Skip navigation

1088 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 8:57 AM by KD35isbeast
Poohdini25 Amateur 27 posts since
Jan 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2012 9:56 AM

What do I do?

I am in the questioning of whether or not I want to play organized basketball any longer. I don't want to try out for my high school varsity team because I will be a bench warmer or be cut. The question I really want to know though is will practicing on my game still benefit me personally even if I don't play organized sports?

• JonsLewis Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    1. Jul 6, 2012 2:24 PM (in response to Poohdini25)
    What do I do?

You got to go with your gut feeling ill tell you something i just graduated and i played AAU and i was coming of the bench but at 1st i was defestated and really thought about quieting but everyday after practice before practice i worked on all phases of my game and by the time i was a junior i was a starter and brought my team to win 3 back to back tournaments but the key thing is to never give up and belive that your better then what you think you are if you dont have the confidence you have no chance of progressing the stars can over come any opsticle in their path and as long as you work hard and you show promising potentiol without a dought your coach will call your number just dont over do or over think anything and just play ball and have fun doing it trust me you will have no regret good luck

• JonsLewis Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    3. Jul 6, 2012 7:51 PM (in response to Poohdini25)
    What do I do?

Number one thing i always did was work on my fundamentals make sure you really have the basics down and it really hepls to have a high basketball IQ some of things i did before practices and games was shoot free throws and learn to follow your shot this keeps you disaplane by mastering your shot and also beeing able to track down your rebounds for example rajon rondo is smaller then me but yet what makes him a great rebounder is that he follows his shoots trust me once you get it down ull always be able to get the rebound.

as far as after practies thats usually when i worked harder i always was by myself and i always worked on my game i always dribbled around as fast as i could i shoot around untill the cops showed up and n i played and played every day and i still do to this day its important you stick to this rutine because size and strangth mean nothing if you have the skill you can become more then what people make of you

One key thing is to update your basketball IQ after i graduated i got a scolorship to play for Providence collage friers in the atlantic 10 division i also had gotton many others from division 1 schools and it really came down because i had the smarts of the game try this off season by getting involved in coaching or becomeing a assatant coach coaching helps exspand your knoledge of the game and really test your situational basketball skills coaching is differnt from playing you have to be a team player you have to be a motivater and you have to have quick reactions to situations because when i was coaching i started running differnt sets and it helped me notice and made me better at reading defenders this coaching helped my game so much that it really took notice to my coach the following season.

But no matter what work outs you do or what drills u run nothing and i mean nothing can judge effort and as long as you show effort on a day to day bases trust me you will be the one commin away with the better end remmber work hard and play ball everyday every minute you get and it will pan out for you

good luck

• KD35isbeast Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 11, 2012
    5. Jul 11, 2012 8:57 AM (in response to Poohdini25)
    What do I do?

Here in Portugal in my club, there are 2 teams for my rank: the iniciados (rank from 12 to 14 years old) A and the iniciados B.

The iniciados A are the stronger team and the iniciados B are the weaker team.

I started playing for the A team but I was a bench warmer so the coach sent me to the B team.

I was disappointed with myself but I never gave up.

I averaged 23 ppg, 15 rpg, 1 apg, 4 bpg, 2 spg and I continued to focus on improving my skills.

Now, in the next season I'm going  to play for the A team

I have one advice for you: never give up, always give everything you have on the court.

Hard work beats talent whem talent doesn´t work hard.- Kevin Durant

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points