Skip navigation

1769 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 9:51 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT
RosanneDeTorres Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2012 5:43 AM

Need Referral to Running Specialist in Central NJ

Greetings.  I have an IT band, low back, down to the knee issue that is ongoing and not clearing up with regular P.T., rest, etc.  I have been to orthopedic doctors and chiropractors without success.  I am looking for a doctor who will analyze my running on a treadmill and provide me with treatment geared to my specific issues.  I live in Hunterdon County, NJ and am willing to travel for the right professional.  I appreciate in advance any input I receive.  Thank you.

  • Haselsmasher Legend 538 posts since
    May 25, 2009

    I certainly don't know NJ - I live 2/3 of the way across the country.  That being said.................


    How running-knowledgeable was your PT and Chiro?  I've had PTs where I seriously wondered how they got their license.  I'm being serious.  Their lack of ability was unbelievable to me.   And then there is my current PT - who has done more to keep me running than any doctor has - and is basically more knowledgeable about running mechanics and issues than any doctor I've ever met. 


    It seems to me doctors are trained to address the acute problems, whereas something like ITB is a repetitive, overuse issue.  My point is that, if you haven't previously sought out extremely running knowledgeable PT or Chiro, I would put effort into that dimension of your search as well. 


    Good luck.  ITB problems are a royal pain.



    "Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

    -- From the song FM by Steely Dan

  • Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008

    Go to Find a PT, search for a Physical Therpist who is Board Certified in either OCS or SCS.  Some of the best research available on Running Injuries has been done at U of Delware PT Program

    Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

  • JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,291 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

    I'm sure all would agree that the way you run is not the only issue affecting your pain. When and how you sit can change the balance of muscle tension that can eventually manifest as the symptoms you describe.


    Damien's article Pain in the Buttocks may seem to be on a different subject, but it is not. It reveals some of what you need to look at in your environment before looking for a fix, when in fact the problem may be made fresh daily by your seat, making it seem incurable.


    The ITB and associated muscles/stuctures help to guide and stabilize the knee when running. It follows that anything that affects this stability, by changing the balance of tension in these anatomical parts, can have repercussions felt in these and related areas as they compensate in some way for the lack of structural balance. As Damien has pointed out in previous posts, the way you sit, particularly if you cross your legs, can alter this balance in ways that will affect structural tension, possibly resulting in problems with your running or pain. An example of how easily this balance can be altered is Damien's discussion of Piriformis Syndrome.

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...