Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

789 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 9:28 AM by kathruns RSS
kathruns Pro 79 posts since
Oct 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 7, 2012 7:45 AM

Heat acclimation or time of day?

I prefer running in the morning before work, but every now and then it's nice to change things up.  I tried to run one day last week about 8:00 PM figuring it would be cooler that time of day.  I struggled pretty much after 1 mile ( I ran 3).  During the last half mile I had to walk some before picking up to finish.

I don't know if it was hotter or that my body prefers to run in the morning.  Everytime I have tried to run later in the day I experience the run is much harder when I have no problem with the same distance early in the morning.  The mornings can be quite humid this time of year too, so I'm not too sure it's the heat.

Can my body adjust to running at different times of the day? If so, how do I made the adjustments? Do I run shorter distances at first or just incorporate walking when I feel the need to?  I feel like a failure if I have to walk when I know I can run the distance!

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jul 7, 2012 1:38 PM (in response to kathruns)

Hi Kathy,

I would say it is a combination of things that include adjusting to schedule and training times as well as preparing for late evening running. 

If you prefer to add routes later in the day, the number one prep. advice that I could offer is to also adjust your diet because blood glucose levels tend to drop off (for most of us) after 3:00PM, so consider adding fiber and lean protein (avoiding any refined flour/sugar) and then include a late afternoon snack of something like fruit, nuts, granola.  You could also experiment with 6 smaller portions (as opposed to three larger meals) on days that you plan to run later. 

Running in the evening is more difficult for a lot of reasons, but you can certainly adjust to the schedule if that is your goal.  Again, diet choices are key to maintain energy levels.   Another option is to split the miles so that you have a couple of days running in the early AM before work and then adding a routine in the evening (same day).  Regardless, you are never a failure because getting out the door is an accomplishment, so be proud of your progress and determination to continue working on the best schedule for the future. 

Changing the routine is always a challenge, so consider a combination of schedules or whatever makes you the most comfortable with moving forward  Also, always remember to modify the other things in your life that support the best running environment for you. 

Hope this helps and wishing you continued success. 

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    3. Jul 9, 2012 8:00 AM (in response to kathruns)

I run at 5:30am right after dragging myself out of bed, mainly to beat the heat.  I have wondered though, how I would do if I had any food in my system before a run.  I eat supper at ~6pm and have pretty much no fuel in the tank by the mornings.  The lack of fuel in the morning may be no different than having no energy in the evening after a 10 hour work day though.

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...