Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1569 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 4:10 AM by Imgellin
Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
Jul 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2012 4:23 PM

Trail Running Shoes, Firm Sole

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good trail running shoe that has a particualrly firm sole.

I bought a pair of Saucony Cohesion TR, but the sole is ridiculously soft. (My Omni 4 TR's were fine).

These two types are the only trail shoes I have owned so far.

I don't need the most recent model, so "archived" models are welcome. (Not looking for a minimal shoe.)

Thanks,

Paul

• Bama Bacon Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 21, 2011
    1. Jul 12, 2012 9:03 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Hey Paul,

I wear New Balance MT110's. They are a minimal but have a rock plate that it pretty good. I do a lot of mountain trail running over some pretty rugged/rocky ground and have never had a problem even though I am a tender foot.

I would highly recommend looking for shoes with a rock plate, they typically provide better protection and a lighter shoe. I have tried the Montrail Badrock and Mountain Masochist lines and really like them. The Inov-8 Terroc 330 and 345 shoes are also good, but expensive.

Good luck and have fun.

Scott

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Jul 18, 2012 2:31 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Hi Paul,

Check out Hi-Tech at http://www.hi-tec.com/us/products/mens-adventure-sport/  I can personally recommend this brand...they are exceptionally durable, with a solid base, amazing flexibility, performance and comfort in a variety of models.  Well worth the investment. 

I have also run in the Addidas Vigor...great traction, but a bit heavier and lacking in the internal supports offered through Hi-Tech. 

The other possibility is, of course, Merrell.  They have wonderful products and a good reputation for understanding the needs of hikers and trail runners.  Although they are now offering more minimalist shoes, but the water-proof blaze, phoenix ventiliator and geo maze are all still impressive options that would certainly provide what you are looking for.  http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Men-Footwear-Shoes

Hope this helps and wishing you many happy miles. 

• one50South Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 24, 2012
    3. Jul 24, 2012 9:21 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Salomon has the widest variety of Trail Running outsoles with sticky rubber and firm rubber for all sorts of different surfaces. Vibram outsoles usually have a nice firm feeling that is agressive for trail and moutain running. Look at brands like Salomon, Merrell and La Sportiva as they ephasise Trail specific running shoes. Check out some of the new and upcoming 2013 trail running styles http://one50south.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points