Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1074 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 3:50 AM by mishulator
mishulator Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 9, 2012 4:18 AM

HELP - Mortons Neuroma - Operation?

Hi - I started running again after the birth of my 2nd child 2 years ago - I was loving it, getting fit and losing weight.  I had been very active playing sports all of my life and often got schin splints and had been given orthotics for this.  I commenced getting pain in my foot and was also playing netball at the time and just thought it was a little niggly pain so kept playing netball and running/walking approxi 6-8 klms around 4-6 times a week.  The pain between the little toe and next on approximately 2 cm towards my leg started to worsen, I went to a podietrist at the time and mentioned it and she put a small piece in my orthotics but it didn't improve it at all - I kept running - I then saw and orthapedic surgeon who tooks a bone scan and I had a MRI which showed nothing  - I had cortizone injections which had little affect and anti inflamtory injected which didn imporve it for about a week.  I have now not ran or exercised on it over over 1 year and given I am only 39 I am totally frustrated - it can hurt just by dashing around doing the groceries.  I am contemplating getting the nerve cut - although again nothings shows up on the MRI but I am guessing from what I have read the nerve has thickened.  It hurts on a daily basis and this depends on the shoes - or especially when I don't have shoes on as my feet are very flat and this puts more pressure on the area - can anyone tell me their story and operation stories, I just want this to go away so I can at least go on long walks/runs again!!   I have been told that I will loose feeling in my toe, which sort of scares me and also warned that there are risks invovled and it may not fix the problem - but really considering taking the risk - anyone advice please!!  Desperate!!

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Jul 9, 2012 5:43 AM (in response to mishulator)
    Re: HELP - Mortons Neuroma - Operation?

Hi Mish,  You might try posting this in the "Med Tent" section also.

For  another take, I recommend you to my friend, TJ, who moderates the Barefoot Runners Society web site.  She's been through an awful lot with this Mortons Neuroma, and has written many times of her experiences, including the operations (yes, plural) and recovery from same.  She'd be very happy to share with you and help you as best she can.  She is one of the world's good souls.

Look her up at TheBarefootRunnersdotOrg.  As I wrote, she is the director and genius running the site, so she can be contacted through the "members" directory.  You could get to her via their Facebook page, too, I'd think, if that's more convenient for you.

Good luck to you!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• BarefootTJ Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2012
    2. Jul 9, 2012 10:40 AM (in response to Joseph Tree)

Fancy meeting you here, Mr. JT.  Thanks for the nice compliments too.  I am blushing.  Now get back to the BRS!  Hee.

Mish, I can hear the frustration through your keyboard.  Trust me.  I know what it's like.  There's a new bulletin board discussion forum that's been developed for people who suffer with Morton's Neuroma where we talk about the various treatment options for MN.  I created this thread at Active previously, so I've copied it here.  Please join us over at the new forum (see link below), and I and others will answer your questions based on our experiences.

Morton's Neuroma is a condition that seems to affect runners a great deal considering the types of shoes we wear; studies show the number one cause of MN is the types of shoes we wear.

There is a new bulletin board/forum website completely dedicated to Morton's Neuroma named Morton's Neuroma Talk!!!! MN Talk is a FREE discussion support group for those of us who are dealing with Morton's Neuroma where we can talk about this condition, how it is treated, and how it has effected our lives.

After some research I found that there truly isn't a dedicated bulletin board for MN out there.  There are sites here and there who talk about health and medical conditions, etc., that may or may not talk about MN from time-to-time, hit or miss, but none dedicated solely to this condition. 

I fully expect this brand new forum group to soon be jam packed with lots of information and advice from many experienced MN sufferers.

The address is http://www.mortonsneuromatalk.com. Please check it out, and definitely, if you know someone who has this condition, please share the web address with them.

We will be getting a logo soon.

Sorry that this is my first post here, but I am just trying to help others.

Thanks! -TJ

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    3. Jul 10, 2012 4:37 AM (in response to BarefootTJ)

Well, Hi there Ms. TJ,  I'm glad you're watchful eye is on the job.

Mish, I hope you find TJ's info helpful.

Good luck!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...