Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

744 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 12:16 PM by Reflective Runner
Marunner93 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2012 8:41 AM

How to spread the word?

Hi everyone!  I'm trying to find ways to promote a race I'm helping organize in Washington, D.C.  Any ideas?  The race is pretty unique, as Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind is hosting its 2nd annual Light the Way 5k on September 29th 2012.  We're encouraging the blind and visually impaired to take part in the race, with volunteers acting as sight guides!  I need unique ideas on how to spread the word...  http://lighttheway5k.org

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    1. Jul 11, 2012 4:47 PM (in response to Marunner93)
    How to spread the word?

Please take this as a pretty everyman response -- I have no real history as a race organizer! -- my nonprofit orchestrated a 5K some years ago in the Maryland suburbs of DC though.  I would say, recruit a seasoned race organizer and/or running club to help guide your work on organizing your event.  This way you don't need to reinvent the wheel to find timing help, or bibs, or to devise prize levels, to map the route, certify it, or even to get a leg-up on publicizing it.  This worked very well for us -- at the time I wasn't a runner, and neither were many of our board members, so if your group has more experienced competitors in your midst, then maybe you don't need to do this.

Oh, and of course, be sure to talk to people involved in the FIRST of your events -- find out what they think worked well, what they ran into that they did not expect, and so on!  Keep good records of your own planning so that you can hand them on to the next planning team too!

Have fun!  I will see if I can get in shape to participate in the event, myself!

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• Reflective Runner Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    2. Jul 12, 2012 12:16 PM (in response to BowieLinda)
    How to spread the word?

Sounds like an awsome event!  I agree with Linda's suggestion of trying to find a local running club and/or running retail store to help, that would be good.  They could be a secondary sponsor or just provide a good means to get the word to a lot of area runners.  I imagine you are already doing all of the social media types of things to promote the event using Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.  It's amazing how quickly word can spread these days using these services...

Barry Johnson (aka Reflective Runner)

Find Relective Running Gear Here:

http://reflectivegearforrunning.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points