Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

913 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2012 9:59 PM by MarcusB092 RSS
ShoeGoo Amateur 20 posts since
May 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2012 10:17 AM

Effort vs. intensity in 8 mile run

Today I ran an 8 mile run, it was a little above steady state for the most part, what I noticed, and this has happened several times before, is around mile 5, my heart rate drops a little and it seems easier to carry the same pace, sometimes the pace will even pick up a little. I thought earlier this year, it was just getting warmed up after the first mile or two or three, but now that it's hot out, I can really notice the change, and it's later in the run.

What's going on here?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jun 14, 2012 11:54 AM (in response to ShoeGoo)

I am not sure but for me a lot of the time after I reach the 1/2 point it get easier I think my mine just lets up! 

• ydiez Pro 120 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    2. Jun 15, 2012 12:46 AM (in response to ShoeGoo)

ShoeGoo wrote:

Today I ran an 8 mile run, it was a little above steady state for the most part, what I noticed, and this has happened several times before, is around mile 5, my heart rate drops a little and it seems easier to carry the same pace, sometimes the pace will even pick up a little. I thought earlier this year, it was just getting warmed up after the first mile or two or three, but now that it's hot out, I can really notice the change, and it's later in the run.

What's going on here?

Many many possible factors here (wheather, time of day, diet,...) . I would say most likely it's a psicological reaction to certain body signs. In my case, I used to experience a similar effect but reversed, from mile three to mile four it was difficult to keep the same pace, It was not that I could'nt but I would just struggle a bit. I used to think that this happened because there was a short slightly uphill part or because of the wind that usually hits frontally there, but I started changing course and the same happened.

In the end, I have learned that my body has some peaks and drops in performance, so I do not worry too much, some days it is really easy to keep a high pace and some others it is dnot. Even in the same run I can feel really tired in mile 3 and still finish 11-12 miles with a good time and feeling strong in the end.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    4. Jul 7, 2012 9:59 PM (in response to ShoeGoo)

IF this helps you sometimes I would start running faster after  even 45 minutes in really long runs. Of course I couldn't be still warming up that long could I? That happened to me here and there all the time when i used to be in good shape. It just means your engine is still getting fired up and that is a good sign. Just as you don't overtrain or run in direct July sunlight you will be fine dont worry about it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points