Skip navigation

1059 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2012 10:57 AM by Frank_B RSS
Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2012 3:44 PM

The "Cat and Mouse" game!

Did a District game last night.  Took 2 hrs and 20 mins!  Not because of a blowout but because both teams were playing cat and mouse.

The Batter would step out.  Or the pitcher would step off.

This, IMO, was delaying tactics to try to get inside everybody else's head!

What criteria would you use as a OU before calling time, OR would you stay down and let what happens happen?

PITA!

Mike CVUA

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Jul 14, 2012 7:57 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: The "Cat and Mouse" game!

As for the batter stepping out, do call time and then advise the d-manager the one and only time out allowed that offensive half-inning, has been burned.

If batter(s) continue to step-out that same half-inning... call every pitch thrown, a strike. Rule 6.02.---and page T-17.

As for the pitcher stepping out for no cause, if the bases are unoccupied, the pitch must be thrown within 20 seconds after receiving the ball. If violated the umpire shall call a "ball" every pitch thrown. Rule 8.04.

For those who might say the OP is talking a District T-game--and I am citing use of regular season rules 6.02 and 8.04.

That's no error on my part. Given the absence of a T-rule governing a situation, regular season rules may be applied.

See page T-1---Rules:

Then there are "delay of game" violations and "travesty" scenarios.

[There are always BIGGER cats and BIGGER mice!

Frank!

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jul 14, 2012 8:01 AM (in response to Frank_B)

Frank_B wrote:

As for the batter stepping out, do call time and then advise the d-manager the one and only time out allowed that offensive half-inning, has been burned.

And he would have a legitimate reason to protest, Frank.  The one time out per offensive half-inning is for a conference, not for just requesting time.  If the batter requests time to go get another helmet or bat, you wouldn't charge that towards the one time-out limit either.

The plate umpire does not have to grant time when a batter requests it.  If he asks for time and steps out, then stay down and wait for the pitcher to pitch without giving time to the batter.  The pitch is supposed to be called Ball or Strike on its merits, but the strike zone becomes pretty big at that point.

As for the pitcher, the 20-second rule only applies when there are no base runners, as you mentioned.  With runners, there is no restriction, but that's only to allow pitchers to hold runners on base at higher-level ball.  I think the 20-second rule should apply at lower levels regardless of base runners.

This is really a game management issue.  If I feel that the batter and/or pitcher is delaying the game unnecessarily, I'm calling time and instructing the players to knock it off.  Further delays after my warning will result in ejections.

May 30, 2007
    3. Jul 14, 2012 10:44 AM (in response to Manny_A)

Yes Manny---I temporarily forgot the wording-[conference/visit]- embodied in the one defensive time-out allowed.

lesson learned: check the rule wording before citing it. Thanks for that reminder!

Your last para appears the way to handle the situation..

I'm surprised Mike CVUA----ended up with a 2 hour and 20 minute game; absent a blow-out--and-- assuming absent extra innings....meaning (he) not employing what you stated in your last para.

But who am I to judge-----after the fact!

Frank!

May 30, 2007
    5. Jul 14, 2012 10:57 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

Simple! "I WASN'T THE PU!"

Mike:   Common sense come-backs, not inviting controversy, not allowed here.      

But my faith in you has been restored.

-------------------------------

Manny:

A belated comment regarding the wording allowing one(1) offensive time out  allowed per offensive half-inning.

The wording in the T-section (T-17) is absent.... "for the purpose of a visit or conference."  Granted, still applicable!

Must go to the regular season verbiage to find that spelled out!      Page 74

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points