Skip navigation

523 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 6:30 AM by BOSNPM RSS
MariahAU Legend 227 posts since
Mar 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2012 6:03 PM

Here we go again?!!

Hello Hello old friends! I have been MIA for awhile, but after taking last year off and feeling like I had no purpose in life I bit the bullet and signed up again. I think this is 6 or 7 Marine Corps Marathons for me. Last time I did it I did not train and it was a painful experience that I am hoping to not repeat. That being said.. I am late in the game to start training. My "plan" was to do 4 miles everyday in June to get back into running. I am now doing 6 miles everyday.. 8 miles in August.. and then 10's in Sept. Thoughts? setting myself up for failure? I might throw in a 20 before I buy my plane ticket just for my mental sake, but after 6 marathons I know whats going to happen and how I am going to want to die... but I also know the feeling of climbing that final hill and telling all the people who thought I couldnt do it to SHOVE it.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 8, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to MariahAU)
    Here we go again?!!

Hey you! As long as you've got a decent base, which it sounds like you do, there's no reason it should be "too late" to start training. I don't start my official training until July 1. Are you varying the distance of your runs? From your description I can't tell. You do need to do a longer run each week, generally speaking, to build your endurance.

We'll talk about feeling like you want to die when I get back from my first ultra next weekend.

I cannot believe I typed that sentence. Because, of course, I mean my ONLY ultra, ever. Since I am on the record (on this very message board, in fact) as saying "that sh!t's crazy. No way am I ever doing one of those."

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 8, 2012 7:54 PM (in response to MariahAU)
    Here we go again?!!

You're doing 6 miles a day, 7 days a week?  First, you need to take at least one rest day a week. Your body needs time to recover.  Second, skip going to 8 miles a day in August.  Instead, start adding 1 mile per week to one of those runs, working up to 20 miles at least 3 weeks before the marathon.  Probably the best day for this run is the day before your rest day.  This is a basic plan that should get you in reasonable shape for the marathon.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jul 9, 2012 6:30 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Here we go again?!!

+1 on Len, at least pick a plan that has some purpose.  You need at least 1 day of rest.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...