathon under 4 hours.  That's rubbish imo.

My 5k race pace is now a 10:30 or so.  My marathon race pace is 14:00 or so.  I'm a penguin. 

I do tend to compare myself but I try to stay in my age group when looking at the comparisions.  If you want to know what the average runner's pace is in a race, I'd choose a local race and go look it up on athlinks.com.  I've got the link to my results at the bottom.  I like to look to see what the average pace was, the average women's pace and where I stood in my age group.  I think that's a better gauge than just throwing out a number for everyone. 

I just set a PR in my last 5k.  I did a 10:33 pace.   79% of the women finished ahead of me.  The average woman's finishing time was 30:13 and I finished in 32:47.  That 2 1/2 minute difference pushed me down 29%.

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me at what pace people consider themselves penguins.  John Bingham started a revolution with his books and the thought that those of us not doing a 8 minute pace can be and are runners.  Who cares what the label is as long as you are happy, find some people who can share the joy of running and support you?

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,387. Apr 21, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to indigopet)

I've been watching the Discovery channel show on the Arctic/Antarctic - them penguins seem pretty slick and fast  when in the water....I think its all about state of mind and how one feels about one's self:  I am proud to be penguin (even if I resemble a Walrus)...

That said; I ripped off a smoking 51:43 4 mile race today - well actually walked the entire course as I am still coming off knee injury.  I was happy as I made my target of 13 min/mile  (actually 12:56).  I resisted all temptations to jog or run during race and I'll see how the knee feels tomorrow.  I am hoping to start working up to jogging again in the next week or so.  In the mean time, I'll keep walking.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    4,388. Apr 25, 2012 10:41 AM (in response to Donna914)

OK...so is anyone else having problems listening to their bodies? I've undertaken this really outrageous schedule all in the attempt to qualify at the highest level for Half Fanatics. Thankfully it's not about speed because instead of setting new PRs I'm setting more WRs (personal worsts) lol!  Did my double last weekend in IN/MO. Kept a decent, fairly normal pace of 12:19mm in IN on a relatively hilly course and a 13:13mm in MO. At mile 8 in MO I was even 10 minutes ahead of my goal finishing pace of 2:40 but hit a major wall at mile 9 and walked the majority of the remainder of the course finishing over 13+ minutes on my PR. I ran what should have been a flat (and I mean FLAT), fast race yesterday but ended up walking the majority of it after mile 2 because my ITBS kicked up again thus setting my PW at 3:07:26 (14:17mm). Today I'm more sore than I have been after any of the 2 doubles that I've done so far.

At this point I'm not really concerned about time, just finishing. The thing is, I have 4 more races in the next 3 weeks (one double) that are already paid for and I'll be damned if I let the money go to waste. I know I'll do these 4 at least and another 2 that are paid for in June and November, but I have a mega list of races that I want to get done before August. I might be able to talk myself into taking a month long break between May and June, but at the same time I feel like I'd be wasting time. This is what the remainder of my summer schedule looks like it includes 4 doubles, 1 triple and the rest singles (all HMs).

OKC  Memorial4/29/2012
    Wisconsin 5/5/2012
    1st Midwest  Bank Southwest5/6/2012
    Hope &  Healing Place5/13/2012
    Fargo HM5/19/2012
    Papillion HM5/20/2012
    Taste  of Louisville6/2/2012
    Casper6/3/2012
    Wounded  Warriors6/10/2012
    Foot Traffic  Flat 7/4/2012
    Womens Moon  Run7/7/2012
    Langley Half7/8/2012
    Idaho Falls7/21/2012
    Legacy  Midnight Run8/3/2012
    ET Full Moon  Midnight8/5/2012
    Leading  Ladies8/19/2012
    Wausau8/25/2012
    Shick Lady  Speed Stick Wmns8/26/2012

So, honestly, would you be able to listen to your body or would you be on the stubborn side and keep going as long as possible? I'm thinking that I'll wait until after OKC to determine if I'll actually take a break or keep going...

EDIT 3/25/12: I decided to go ahead and take a month off. Dropping Fargo/Papillion/Louisville/Casper off the schedule.

• Beariatric Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 5, 2010
    4,389. Apr 26, 2012 5:21 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hello from NE Ohio!

I am a very new runner. Two months ago I began a Couch to 5K program to see if I like running. Two weeks ago I ran my first 6K. I am very slow at this point and can't imagine getting to be very fast. I am 58. Six years ago I had triple coronary bypass and four years ago I had weight loss surgery. I have become much more active and cycle many times a week. I have friend who is an avid runner who convinced me to take on a challenge. I am actually liking it.

