Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19419 Views 146 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 8:04 PM by LoriJeanMiller RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Previous Next
  • eley9428 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jul 12, 2012 12:43 AM (in response to Spaige79)
    C25K - July

Spaige79

I have to say I am proud of you!! Most ppl just turn to food and other negative habits during a break up. Nice job!! I think the program will keep your mind occupied in a positive and you are going to come out of this A-Okay.

So keep your head up!!

• eley9428 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    61. Jul 12, 2012 1:03 AM (in response to AlexSolon)
    C25K - July

Hey AlexSolon;

Want to know a trick to help stop with smokes... This is how I stopped...

1) Set a date (be reasonable - a month or so)

2) do not use the word "quit" or "stop" (by saying you are going to quit something, you set yourself up for failure because once you stop lets say smoking for example, your sub-conscious needs to 'quit' smoking, however in order to 'quit' you need to be smoking and start again so that you can "quit" - it is a viscious circle). You need to tell yourself that on whatever date you pick, that you will be a non-smoker (if you tell yourself you are a non-smoker, nothing your sub-conscious can do but not smoke). The samething with losing weight, can't say I want to lose 20 lbs, you have to say I weigh 140lbs. That way when you get to 140lbs your sub-conscious will take over and will maintain the 140lbs...

3) Write it on a couple of notecards and put them up in your house, car or even work. Places that your frequent. Each time you come to the card read it. (i.e. On August 15th, I will be a non-smoker).

When that day comes, your sub-conscious will take over, you won't even want to smoke!!

They say the more you think about, talk about and write about something, the better the chance of it happening!!

I hope this helps you... I became a non-smoker on May 3rd, 2012 using this process. I can honestly say I don't have any cravings or desires to smoke. People smoke around me and it doesn't even phase me. I figured that driving was going to be my burden, but that hasn't bothered either...

Good Luck!! You can do anything you set your mind to!!

• Stellapacey Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 8, 2012
    62. Jul 12, 2012 5:10 AM (in response to Libear)
    C25K - July

I just finished W1D3 this morning and while each day I got better and better I am completely out of shape and think it is in my best interest to repeat W1, so I am with you!  good luck!

• CrestedRunner Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    63. Jul 12, 2012 9:56 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - July

Hey everyone!  Thought I would check in with the running community!

1. I am ready to run W2D3

2. Really good when I'm done.  Was in big time pain after W1D1, but got new shoes and haven't had a single problem since!

3. I have not had to repeat yet...really don't want to

4.  I just follow the ap.  I found I do better when I don't read what the ap instructions are and just let the voice tell me when to run or walk.  Did W2D1 and didn't even realize I was running for 90 seconds!

5.Something different?  I am sleeping much better, and actually look forward to running now, after only 2 weeks.  Strange how that happened.

Question - so I'm doing the ap.  I did a run yesterday, and I know I'm supposed to take a day off.  I really feel like  run tonite...Should I or shouldn't I??

• smanionp Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    64. Jul 12, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - July

1. What Week/Day are you on?  W1D3

2. How do you feel?  Awesome (legs a bit sore today)

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Nope

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? I was faster today!

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?  Apparently I DO like to run!

Never had a good experience when trying to run, but doing a 5k has been on my bucket list. Went with my daughter to get her running shoes last weekend -- and got fitted for some myself. Found this site online and off I go. Really enjoying the pace so far. I like seeing other people having success. Gives me inspiration!

• EmilyDR Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 10, 2012
    65. Jul 12, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - July

Thanks to those of you who offered up support!  Today should be W1D3 for me, but I managed to come down with strep throat yesterday.  Who gets strep during the summer?  I'm planning on trying to start over on Sunday, but we'll see how I feel then.  So far antibiotics are doing their thing.  Maybe I'll feel up to it tomorrow!

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    66. Jul 12, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to Libear)
    C25K - July

Libear, if you are not using running shoes I would definitely look into getting fitted for a good pair. I had an old pair of running TYPE of shoes that I began using last time I did C25K training, but rewarded myself partway into that round with a fitting at a running gear store.  I was disheartened that they're on the "clunky" side (pretty supportive, given that my middle age spread is what it is :-(), but they do seem to make it more comfortable to run than my old shoes did.  You can track your mileage on your shoes in the free section of the Training Log on here so that you know when you have reached that cherished milestone, of having to replace a worn pair of running shoes!  (WHEEE!)  I am with you, I'm mostly excited about the idea of being a runner.

