Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577917 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,360. Jul 4, 2012 7:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Good day all  Hope all who ran stayed cool.  pushing 100 degrees here but race this morning was in the upper 70's at the start.  I managed 5k today in 11:28 min/ mile pace for finish time of 38:12   Well below my target of 12:30/mile.  This was first race I done with no knee pain since april.  I have found my secret weapon - large coffee at start - drink during race.  keeps me from trying to run too much too early.  I actually hope to start running next week as my knee continues to grow stronger.  Hope all had good 4th

I've been on travel the past couple of weeks and managed to walk between 5-8Km per day (travel days excepted)  travel was to Viet nam and Thailand - good preparation for the heat on my return although Bangkok was cooler than my home in NoVa!

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,361. Jul 4, 2012 9:20 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Walked 5 miles with dw, bil, & sil. Then ran 5.5 miles 52 min. Then started partying and eating. I had ribs,chicken, beans, potato salad,develed eggs, peach pudding, blackberry cobbler, home made peach ice cream,raw veggies, and bratz.  They had some kind of liquoir that was $280 a bottle and worth every penny. It took my breath away. Watched a big fireworks show.

I have a hard time sleeping in the big city. Charlotte is too noisey for this country boy. Ready to get in my on bed tom.

great pics OC

Speedy jmsab

linus sorry about PF. Ibupropen gel and naproxin 500mg. strech your foot back but don't hold big toe. calf strech. direct ice. friction release. ultra sound treatment. minumus shoes. stay on pavement.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,362. Jul 5, 2012 8:18 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

It's pushing 100+ in Central Wisconsin today.  But I'm NOT complaining.  I sit in this 'icebox' in Janurary and February freezing my rear end off, I don't mind this hot weather at all.  It does interfere with my running schedule though (that's not a 'complaint', lol).

I'm a bit confused by my time from the 5k that I ran on the 4th.  The 'official' posted time was 25:09, but the time from my Nike+ app was 24:24.  I know the distance from the GPS can vary, but the time should be very similiar, no?

Great pics, Coyote.  As much as I enjoy Wisconsin's wilderness and wildlife, for me there's nothing like Colorado and Wyoming.

Running a 5k off road race in Northern Wisconsin on Saturday.

Cheers all!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 221 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3,363. Jul 5, 2012 10:15 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

It was 82, cloudy and humid yesterday.  Beautiful running weather for AZ.  Anything beats blazing sun and 100+ temps.  It was so nice to actually sweat!

Feb 23, 2012
    3,364. Jul 5, 2012 1:18 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

8 miles 68 min.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,365. Jul 5, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to NHLA)

4 miles at 4:1 intervals today.  First mile is always tough but the rest felt pretty good (at least in hindsight).  I figure I'll just increase intervals until I'm back to where I was pre-calf.  I looked back at my log - last year my "go to" distance was  3 miles.  Now it's 4.  Last year my Sunday "long runs" averaged 4-5 miles; now they're averaging 6-8.  Sometimes it helps to look at the big picture.

Nice pix OldCoyote - must be great  territory to run in

NHLA - sounds like a fun 4th

jmsab - speedy race!

MelodyLea - good strong run

Keep up the good work,everyone.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,366. Jul 5, 2012 5:32 PM (in response to Debm2011)

4.5 easy miles this morning.  First time running three days in a row in last two months.  Have to start building mileage back up to be ready for HM training plan starting in two weeks.

NHLA: thanks for the tips on dealing with PF.  Why "stay on pavement"?  Is it the surface that matters or just staying on flatter terrain? 

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,367. Jul 5, 2012 5:34 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Had a sweet 3.5 mile run on the 4th. It turned into a big social run, because I stopped and chatted with neighbors and friends at least 5 times! lol It was lovely. Today I did a little 2.5 mile run on a different route (my dog was actually getting bored with the usual) It was nice to change things up. One of my goals was to string 3 straight days of running together this week, which I did. Yay.

KennethRayhon Nice job on the charity run, thanks for that.

jmsab23 Big congrats on the PR! Whoot whoot! Re: The Maine Half.

Debm2011 High Fives on the Slow and Steady and its IS always good to look at the big picture.

Mary Kay...I feel for you about your mom. I just went through that not too long ago and relied heavily on running to get me through. Hugs.

igotwings Awesome on those long miles!! Whoot.

CKLindsay So wonderful about the swim. Nice to use different muscles, isnt it?

Old Coyote Love the blog! Thanks for sharing with us.

linuscatch That's great of you, supporting your wife in her c25k. Bummer about the plantar fasciatis!! How did you know I was aiming for 9 miles this weekend?

Ogr44 Super about your race and no knee pain! What exotic and interesting places your visiting.

NHLA Sounds like a great 4th celebration! Will be nice for you to get home.

Snerb Stay cool and nice job on your run.

