Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

902785 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 Previous Next
  • Wayna72 Pro 113 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,395. Jul 5, 2012 5:54 AM (in response to JoMoGingerella)
    Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

not sure if you have a YWCA or YMCA in your area. or even look at the running stores they might have a training group you can join. Here in Tulsa we have 3 groups. Runners world ( witch is the best and not because its free) Fleet Feet and we have a 6 miller on Wed. from one of the other store. you might look there.

Wayna

Will Run 4 Food 5k-56mins (first 5k) 6/5/10
    Walk for Life/Run for Adoptions 9/18/10 51:56
    John 3:16 run 5k 52:57 mins chip time. (all hills) 10/23/10
    Steps for sucess on Route 66 11/22/10 51:09
    Poker Run 2/11 no time
    St Patrick 5K 52mins 3/12/11
    YWCA Race againest Racism 48 min 4/30/11
    Run to the Sun 45:32 9/5/2011
    Route 66 1/2 marathon 11/11 3:43
    Aquarium Run 4/12 3:33
    Tulsa Run 15k 2:22
    Route 66 Marathon. 11/18

• ccooper098 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 3, 2012
    4,396. Jul 5, 2012 9:48 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hello everyone..... I'm a newbie not only to the Couch to 5K, but also to threading.... (that's my wording for joining a forum, reading and responding to posts0.  Yesterday was my first day of the C25K program.  I didn't know which option to chose between speed or distance, so I opted for distance thinking it would be a slower pace.  I've never ran before and have never been much of a walker.  I have some questions.... I live in Louisiana.  So with that in mind, do people carry water bottles with them while exercising/training? Or is it best to hydrate before and after? Is it better to exercise in the am or pm? ( can people get amped up after a run and not be able to wind down for bed time or is your energy increased so it's better to start the day off with a run?) Proper body posture? I read someone wrote about posture and preventing shin splints because you run with the front of your foot? I'm not sure how I actually step when i'm running ( heel toe or pretty much an even step), I'll have to pay attention to that tomorrow. I don't have much as far as exercise apparel.  I've got my sports bra, and a pair of Asic shoes.  Other than that, 2 pair exercise pants and random oversized t shirts.... Any suggestions on where to get good quality, fashionable ( I'm not high mainenanced, but I am a girl!! hahahaha), apparel and accessories (sunglasses, gps stuff, timers, etc...) made for running/jogging/walking? Also, as I was reading some of the replies I noticed after peoples' distances, they put 15mm etc.... what is that and how do you monitor your time?  I appreciate all the feedback and I hope I follow through with completing the program....

thanks again!! Week 1 Day 2 of C25K!!

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    4,397. Jul 5, 2012 5:55 PM (in response to ccooper098)

Hi ccooper   I hope the first week goes well for you.  I assume Louisana is going through the same heatwave as most of the country so be careful out ther

There is another option you should consider as opposed to speed or distance and that's time.  You could go out and plan to do 30 minutes at the slow pace you choose and not worry about the speed or distance.  Just the fact that you are out there moving is a good start.  Then once you've completed the program, you could choose to increase speed or distance depending on your goals.  Just don't try for both at the same time - it could lead to injuries.

I carry water when I run.  I live in Chicago.  I used to have a fuel belt with 4 bottles and I'd fill 2 with water and 2 with whatever electrolyte fluid I was using.  I use Nuun tablets now.  Now that I'm more experienced (and have had time to scope out where all the best water fountains are in my town) I run with a belt with a single water bottle that sits in the small of my back.  Sometimes I'll carry a throwaway bottle too.  There has been a lot of info about hydrating lately on facebook with the heatwave.  The "new" standard is to drink to thirst.  I'll attach one of the short articles from one of my local running store at the end here.

I think when you run is an individual thing.  I prefer evening but in the heat I've been doing morning.  It's coolest at dawn and the road or asphalt has had time to lose some of its heat from the day before.  When I run in the evening, I usually run at least 3 hours before bed.