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• chipy13 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    67. Jul 13, 2012 5:14 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - July

Today was W1D3 (I repeated W1) and it went pretty good. My knees are feeling much better (thank you Ben Gay!) but today my lower shins/ankles were killing me by the end! The rest of me wanted to keep going which still surprises me. I'm also surprised how much easier it is since day 1-not that it's easy but I can actually finish without gasping for breath and looking a little purple in the face! If I can get my legs straightened out I think I may even be able to finish this C25K thing!!

Good Luck everyone!!!

• H3ath3rSw@n Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 1, 2012
    68. Jul 13, 2012 6:29 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - July

Today will be W3D1.  I'm super excited to see if I can meet the challenge of the longer runs.  However, I hurt my ankle a bit on my last run adn then aggravated it by jumping off a golf cart before it was completely stopped.  Smooth, right?  How old am I?  I should know better.  It doesn't feel sprained.  It feels like someone smacked the outside ankle bone with a hammer.  Bruised.  Very sore to touch.  I'm going to give it a whirl anyway and if it hurts too much, stop.  I don't want to sabotage my progress.

Heather

Mom of 4

Goal: Lose 40 pounds of baby weight. Much harder in my mid-30's than my early 20's when my first was born.

• txbbker Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    69. Jul 13, 2012 10:08 PM (in response to 1to1)
    Re: C25K - July

1. What Week/Day are you on? W2D1.

2.How do you feel? Good

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Not yet

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Ive gone from 222  to 217 lbs. in 2 weeks. First week was healthy eating no exercise, the next week was mostly healthy eating and starting C25K.

• Leighof3 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 8, 2012
    70. Jul 14, 2012 7:09 AM (in response to 1to1)
    Re: C25K - July

1. What week/Day are you on? W1D3 Done=)

2.  How do you feel? Good

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Nope

4.Did you add or remove times from your runs? No

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I never thought I could run at all/I'm actually liking it,and feel great.Looking forward to Week 2.

Good Luck everyone-"We can do this"

• AlexSolon Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 11, 2012
    71. Jul 14, 2012 8:04 AM (in response to eley9428)
    C25K - July

Thank you Eley9428 for the advice and support. I'm pleased to announce that not only have I successfully completed day 2 of the C25K, but I have also successfully been a non-smoker for two days now. I'm feeling so proud and good about my decision and the strength that I've had to start running and quit smoking. I'm excited about my new sport and can't wait to see where it leads me. I'm also excited about all money I'll save from not smoking not to mention the time I will get back on my life. 

• H3ath3rSw@n Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 1, 2012
    72. Jul 14, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to H3ath3rSw@n)
    C25K - July

Ankle is bad.  Tried to run yesterday but it was not good.  Today it's swollen.    I'm so bummed and pissed off.  I hope it's not a long set back, I have a 5K to run next month.

Heather

Mom of 4

Goal: Lose 40 pounds of baby weight. Much harder in my mid-30's than my early 20's when my first was born.

• Zeke351 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 14, 2012
    73. Jul 14, 2012 11:27 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - July

1. What Week/Day are you on? Just Finished W3D3

2. How do you feel? My best workout yet

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Not yet

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Woke up this morning and it was 92F and raining Didn't feel that would be too much fun so I went to the local community center and ran on the small 1/14th mile track indoors. WHAT a diference!! I went through the Week 3 workout twice and loved it.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Getting easier each day....sort of!

Zeke351

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

• Zeke351 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 14, 2012
    74. Jul 14, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to CrestedRunner)
    C25K - July

CrestedRunner,

I would take the rest day.  The rest days are what rebuilds the muscles.  The workout days cause the trauma and the rest days repair and stengthen.  I have been  doing the program and if I feel pretty good at the end I will add 3 to 5 minutes (OK...today I doubled it!). Later in the SAME day I will take a fast walk and let the next rest day recover and repair.

Hope this helps.  Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Zeke351

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...