Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

51079 Views 757 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2008 9:31 AM by Irish Patty RSS 1 2 3 ... 51 Previous Next
tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 10, 2007 2:40 PM

looking for WASSARD/WOODY 116........Vol, 6

..........ok mentees/////

........we got thru Winter
.............going into Spring
...............Did you do what you planned to do??

.........and what are you wanting for the Spring and Summer from Your Running??

----

nothing takes the place of persistance....

• Irish Patty Amateur 292 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 10, 2007 4:04 PM (in response to tomwhite)
    Re: looking for WASSARD/WOODY 116........Vol, 6

Tom I'm going to have to scrounge around for a tie-dye shirt. No swimming last night, but I did crosstrain this am. Possible swim tonight.

Now to the questions. I have done what I planned. I need to keep up my motivation at multi-workouts during the day. I plan on giving myself a good base of miles and very,very slowly increasing the distances. I have to keep myself from going all celtic. Motivation is the key to this summer's running.

Have a good day all.
    Patty

• Currently Being Moderated
    2. May 10, 2007 5:22 PM (in response to tomwhite)

Tom...I've done more than I EVER dreamed of doing this winter and spring...and now I find myself on a fence of after my race do I just run for fitness or do I plug on to train for something else...Again my conflict the need for scheduling and routine but the need for flexibility. Now that the weather is getting warmer and my miles are getting longer, I'm getting tired and cranky...but it's only a couple more weeks. If I plan for another HM or M I think it's going to have to be one that's in the winter so I don't have to worry about heat stroke or exhaustion with the increase in miles...debate debate debate.

OK...so I went to run today...planned for 8 on a nice flat surface and had to stop at 7 because my shin started to really hurt. Coach thinks it was my calves because they have been really tight lately too...aching...and that's unusual for me. SO I iced, took a warm bath, popped some advil, took a rolling pin to the calves...seems to be getting better...will see how tomorrow goes. OH AND now that I'm done with school for the summer (Got a B in statistics...still waiting on the other grade) my body and mind are trying to relax and the germs are trying to invade...drinking lots of water here and popping zicam.

Patty...I'm with you...I need a BIG BASE!!!!!!!!

I'm afraid it'll be a cold day in hell when you see me in a tye dye shirt !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0! NO HIPPIES HERE! HAHA
    2 more weeks to go body! HOLD ON!

4. May 10, 2007 8:23 PM (in response to tomwhite)

Thanks Tom...it's nice to get accolades...sometimes those are difference between giving up and pushing on! 

• Live and Learn Legend 305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 11, 2007 9:30 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Haven't done anything I wanted to do........  so sad.....  

So where do I go from here? Keep on plugging along I guess. My goals are the same, get back to 5 mile runs & beyond.....

I realized yesterday that everytime I have run in the last few weeks, I have pushed it.  Guess, I just wanted to be able to "just run" so badly.  Well again, wanting to doesn't make it so.  I'm resting again... dragging... yes that little bitty 2 mile run on Sunday did me in yet again (I think it was too fast for the bronchials).  So, rest & take it slow when I'm feeling a little better.  Actually will need to run at least 1x this weekend for breathing sakes... so will take it very easy & slow.

6. May 11, 2007 9:47 AM (in response to tomwhite)

I understand that so much Linda...and wanting to do it, sometimes just doesn't make it happen 

• Irish Patty Amateur 292 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. May 11, 2007 4:09 PM (in response to tomwhite)

Hello all,
    Linda in the past 6 months your conditioning has really taken off. Your doing great. Your running, walking and doing weights. Plus your working too. Your about at the same place as me, you just need to continue to build your base. Don't let the occasional step back throw you out of whack. Your doing great.

Shell the same goes for you. I'll just add, when I trained for my marathon nearly 2 yrs ago my calves became very tight and I strained one. That was close enough to the marathon itself that I had to do a run/walk. Be sure to warmup well and stretch well after. Don't overstretch. Get a massage if possible.

I ran 2 miles today on fairly flat terrain. Two days to go. I just don't want to bonk.

Have a good day and a great weekend.
    Patty

Dec 14, 2007
    10. May 12, 2007 10:48 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Thanks you guys, you are always great!! 

Ok, yes there are positives from where I was, I need to focus on that. The infections are not putting me flat on my back like they used to & I have been running full 2 miles or so. I guess the thing that has me down in the dumps lately is the going back & forth, not feeling like I can get in a good groove of working out since I started work. i need to remember that I was doing 4 workouts a week before.. Would like to just run that many times a week.. but the weights are really helping my neck/back/shoulder. I really haven't been getting any more than 3 workouts, if that in a week for the last few weeks... just doesn't seem right to me. I guess it takes awhile to get used to the routine again. or maybe really it was the 5K, and my wanting to be the best I can be.... have to step back from that again.

So onward I go, slower & not the best I can be, but the way I NEED to be to continue running.

Thanks again....

Dec 14, 2007
    11. May 12, 2007 10:51 AM (in response to tomwhite)

IP - Good luck on your race..

13. May 12, 2007 5:57 PM (in response to tomwhite)

I don't know about that! Sounds pretty good to me! HAHAHA

Dec 14, 2007
    14. May 13, 2007 2:23 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Hey all -

so I ran today....  I set my Forerunner virtual running guy to 13 min miles for 2 miles.  The first mile was very hard to go that slow, had to keep slowing myself down.  Second mile I was behind quite a bit.  But told myself I was fine with that.  So total 26:07, 13:04 avg min/mile.. interesting thing - it was enjoyable    I tried to concentrate on keeping my deep breathing going, & if it was rough that meant I should be going slower (which was typically when I started going faster).  So looks like this is about where I should be running now & let the endurance catch up.  So 2 whole days of workouts this week.. 1 weights/1 running..lol  think I will rest tomorrow, or maybe a yoga tape.  I would really like to go run again, but probably not the smartest idea.

1 2 3 ... 51 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...