There is also a lot of info out there about posture.  And then you will find more info that says exactly the opposite.  For now, just starting out, I think the important thing is to get fitted by a professional for shoes, wear wicking clothes (no cotton) and put one foot in front of each other.  You will figure out everything else as you go.  No one can tell you what is good for you.  Once you are feeling more comfortable, many running stores also offer "how to run" seminars if you are interested.   You can get some cute wicking clothes fairly inexpensively someplace like Target or Sportsmart.  Don't overlook the importance of wearing socks made for running too.  I buy cheap (really cheap) sunglasses to wear as I tend to lose or break them at least once a month. 

Your best bet for all those things would be a running store.  If there is a big race scheduled near you that will have an expo that is a good place to browse and see a bunch of stuff all at once.  I tend to buy a lot of my stuff from runningwarehouse.com. 

15mm would be a 15 minute mile ie they run one mile in 15 minutes.  You can figure this out with an ordinary watch, a stopwatch, a GPS watch or on a treadmill.  I would probably hold off on getting a GPS watch until you are more aware of what you would want and what would be useful for you.  They tend to be pricey and there are a lot of options.

Please check in and let us know how it goes!  Be aware that some people do feel the need to repeat weeks of the program or even go slower with it.  That's ok.  Do what's good for you and your life.  If it becomes a chore you might not want to continue.  Running should be fun though it can be hard and it can hurt there is still a certain joy about it.

Here is that article about hydrating and running in the heat:

Running in heat and humidity can put you at risk for dehydration, heat stroke and other heat-related illnesses. Common sense is the key to avoiding problems, so be sure to follow these precautions:

Stay Hydrated

The easiest way to avoid heat disorders is to keep your body hydrated. This means drinking fluids before, during and after exercise. The body's fluid needs vary with exertion, climate, humidity, terrain, and other factors. The new fluid recommendations for runners say that they should "obey your thirst" and drink when their mouth is dry and they feel the need to drink. In training, drink before workouts and make sure you have access to fluids if exercising longer than 30 minutes. During longer workouts, some of your fluid intake should include a sports drink (like Gatorade) to replace lost salt and other minerals (electrolytes). During the hot days, no matter the distance carry a hand held bottle with fluid or a fuel belt. Any questions on hydration on the run, give us a shout here at USOLE!

Choose Clothing Carefully

Light-colored, loose-fitting clothing will help your body breathe and cool itself down naturally. Tight clothing restricts that process and dark colors absorb the sun's light and heat. Wear synthetic fabrics (not cotton) because they will wick moisture away from your skin so cooling evaporation can occur. Be sure also to apply Body Glide or other anti-chaffing products as excessive sweat and water cause more chaffing!

Run Early or Late

Try to avoid running between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun's intensity is at its greatest. If you must train during those hours, try to stick to shady roads or trails. Morning (before sunrise or right after) is the coolest time of the day to run since the roads have not heated up during the day. In Chicago, sticking to neighborhood streets provide a lot of shade and sometimes many sprinklers going to help cool you off as well.

Wear Sunscreen

Protect your skin with a waterproof sunscreen that has an SPF of at least 15 and offers broad spectrum protection, which means it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Stick formulations are good for runners' faces because the sunscreen won't run into your eyes.

Don't Push It

On a race day (or during any intense workout), take weather conditions into account. Brutal heat and humidity mean you should scale back your performance goals. Don't try to beat the heat. Hot and humid conditions are not the time to try to push your pace. Slow down, take walking breaks, and save your hard efforts for cooler weather.

Make A Splash

Use water to cool yourself during runs. If you are overheating, splashing water on your head and body will cool you down quickly and have a lasting effect as the water evaporates from your skin. During runs, be sure to stop at many of the water fountains on the Lakefront Path or in neighborhood parks!