Julie Ann Hackett Nice!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Feb 23, 2012
    3,368. Jul 5, 2012 6:42 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Both, soft surface causes the foot to flex more and hills cause calfs to tighten up. Both hills and soft surface stress acilies tendon and that pulls on the fascia.TM is too soft also. Fascia has very little blood flow so it heals slowly but it does heal.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,369. Jul 5, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Got in a 5-miler tonight after work, mainly because I decided not to run the Saturday 5k I was going to get into. I have a family 50th anniv. celebration at noon, and a couple things to do around the house, so priorities prevail. So today I ran the 5-mile, 2-hill route in 40:29, walking just a little bit of the final hill.  It seemed cooler on the ride home from work than when I was running. I was drenched when I got done.

DebM.... long-term improvement looks good!!

Snerb... similar situation with my 5k yesterday. Printed results sheet, and announced age group places, showed I was second in AG. Results on coolrunnning.com showed I was third in my age group, but I moved up one spot overall?!?! Newspaper results list my time as two seconds faster, too.

NHLA.... All that food and you didn't call us?!?!?! Sounds great.

Ogr.... Welcome home!!

Melody.... Congrats on three consecutive days!!! Reach those goals!!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,370. Jul 5, 2012 8:06 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Old Coyote, Great! pix. You are so fortunate to have such a great area for your runs!

CK, it's a long strip from HI to Philly. What's the occasion? I'm running the Philly marathon (HM) in Nov. The RnR would have been more fun but I was trying to get DD motivated to raise money for Team in Training - but wasn't successful. I'm disappointed. It would have been very easy for her (she's in the music biz) and very rewarding, She's lost a best friend to leukemia and her step brother's son is battling it. So it goes.

Linuscatch, good luck with the PF! NHLA, you are a beast!

MelodyLea, thanks for the warm thoughts about Mom. Those three consecutive days will be a piece of cake soon. 

Been bugged because I'm behind on my HM training. It was wicked hot and we had a thunder storm so running outside was out. Rolled into the gym just in front of the fire brigade. Guess they got hit by lightning. Waited til they were back in business but they never got the AC/ventilation working so it was slightly cooler inside than out. Tried replicating speed intervals on the TM doing 3:1.5 run/walk, with the run at 11.67mm, figuring 3 min = 1/4 mi. Pooped out after only 2.5 mi. and ended up with a 13.42 pace. Ugh! This was slower than Sat's race pace, not faster, but by the time I figured it out, I had cooled down. So, I'm dying to go back out but it's dark. The good news is it's balmy out so maybe it's cooling down. YAY!!

Run strong and enjoy, all!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Rosa Michelle Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    3,371. Jul 6, 2012 1:28 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run rendered me literally dead.. I was tired even when I started.. and when I came near the end.. I was all dead..

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,372. Jul 6, 2012 11:31 AM (in response to degregorius)

Monday 7/2   An after work run, managed to do 7 miles.

Wednesday 7/4  morning run.  Not early enough.  8:30 CST.  Even though people had their sprinklers out (and I strolled through them) it was hot.  pooped out after 4.7 miles.

The 100 plus degre weather in Chicago is supposed to end on Saturday.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

Feb 23, 2012
    3,373. Jul 6, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4.7 miles 40 min. Nice this morning but it got hot.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,374. Jul 6, 2012 5:59 PM (in response to NHLA)

NHLA: thanks again for the advice.  Have use the Strassburg sock the last couple of nights and it really helps also.  One last question, when you suggest minimus shoes, which I have a pair of, are you thinking short term or long term help?

snerb: I had similar experience with race results at Bolder Boulder as my Garmin showed I had run .07 miles longer than the 10k official distance.  Time was the same but obviously affected the final pace.

degregorious: The heat can be suffocating when combined with humidity. We will be in Chicago next month, right in the middle of my HM training so hoping you will be more seasonal by then.

mkayc: thanks for the good wishes on PF...already feeling some improvement.  Be patient with your training.  Like life itself, there will be lots of ups and downs.  The key is to keep getting up and doing it per you plan...you will be thankful in the end that you did.

melodylea: I was just guessing that if you did 8 last week, that your HM plan would require 9 this weekend...or I could say that I am clarivoyant!  You are doing great sticking with your plan so can only imagine that your race will be far better than you think!  Keep up the good work!

debm: what a difference a year makes...you should be proud of your progress!

ogr: nice job on the race...next one will be even better yet!

aluecker and coyote: I am in Broomfield so maybe we can connect soon to do some runs together.  not sure I can keep up, but would be good to try.

We are finally getting some cooler temps and rain here in CO.  Both of the biggest fires are now fully contained and should be out in next couple of months.  With the rain comes more humidity but no complaining here.

Going to do a 5k for brain cancer research in honor of Avery on August 19.  We all miss her so much but know that she is still here with us.

Continued prayers for Caleb, and all others facing challenges.

Easy run tomorrow and then hope for 10 miles on Sunday morning.

Have a great weekend, all, and be fearless in all that you do!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...