Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

812 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 5:02 PM by GeoWolf
Redheadedchick Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2012 8:54 AM

Frustrated newbie

I started c25k in May 2012 with a group of about 20 girls.  I was the oldest, and most overweight at 280.  I knew it would be harder for me but I didnt quit.  I have finished 2 5k races (55 mins and 52 mins).  But I cannot get past week 2 on the program.  I do well on the first 2 or 3 runs, then cant complete the rest because I get out of breath.  What can I do to increase my endurance?  Should I keep on with week 2 until I can successfully do all the intervals? 

Since then I have lost 20 pounds and am eating healthier and feel better.  I dont want to quit but I would like to see some improvement in my endurance. 

Any suggestions?

• AndyJN Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 24, 2011
    1. Jul 13, 2012 12:03 PM (in response to Redheadedchick)
    Frustrated newbie

Hey Frustrated, I can't speak to the 25K training program and what it is telling you to do but I can say don't be frustrated. You have lost 20 lbs and run 2- 5k in less than 2 months, that's great. You are eating healty and feeling better then you say you don't want to quit, then don't quit, never quit, ever, maybe cut back on your expectations but not your motivation. If you get tired and can't complete what they are suggesting walk instead of run, very similar calorie burn and you can go a lot further. If you can run 3 you can probably walk 6-8. I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is but cut yourself some slack, you are on the right track, you are making progress, just keep going. I've been running for years and it's never been easy but the rewards are worth it.        

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 13, 2012 4:41 PM (in response to Redheadedchick)
    Frustrated newbie

You probably already feel like your run is barely faster than your walk, but try going a little slower on those first couple of run sections.  Generally, if you're getting out of breath, you're going too fast.

Len

Len

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    3. Jul 13, 2012 5:02 PM (in response to Redheadedchick)
    Frustrated newbie

What Len said.  Slowing down was the key for me.  Keeping in mind that I run at about the speed others walk, who am I kidding slower.  Here is what I did.  I slowed way down and that really helped.  The last run I allow myself to go faster if I feel up to it.  It's working well.  If you really are worried about speed finish the program with the slow runs and then go back and do it again using your slow runs during the walk and a faster run during the jogs.  I'm hoping that by time I finish C25K I will hit the 3 mile mark with my warm up and cool down walks included.  But right now that seem like an "if I'm lucky" goal.  To me doing the time for now is more important than doing the distance.  I know that once I get to 30 minutes adding 5 at a time will seem more doable.  If you can walk it that fast I'd say it's a matter of getting your mind to not block you.  Slow down is the 1st thing.  The next trick I use when I'm ready to stop a jog because I can't make it that far is picking a spot up ahead that I can make it to.  Bush, sign, fence post, mail box...  and make it that before I stop.  Except when I get close to that a pick another point a little further up the road and I keep doing that as many times I can.  Then before I stop I check my time (I never check until I feel like I can't go any further now that I'm using the app.) because if it's really close that can motive me to take a few more steps.  I also sing silly songs when I'm getting really tired.  The seem to help. 

I've got to go jog so that's all I can type right now.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points