Skip navigation

3332 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2012 10:05 AM by StephensBob RSS
TriPurple Rookie 5 posts since
Mar 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 9, 2012 12:54 PM

Selecting a Bike Seat

I know this one of the most personal of all equipment selections but I'm curious if there is any general guidance that would be applicable in selecting a 'better bike seat'.  I'm 5"11 165, fairly flexible, ride a typical Tri Set up and tend to ride near the nose.  My current seat (Acuna) is about 4 years old and I consistently see that after 60 miles it becomes difficult at best to remain seated.  Given you can't do a 60 mile test ride before buying are there some items I should look for when shopping, any brands come to mind?  Any help would be much appreciated, thanks, hc

• ACKMANN Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    1. Jul 10, 2012 1:16 PM (in response to TriPurple)
    Selecting a Bike Seat

Not sure the answer is "Given you can't do a 60 mile test ride before buying...".  You might be able to find a local bike shop that will rent you a saddle for a week or so before you buy it.  We have a shop in town that is geared toward triathletes that rents them for $30, and it applies to the saddle if you buy it.  Might be worth a look around.

If you go to the website for ISM, they have a Locations link.  Their retailers might have rental programs.  Maybe not all do, but ours does.

Can't say ISM is good or bad, never used one, but am considering a look at their saddles this winter.  The shop does trainer workouts too, and I'm going to see if I can try them out when I do a class with them.  Can't hurt to ask.

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    2. Jul 11, 2012 10:34 AM (in response to TriPurple)
    Selecting a Bike Seat

You may also look into John Cobb saddles (Google his website). He designed the original ISM sadles has now has his own line. He offers a 180 day return guarantee that I didn't need to take him up on. My local tri shop also had demos to use for a week.I have tried a number of saddles fro tris and road bikes and this one is best for me.

Good luck and have fun.

BT

• Patrick McCrann Pro 13 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jul 12, 2012 4:23 AM (in response to TriPurple)
    Selecting a Bike Seat

My solution: Shop Local. This is why we need to continue to support local shops...find out what their return policy is, and explain your situation...most should be willing to take the seat back as long as there is no damage, etc, and you should be able to put in a week's worth of riding on it...you'll know pretty quickly if it works for you or not. Good luck...I am in the same situation right now!!!

+++++++++++++++++

Triathlon:

Running:

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    4. Aug 9, 2012 2:36 PM (in response to TriPurple)
    Selecting a Bike Seat

Saddles are very specific.  I can tell you which ones I love and you may hate them.  There are LBS that will allow you to try them.  You can also buy it, try it and if you ont like it sell it!

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• StephensBob Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 13, 2009
    5. Aug 24, 2012 10:05 AM (in response to TriPurple)
    Selecting a Bike Seat

I switched to the ISM saddle fromAdamo a few years ago and highly recommend it.  One tip, conventional bike shorts have too much padding for this saddle.  I wear tri shorts. I believe TriSports.com has a loaner plan for this saddle.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points