I have read John Bingham's books and thoroughly enjoyed his The Accidental Athlete. It really spoke to me. I would love to find local Penguins to run with. It gets boring running by myself. I've run with a group but am usually left behind to run on my own. Any ideas how I can hook up with slower runner in my area?  I would appreciate your input.

Tom from Akron

Visit my blog, http://beariatric.com/

One Man's Journey where Diet + Fitness + Health + Wellness = Happiness

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    4,390. May 20, 2012 7:10 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi my name is Crystal....and I'm a slow runner...

lol looking at some of the people's PR's on here I'm thinking i'm more of a penguin then some

Its all good.  I have always done charity walks, 2-3 a year with my family.  In 2010 I was diagnosed with cancer, and had to have a partial mastectomy.  I beat the disease, but the after effects were pretty bad.  I was severely depressed.  When I finally got my health and my head back I was tipping the scales at 252 lbs.  And I knew something had to change.  I started to watch what I ate, I started walking more.  October 2011, one year after my surgery I finished my first 5k at 53:10 SLOW, but I finished and thats all that mattered to me.  I continued my journey, lost 10 lbs finished my second 5k 49:00 stoked! and the next race was a 7k 1:01:36 and the most recent this past Saturday I finally ran the entire 5k (well my run is most peoples slow jog lol) But either way I finished 46 something...results aren't posted.  I am proud of myself, I have lost a total of 24 lbs to date and have been making strides to improve my health.  Since January I have hired a life/health coach (KaraWaitek.com) I highly recommend her.  She has been super supportive and a dream to work with.  she ran this last race with me and really pushed me though the 86 degree race!  So that's my story...simple as it is

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

May 24, 2008
    4,391. May 26, 2012 8:06 PM (in response to Donna914)

I'm keeping with my penguin roots.  did 21Km last week  (19 May) in 2:50 and change.  hope everyone is doing well.  I'm still fighting sore knee which is limiting me to walking fast vice running slow.  its much better (as I did do the 21K last saterday) but I am getting closer to jogging again.  Never thought I would see the day when I missed running...

Have a good weekend all and remember to fly your flag proudly!

• jdcarnes Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    4,392. Jun 29, 2012 12:18 PM (in response to Donna914)

I used to be a penguin....but I think I've graduated to maybe a....hmmm......a goose?? 

I know I'll never be a 6 or 7 min mile runner but as vcackerman said, 'I'm racing to be in better shape and have fun.'!!! And boy oh boy am I having fun!!! (never in a million years did I picture myself saying that I'm having fun running! Used to be, I'd rather have a quadruple root canal as run across my front yard!

Happy running!!

Fastest times:

1 mile 8:03 (8/14/12)

2 mile 17:16 (6/29/12)

5k 31:24

10k 1:10:37

8k 1:29:26

13.1 2:24:58

2012 races:

CJ Y.E.P 5K, Carl Junction, MO 04/29/2012 31:52

Joplin Memorial Half Marathon/5k, Joplin, MO 05/19/2012 31:24 (PR)

The Cancer Challenge 10k Bentonville, AR 6/23/2012 1:10:37 (PR)

2012 upcoming races:

Tulsa Glow Run Tulsa, OK 8/25/2012

Joplin Mother Road Marathon/Half Marathon/5k, Baxter Springs, KS to Joplin, MO 10/14/2012 (registered)

May 24, 2008
    4,393. Jul 4, 2012 7:36 PM (in response to Donna914)

Good day all  Hope all who ran stayed cool.  pushing 100 degrees here but race this morning was in the upper 70's at the start.  I managed 5k today in 11:28 min/ mile pace for finish time of 38:12   Well below my target of 12:30/mile.  This was first race I done with no knee pain since april.  I have found my secret weapon - large coffee at start - drink during race.  keeps me from trying to run too much too early.  I actually hope to start running next week as my knee continues to grow stronger.  Hope all had good 4th

Skoal/OGR44

• JoMoGingerella Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 4, 2012
    4,394. Jul 4, 2012 11:54 PM (in response to Donna914)

Oh gosh!! A Wogger is the best way to describe me lol I run a 16:30mm and I'd love to improve, but I really don't have a support system or anything at all. And my motivation for myself is minimal :-/ it's too dang hot in Joplin this time of year to go running and gyms are expensive! Any suggestions or anyone wanna be "running buddies"?? I could use the moral support!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...