Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1247 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2012 2:25 PM by Jasko123 RSS
Bmoore099 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 13, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2012 9:36 AM

second toe goes numb

Hay all

when I go running my second toe goes numb. When feeling returns it sort of hurts near where it meet the foot. It happens with my three different Runing shoes I own, all a new shoes. Should I stop running?

Thanks,

Brian

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    1. Jul 14, 2012 2:16 AM (in response to Bmoore099)
    second toe goes numb

you don't say how long have you been running?  Did you get your shoes from a running store?  I hear that's a good idea.  LOL  I'm assuming that you did.  I wear barefoot running shoes and I love them, if you haven't tried those you might them them a shot.  I've gotten numbness in my feet all 3 times I started C25K.  I also had awful leg cramps and I'm sure the numbness was caused by those.  So my question would be could you be getting a cramp in your foot that is impinging on  a nerve?   The 1st time around I was  wearing cross training shoes and sure it was the shoes because as soon as I switched to the barefoot ones in week 4 the cramps started easing.  Only when I had to restart after a back injury I had the same problem with leg cramps in the 1st 4 weeks.  Knee injury, restart and awful, painful cramps again, which started easing in week 4.  I've tried all kinds of stretches and got tips on how to help them but for me nothing but time worked.  Unlike you most of foot would get numb but it seemed to start in that toe.  The muscle that cramps on me is not the back of the calf it's the one that runs up the outside of my calf.  Very hard to get a really good stretch on it. 

I wish I was more help.  I can't say if you should stop running but if you don't think it's a cramp and you've been running very long I'd say you need to see a doctor. 

Other than that I have no ideas for you.  . 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Jul 15, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to Bmoore099)
    second toe goes numb

Hi Brian,

It is not uncommon.  There may be several underlying causes, but I would try compression socks, toe socks or toe separators (you can get some to wear after runs or in the evening for example).  Nerve issues are typical and usually they are not overly-complicated, so look into those things that increase and support overall foot and leg circulation.  Also, consider simple toe trainers, straightners, loops and so on because those might make a difference. 

Alternate out some of your older running shoes in-between using the new pairs (if they are not totally worn out). 

I would say try to continue running with some of these modifications and see what combination works best. 

Wishing you all the best

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points