Be Educated

You should be very familiar with the signs of heat problems so you recognize them in yourself or in a running partner. If you feel faint, dizzy, disoriented, have stopped sweating, or your skin is cool and clammy, slow down or stop running, and get some fluids. If symptoms continue, sit or lie down in the shade and seek help. Know your routes as well and during hot weather, be sure you run by water fountains on the Lakefront path or city parks if running in the neighborhoods!

*Tips for Running In Hot Weather brought to you by Universal Sole, About.com & Christine Luff.

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• just1deb Amateur 24 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    4,398. Jul 6, 2012 1:41 PM (in response to indigopet)

Hi all, my name is Deb, and yes, I too am a runner and a penguin. I did the C25K last year, but I'm afraid I "fell off the wagon" over the winter a bit, and now I'm paying for it. My good days, I do just over a 13 minute mile, but I'd like to do a little better over time. My goals are not lofty - I just want not to be passed by walkers! I think I'd be happy with 11-12 minutes. (I say that now - I imagine if I got to 11 minutes, I'd want 10. )

Anyway, it's been in the upper 90's (both the temperature and the humidity!) now for over a week straight, so I'm pushing myself out of bed early for my runs. Just as indigopet recommends, I always carry water, even if I'm not running very far. But I'm wondering what anyone might suggest to keep the sweat from rolling down into my eyes. I wear hats to keep the sun off my nose, but are there any hats that include a nice thick sweatband built in???

C25K started 4/15/2011

Graduated 6/24/2011

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    4,399. Jul 7, 2012 5:22 PM (in response to just1deb)

Hi Deb!

I've got a wicking running hat that I bought at a running store that has a bit of a sweatband built in.  I have a visor with a thicker sweatband but then the top of my head is exposed to the sun.  And if I don't wear a hat, I wear one of the cute wicking headbands that you can find all over these days.  My favorites are Bondi Band or Active Band.

My hat:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46886&vid=1&pid=905889

My visor:

http://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/7713-Skirt-Sports-Visor

Headbands:

http://www.bondiband.com/

http://www.activeheadbands.com/

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• Elizabeth12541 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    4,400. Jul 7, 2012 9:14 PM (in response to indigopet)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Just did my first 4K, but spent more time walking than I would have liked. Our temps in the pacific NW climbed into the 80's today after I had been comfortably training in the 60's. Now I have a nasty headache. Still determined to follow thru with the c25k program though. I had gone thru week 5 before this 4 K and it had worked well for me along with some pointers from chi running. Anyone else combine chi running with c25k?

• WillieB27 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 1, 2012
    4,401. Jul 10, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to Donna914)

Good Morning Fellow Penquin!

I love the term wogger. I am a 60 yr old woman new to wogging. I have done a few 5ks on Thanksgiving with my running daughter and thought that I could do a 10k. My first was done in 1h40m and I came in dead last. But I finished. The 2nd 10k was not so pretty. Finished in over 2hours and dead last again!! But everyone along the route was cheering me on and I was determined to finish. Well, I must be in a mid life crisis because I signed up for another 10k in September with the same running daughter as a team. But this time I am going back to the C25K. Started this am 2.3m in 25 min. Will go to the gym for strength training. Would love to finish this race in 1h30m but time doesn't matter. Just would like not to be last. No matter how slow. . .we are still faster than the guy on the couch. Thanks for letting me vent.

• 2banonymous Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 29, 2008
    4,402. Jul 12, 2012 7:10 AM (in response to Elizabeth12541)

