Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

906 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 6:52 AM by Snerb RSS
JosephHD Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2012 11:51 AM

Having some issues with running time, any tips?

Hello all, I'm Joe, a 17 y/o in Bethlehem, PA. I'm trying to get in good shape for my High School's Lacrosse team, but I've never been in great physical shape, so I've committed my summer vacation to getting in shape. I've been trying C25K the past month with great success, and losing more much more weight than I thought possible with proper dieting, but now I've hit a wall at week 4. For the five-minute jog, I'm having a hard time both physically and mentally pushing myself past the 3 minute mark, eventually forcing myself to stop because I have pains in my legs or chest, having difficulty breathing, or just convince myself I can't reach the 5 minute mark and stop without even trying. Can someone offer advice to me to help me break through this barrier?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jul 5, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to JosephHD)

Two words: SLOW DOWN!  Any healthy 17 yo should be able to run for 5 minutes at a moderate pace.  The key is running at a moderate pace.

Len

Len

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 7, 2012 6:04 PM (in response to JosephHD)

It took me until I was 35 to understand how to run for more than a few minutes at a time. I always thought runners ran as fast as they could all the time. When i learned and understood pacing yourself as a runner, running for distance was easy.

Slow down.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3. Jul 10, 2012 6:52 AM (in response to JosephHD)

Echoing Lenzlaw and Joeadd, SLOW DOWN.

True story....My then 16 year old son started running with me late last year.  Like most 16 year olds (I was one too), he thought he had all the answers for 'how to run'.  He pooped out about 2.5 miles into my 5 mile route.  Four days later I aksed him to run WITH me and stay next to me at my pace (about 8:20/mile).  He did the 5 mile route without feeling the need to walk.  Simply put, he was running to fast the first time.

So, slow down and I suspect your 5 minute problems will turn into a comfortable 5 miles.

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...