Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

54218 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 Previous Next
  • CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Jul 5, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to AnneVant)
    June C25K Starters

@mom2 Have you done your W5D3 yet?  Wondering how your 20 minute run went.  Mine is tomorrow!

@mcmeg How do you like that Run Double program?  Does it utilize the GPS or is it just a time keeper?  I'm using CardioTrainer for my GPS tracking (speed, incline, distance, etc) and ZenLab's C25K timer program (free version). 

@Anne Good job on completing the first day of week 4!  Just keep at it and don't get discouraged if you have to repeat a day.  Even if you do, you are still running and that is excercise!  Better than being on the couch.

I am thinking about my W5D3 20 minute run tomorrow morning.  I have my usual hilly 2.0 mile course, or I have mapped out a 2.2 mile relatively flat route that I can do.  I'm trying to decide which I should do.  Kinda feel like cheating if I take the "easier" flatter route, but I don't think I could hit the monster hill on my usual route without walking any of the 20 minutes and I'm really pushing myself to do this tomorrow without walking at all.  What do you all think?

2.0 mile run.JPG

This is my usual route.

2.2 mile run.JPG

This is my possible new route.

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• mom2katon Amateur 13 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    136. Jul 5, 2012 12:34 PM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    June C25K Starters

Good job everyone -- even if you have to repeat - no worries, you are still moving, so count it as a victory!  I had to extend week 4 by an extra day, but I just finished week 5, and if I can do it -- so can YOU!!

@camero -- I did W5D3 this morning.  I got up early so that I could beat the heat.  I am so proud of myself for doing it!!  I honestly didn't know if I had it in me and am glad to put a check next to it.  This was probably the first time I didn't watch the clock either.  I guess since I knew there were no breaks, I just tucked it away and tried to concentrate on the music and my breathing. I am not setting any pace records, but that isn't my goal.  I think you should do whichever course gives you the most confidence.  I bet that you can do your regular course since that is what you are used to -- but if you have more confidence on the flatter route, then go for it.  My route is fairly flat -- I run at a trail around a bunch of soccer fields.  There is a hill where they run soapbox derby races on the mile loop, but I have stuck to the shorter, flatter 1/2 mile loop for my runs and only done the bigger hill on my walks.  I have also done about 1/2 of my days inside on a treadmill.  This heat is just too much for me unless I get up early.

I am out of town next week, so not sure how that will effect my schedule.  I am hoping to still get in two runs while I am gone. 

Jul 2, 2012
    137. Jul 5, 2012 1:07 PM (in response to mom2katon)
    June C25K Starters

Congrats on completing W5D3!  I am happy to hear you made it.  I'm still not sure which route I'll take but I am actually looking forward to it.  It is hot which is partly why I get up at 5am to run.  It has still been ~80F even at that early hour but the sun is barely peeking up over the horizon so it hasn't felt too bad.  I'm actually more concerned about what I'll do when winter gets here and there is ice/snow everywhere!  I don't have a treadmill, but may need to get one.  Good luck getting those runs in while you are out of town.  I had great intentions to do the same when I was on vacation but never got around to it!  

C25k completed 7/27/2012

• AnneVant Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    138. Jul 5, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    June C25K Starters

Thanks for your encouragement! I think you should do the flat run...then build up to your hilly run. It's not cheating...at all!  Good luck - will be waiting to hear of your success.

Rest day for me tomorrow, then running again on Saturday!

• mcmegger Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    139. Jul 5, 2012 5:53 PM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    June C25K Starters

Camaro - the Run Double program does GPS and keeps count of all the statistics after each interval (speed, distance, and time). It doesn't really keep track of elevation changes but I hear they are working on that in a beta version right now. Its only $1.60 and to me its been totally worth it). I have the cardio trainer too but I like the Run Double better. Here is the speil from their website (the website is super bare bones as its just a web face for the app). http://www.rundouble.com/

Master the Couch to 5K (or C25K) training program with this app for Android phones, which prompts you through your 5K training. Choose a playlist from your music selection, and get on with it. It will track your total and interval distance, giving you pace and distance updates as you run.

• Prompts you to change pace while working through the Couch to 5K training program.
    • Tracks your time, distance and pace, announcing these to you at the end of each interval.
    • Play a playlist of your choosing, from your personal music selection, or alternatively, use another app to play music.
    • View the history of your previous runs on your phone, or online.
    • Additional pace updates at set intervals.
    • Programmable pace warning (target pace).
    • Bridge to 10K (B210K).
    • Ease to 10K (E210K).
    • Open ended runs.

First 2 weeks are included free. You can upgrade for less than a bottle of Gatorade!

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    140. Jul 6, 2012 7:08 AM (in response to mcmegger)
    June C25K Starters

Hi mcmegger,

Just curious if this app will work with the iPod Touch? It looks really cool and easy to follow. Thank you

Kerry

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

May 16, 2010
    141. Jul 6, 2012 9:00 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)
    June C25K Starters

@Camaro -- sooo, how did it go today and which route did you end up choosing????

