Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

8240 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2012 2:59 PM by runazrun
Imma TriGirl Rookie 1 posts since
May 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2012 7:44 AM

Good first time Ironman races

I have completed a 70.3 Ironman and am looking for opinions on which of the full Ironman races would be good for a first time.

• BetsyBiorn Amateur 8 posts since
    May 25, 2010
    1. Jun 18, 2012 9:36 AM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

I did Vineman as my first and thought it was very beginner friendly.... waved start, river swim, rolling hills on bike, no big climbs, well supported on bike and run.

• superunner Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 5, 2008
    2. Jun 20, 2012 7:27 AM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

My first was Lake Placid but it is a tough course and a crowded swim start and I would recommend it if you are confident in your race abilities.  Louisville was a great race because the swim has a staggered start and the rest of the course is rolling hills.  All Ironman races have good support and are run smoothly, so I would pick based on convenience/location and the difficulty of the course.  Good luck and congrats on deciding to move to the full distance!

TRIbook | Triathlon Training Resources

• Billy137 Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 8, 2012
    3. Jun 20, 2012 8:32 AM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

I agree with SuperRunner.  Although I have only done 1 Ironman, it was this most recent St. George Ironman that I did.  I'm sure there are "easier" courses and all that as far as an Ironman is concerned, but my thought was if I was going to do something like an Ironman I wasn't going to look around and find the easiest one just to say I did one.  I live in Central Utah so St. George was by far the closest one so I chose it.  The support was excellent and the race was ran very well.  As a first timer, I was very happy about those things.  If you are going to train for an Ironman, just make a choice and train for it.  Don't look at the hills and decide against it because it might be harder than the one on the other side of the country.  Being able to train on the course was great for me and I feel made me all the more prepared for race day.  Good luck on which ever one you choose.

• LisaValentineNY Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 1, 2011
    4. Jun 20, 2012 12:05 PM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

Try Beach2Battleship in Wilmington, North Carolina.  I've done the Half there, but lots of my friends have done the Full IM there, and it's touted as a great first-timers race as well as one of Triathlete Magazine's Top Ten Ironman Distance races.  Flat bike and run courses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2012 Town of Huntington Sprint Tri: 2nd Pl W45-49
    • 2012 Mighty Hamptons 2012 Tri: 3rd Pl W45-49
    • 2012 Riverhead Rocks Oly Tri: 2nd Pl W45-49
    • 2011 L.I. Gold Coast Sprint Tri: 1st Pl W45-49
    • 2011 West Point Sprint Tri: 1st Pl W45-49
    • 2011 Mighty Hamptons Oly Tri: 3rd Pl W45-49
    • 2011 Town of Huntington Sprint Tri: 1st Pl W45-49
    • 2011 Beach2Battleship Half: 2nd Pl W45-49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    5. Jul 11, 2012 5:48 PM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

Anyone.  Any race that fits your budget and time is a great race!

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• Patrick McCrann Pro 13 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Jul 12, 2012 4:14 AM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

Ironman Florida and Ironman Arizona are both considered "Beginner Friendly" Ironman events as well...but b/c of that they are hard to get into b/c so many folks want to be there. Good luck!

+++++++++++++++++

Triathlon:

Running:

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    7. Jul 13, 2012 11:16 AM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

If you don't have your heart set on a WTC event, the Grand Columbia up here in Washington is a good race!

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    8. Oct 17, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

IMAZ was my first and only one so far.  I picked it because I stress out a bit before races and I knew traveling would be too stressful.  I wanted to be close to home so I didn't have to worry about shipping my bike or forgetting something.  Plus I was familiar with most of the course from previous races.  I say if you're doing an Ironman pick the course that is most appealing to you and will keep you motivated as you do your training.  I knew that by doing a race close to home I would have lots of friend come to cheer me on.  Having so many friends on the course cheering with signs and banners everywhere was incredible and kept me going when I was tired. For me that was one of the best parts of the race so I'm glad I stayed close to home.  Now that I have the first one under my belt (and most of my friends will probably not sign up for an entire day of cheering again so soon) I'd probably venture out and travel to one in a cool location.  Best of luck with whichever race you decide to do!

• runazrun Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    9. Oct 31, 2012 2:59 PM (in response to Imma TriGirl)

Look at the HITS triathlon series.  Friendly on the wallet and you won't have to swim with 2,000 of your closest friends.  Crowds and support won't be as big though if you think you'll need that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...