Skip navigation

1413 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 11:00 AM by Kyle_ RSS
Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2012 3:42 AM

What constitutes an "unmistakable" appeal?

R1.  B2 hits a deep ball to Left Center Field.  R1 tags up after the catch and advances safely to 2B.  (He is now the winning run in scoring positon.)

Ball still in play, and the DM yells at F4 (who is retrieving the ball from F8) to throw to first base.  He throws to F3 who steps on the bag.  That's it!  No discussion!  No claim that R1 left early.

I would suggest that everybody in that ball park knew what was going on, but how "unmistakable" were the actions of the defense to constitute of legal appeal?

What criteria do you use that make an appeal legit?

Mike CVUA

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jul 11, 2012 9:46 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

I wouldn't have ruled on your play right away.  It's just not that "clear and unmistakable" to me.

The only appeals where I wouldn't need a verbal request is when it is obvious that a runner failed to tag up properly on a caught fly ball (e.g., he's already at the next base when the ball is caught, he's trying to high-tail it back to the base before the throw gets there, etc.)  When it's a case where the runner left the base just as the ball is caught, they need to tell me what they're doing.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jul 11, 2012 10:01 AM (in response to Manny_A)

Mike's play does seem obvious to me.

Mike - if it's obvious to you that the defense is actually appealing something then it's obvious.  Trite.  True.

• NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    4. Jul 11, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

I prefer a verbal request from the player making the appeal. 

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Jul 11, 2012 8:12 PM (in response to NELL_blue)
    Re: What constitutes an "unmistakable" appeal?

Even if you and everyone in the park knows it's an appeal?

R2 - leads off - line drive caught by F6 in flight - F6 throws to F4 on 2B before R2 gets back.  You require a verbal?  If so why?

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Jul 12, 2012 11:00 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

It's situational. Sometimes there's only one reason the defense is doing what they're doing. Plus, you're going to hear directions from the dugout, so you know what's going on. No need for an 11 year to try to stumble through verbalizing it, if you can avoid it.

Other times, like a missed plate on a grand slam, you're going to need to be asked the right question.

In the OP, the defense would have been wise just throw it to second, and tag the runner to make the appeal, instead of tossing it over to first. But again, that's just bad coaching.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points