Jul 2, 2012
    142. Jul 6, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to mom2katon)
    Re: June C25K Starters

@mom2 - Thanks for asking, it feels good to know I have encouragement out there!  It went pretty well I think!  I decided to go the new route since it was something new, plus a little easier than my usual.  I was only able to go 17 minutes (1.5 miles) before stopping to a walk for about a minute.  That was after going up a hill, while not as killer as the one on my main route, it was enough to zap my energy pretty quickly.  But I am encouraged by the fact that I went 17 minutes straight and did that at about an 11 minute mile pace.  I ran another 4 minutes and walked another 3 minutes plus the 5 minute cooldown after that.  Now I need to decide whether to repeat week 5 or go on to 6. 

@mcm  Thanks for the info on that app.  It sounds like a good one and probably easier than my having to run three programs instead of one.  I've run into another problem though.  I bought one of those armbands with the plastic see/touch through screen for my phone (first model Galaxy S) and now it completely blocks my gps signal.  I definitely like using it vs holding it in my hand like I had been doing, but I lose my tracking which is a bummer.  I'm not sure if it is the band or my phone which was notorious for weak gps signal.

C25k completed 7/27/2012

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    143. Jul 7, 2012 1:48 AM (in response to Bauer05)

W5D2 done - have hardly run at all this week, just too much rain to run in the morning before work and transport delays because of the floods meant that I got home from work too late to go run in the gym.  So had to wait for the weekend.

But I managed it - ran the two 8 minute intervals without stopping to walk, and felt as though I could run for longer, and the five minute walk in between just felt as though it was going on forever - I wanted to run!

So, looking forward now to running for 20 minutes without stopping - I can hardly believe it, but I know that it's possible, just trusting to the program to get me through.

• Taurus12 Amateur 26 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    144. Jul 7, 2012 3:24 AM (in response to TisforTiara)

TisforTiara wrote:

But I managed it - ran the two 8 minute intervals without stopping to walk, and felt as though I could run for longer, and the five minute walk in between just felt as though it was going on forever - I wanted to run!

LOL-I laugh because I remember that moment when the "dreaded" long run part turned into "I don't want it to be over." You are a runner plain and simple, we all are and oh I hate the days I do not run. The other day I fell into rhythm almost immediately and it was one of those runs I had only dreamt about before, mile after mile I felt great. It is the same feeling I got when the long rest intervals in the C25K turned into a bigger "pain" than the long run intervals. Glad you are doing so well and enjoying it!

May 16, 2010
    145. Jul 7, 2012 3:57 AM (in response to Taurus12)
    June C25K Starters

@Camaro -- well done!!!  Can you believe a few weeks ago (heck even last week) the thought of running for 17 minutes straight???  You did great.I think you should repeat just the last day until you can run 20 minutes straight -- and you will get there - probably in one more try.  Doubt you need to repeat the whole week, just do a "day 4" for week 5.  I think for week 6 only the first two days have any intervals and then after that it is all just running anyways.  You kept a good pace - mine is slightly slower, so that is the other thing, you could slow your pace down a little to make the full 20 minutes.  Whatever you decide to do, I know you are still going in the right direction  -- so keep up the great work!

@Tiara - good job for not letting the weather provide you excuses -- as soon as you could, you got back out there to run!!!  Keep it up.

• Taurus12 Amateur 26 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    146. Jul 7, 2012 6:29 AM (in response to mom2katon)
    June C25K Starters

I am just so proud of everyone here! We are all out there doing this running thing the best way we can and not giving up on us!!! I did my timed run today and I was able to knock out 4 miles in 33 minutes and 38 seconds which gives me a pace of 8:24 mph not too bad. My point however is that I never thought in a million years that I could do something like this. I remember how daunting those 5, 8, and 20 etc..., minute runs used to be. I have heard it said and said it myself that, it really doesn't matter how long it takes you to run a 5K so long as you finish. Nobody has ever won a race by laying on the sofa and nobody ever loses a 5K that crosses the finish line. So whatever your motivation is keep YOU in mind when you Lace em up and hit the track, trail or treadmill.

• KristiRPhTX Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    147. Jul 7, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to TisforTiara)
    June C25K Starters

@TisforTiara:  WAY TO GO!  It can be so easy to just hang it up when things don't work out for you, so I commend you on hanging in there and finding time to run when you can.  My problem is the heat here right now, not rain.  Not that I'll complain too much--we don't have the 100s in south Texas right now so I'll take what I can get!

Got up early to do W5D2 this morning (trying to beat the heat).  Got into a good rhythm during the first 8 minute run.  My left heel didn't hurt at all until the middle 5 minute walk.  Go figure!  I'm so worried about reinjuring that tendon when I'm running and it hurts worse to walk on it than to run!

I felt like I had a harder time the second 8 minute run. Felt sluggish the entire time and couldn't get into a good rhythm. So imagine my surprise when I was done and checked my distance and it was the farthest I had run! And my pace was the quickest I had run since I injured my heel!  Granted it was still slow by most people's standards, but it was faster for me!  That made my day and now I KNOW I am ready for W5D3 on Monday morning.  Gonna start next week on a good note--I just know it!

• AnneVant Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    148. Jul 7, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to KristiRPhTX)
    June C25K Starters

@KristiRPhTX Good for you. Monday will be fabulous! Monday is my W4D3 - we'll be running early together!

I love when I hit the cool down walk and think I have another cycle to go - or the 1/2 way mark hits what seems "early" to me. Keep it up!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...