Don't give up on the C25K program.  I've been an avid runner for over 20 years.  (I'm now 41.)  Despite my experience, I have slowly been slowing down and am now firmly in the slow runner category.  (I run a 9.5 mm.)  I am determined to reverse this trend and am now actively working on trying to improve my speed, which was something I obviously never worked on.)  Anyway, I digress.  My 10 year-old daughter came home with a paper that her school was doing called girls who run.  I works on teaching girls self esteem through running.  I thought it was a great idea, but didn't want to pay the $150 cost of the program.  So, I started my daughter and my son on the C25K program back in March of this year.  (I got my husband running years ago, so he runs, too.)  I wanted to show them that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.  For most of the program, one or both of them really fought us and thought the whole thing was ridiculous.  But, they finished the program.  (We worked on it together as a family with my husband and I each coaching a kid.)  At the beginning of the program we found a 5K race that started in the evening on a weekday that coincided with us finishing the program.  We signed all four of us up for it.  Both of my kids finished the entire 5K without stopping.  (My son ran it in 29 minutes and my daughter ran it in 36 minutes.)  It was brutally hot that evening: 93 degrees at race time.  I actually spent the entire race trying to keep up with my turkey of a son who was the hardest to convince to finish the program.  But, what suprised us most is that they both want to do another 5K in the fall and they want to work on their speed this time.  I proved to them (especially my daughter who is not very athletic) that you truly can do anything if you work hard enough.  Plus, getting out-run by my 8 year-old has been the kick in the pants I needed to work on my own speed.  Keep up the good work guys!  If my kids can do it, I know you all can, too! 

• TonaH Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    4,403. Jul 12, 2012 2:28 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hello fellow Penguins!  I just took a year off from half marathons.  I had a bit of burnout from doing too many.  Now I am starting back up again, but am limiting it to 2 a year to prevent another burnout.  My next race is the Bridges Half Marathon in Chattanooga in October, so I will have to start training by the first of August.  I am lucky that I have my husband and a small group of friends to do these races with, which makes it a lot more fun.  We make a big production out of our races.  We have a pre-race dinner (usually Italian), and post race beer drinking, followed by naps and meeting up again for a celebration dinner.  We have fast runners, walkers, and walk/trotters in our group, but we all consider each other equals.  I am a walk/trotter.  I mostly walk these days.  My half marathon is about 10 miles of walking and 3 miles of trotting. 

I loved the No Need for Speed book.  A must read for every Penguin!

• elehner Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    4,404. Jul 12, 2012 4:49 PM (in response to Donna914)

Thanks for the Penguin Thread. I am 71 years old and run around 20 miles a week three days a week. I am slow, 13.3 minutes/mile. All I ever see are training programs for much younger runners, which is disconcerting. I would love to see some good training articles for us older and/or slower runners.

• NativeBarbie Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 7, 2009
    4,405. Jul 14, 2012 5:23 AM (in response to Elizabeth12541)

I have the Chirunning book...I should probably read it. Then I shall let you know.

• Elizabeth12541 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    4,406. Jul 15, 2012 10:46 PM (in response to 2banonymous)

Thanks 2b - I took a break this past week after the 4K and started back again today in earnest. I decided to go back to week 4 (but ended up playing the podcase from week 3 by mistake) and then go forward from there to train up until Aug 25th for the local 5K to benefit the county animal shelter ("run like a dog"). I think I need to stick with fun runs for awhile until I feel more confident about my pace and ability to run consistently. The timed races are too much pressure! I would love to get one or both of my girls involved in this - one is a dancer, the other a soccer player. I'll let you know if I can coax them into doing it with me!

• Laura Bug Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    4,407. Jul 17, 2012 4:37 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hello! Just came across this blog and thought I would check it out since I have read some of John's books. I have been doing 5ks for about two years now. A walk/run about 16mm. It has been slow going since I need to lose weight and have foot problems. But I am determined to run (however slow) a 5k and the a 10k. Also glad to see some folks my age (50).

• Laura Bug Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    4,408. Jul 17, 2012 4:39 PM (in response to Laura Bug)

And is there some trick to having this thing use your user name. I have checked my account three times tonight and can not get it to switch to my user name. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4,409. Jul 17, 2012 7:21 PM (in response to Laura Bug)

You see your "real name".  Everybody else sees your "screen name".  You can check by logging out then looking at your posts.

Len

Len

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...