Skip navigation

1065 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 1:13 AM by thunderjack RSS
BallinOut24 Amateur 9 posts since
Jul 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2012 1:25 PM

Shooting

I'm a big man and all my points come in the paint or mid range jumper.But i want to extend my range to the 3.My dad has been preaching the importance of the "flip of the wrist" and the spin on the ball.But i cant get it to spin.Any tips?

"Talent wins games,but team work and intelligence wins championships."- Michael Jordan

• PH12 Amateur 34 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    1. Jul 12, 2012 1:50 PM (in response to BallinOut24)
    Shooting

I actually was in the same situation as you a little while ago. Lately I've been working on my 3pt shooting. My best advice would be to make sure you're using your legs. Your legs should provide most of the power behind your shot. Really bend down and flex at the knee. However, your dad is right. You should finish with your shooting arm high and straight and with a hard wrist flick. This will put backspin on the ball which helps when it hits the rim. Just keep practicing these tings over and over again and you'll get better. Also, you could search around this site for good articles on how to improve your shooting form. I hope this helps and good luck with it.

• JuiceBox14 Amateur 27 posts since
    Jan 22, 2012
    2. Jul 12, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to BallinOut24)
    Shooting

When you shoot, make sure you are using your finger tips. When you flick your wrist like your dad is saying the ball being on the tips of your fingers will cause it to spin. It sounds like you are using the palm of your hand to shoot the ball, You can use SOME of your palm but shooting is centered around using your fingers. Go watch videos of great shooters like Ray Allen, or Dirk Nowitzki. The ball rolls off of their fingers. Hope this helps!

• miamiHEATBOY23 Legend 376 posts since
    May 21, 2011
    3. Jul 12, 2012 4:17 PM (in response to BallinOut24)
    Shooting

make sure ur using your finger tips.

Great players are great leaders.Miamiheatboy

• thunderjack Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 11, 2012
    5. Jul 13, 2012 1:13 AM (in response to BallinOut24)
    Shooting

this will help your game alot! trust me, im a tall skinny big man and most opponents dont expect me to be a threat from outside so the back right off me and i score about 6-8 points per game on outside shots alone simply because defenders werent expecting it. get your long range shot stroaking and youll notice a big difference. good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points