Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

576 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 15, 2012 4:01 AM by GeoWolf RSS
jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
Oct 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2012 11:54 PM

So Pi$$ed - Done Before I Could Begin

I was about midway through my last day of week 1 last night and I ended up twisting my ankle on a rock...bad.  I ended up having to walk about a mile back to my room so hopefully that means it isn't broken.  I left my shoe on, tried to keep my foot up and had an ice pack on it for a while but eventually had to go to bed so it was pretty stiff and painful this morning.  I'd run up to the hospital so they can take a look at it, but they've got bigger problems to worry about and hopefully the only thing I need is some time.

Now for the long version in case some of my comment seems a little odd.  I am currently a DOD civilian deployed in Afghanistan.  I was here last year and actually did c25k then but I cheated and did the whole thing on the treadmill so this year I downloaded one of the c25k podcasts to my ipod and decided I would do it the right way.  They are very fond of using lots of no. 1 rock everywhere (think baseball sized) since there tends to be a lot of big equipment rolling around.  Good for equipment...not so good for people.  They are bad enough that most people here just tend to call them "ankle breakers".  I was on my way back in when I stepped on one of the devil rocks while checking for vehicles rather than watching the road.  If somebody had stopped and offered me a ride, this is one time I defintely would have taken it, but since they didn't and I was able to put some weight on it and hobble back about a mile, I'm hoping it isn't broken.  We've got a full blown hospital on base, but I don't want to go in so they can tell me I sprained it and to take it easy for a few days when they've got guys coming in with actual battle injuries who need fixing.  I managed to get my boot (desert combat type) on this morning which should help keep it from swelling any more and help keep it fairly stabilized during the day.  It doesn't feel like it's getting too much worse so hopefully a trip to the hospital won't be necessary.

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 15, 2012 4:01 AM (in response to jeb6294)
    So Pi$$ed - Done Before I Could Begin

I'm sorry for your injury. I know how that feels. I was injured in non-jogging related accident my 1st 2 C25K attempts. This time I was on W1D3 when I tripped on a bump in the road, because I was checking on a car I heard coming up behind me. I came down hard on the road. Cut my knee pretty deep (even thru long pants) on the gravel and small rocks that always seem to collect along the edges of country roads. I also bruised it enough I got a ride him from the yahoo who was driving up behind me so fast that it spooked me. (That would be my husband, BTW. LOL) After I cleaned all the small stones out of my knee and hands it was bad enough I didn't really walk the next day. The day after I noticed my foot was hurting too. By the 3rd day the top of my foot was black and blue. It benched me for almost a month. In truth a little of that time was fear that I would reinjure it before it was 100%.  Even now a month back into C25K I still get twinges in my foot, but never while jogging just in certain shoes.  Who knows maybe I cracked a bone or something, but since it rarely bothers me I can’t see getting an x-ray.  Maybe because I don’t want to get benched again if the doctor finds something. 

Sprained ankles can be tricky things.  I would guess that if you can walk on it without too much pain then it’s not broken.  But that doesn’t always hold true.  Still with boots on it seems that it should have been harder to break.  I can understand your now wanting to take doctors away from others who need them more, but I do think you need to watch it and if you can’t put weight on it without the boots or you feel that it’s taking too long to heal you should get it checked.  My BFF broke her foot in several places, on some loose gravel sort of like you are talking about.  Of course she was wearing these cute little heels at the time and when her foot twisted the straps all put pressure on the bones that broke.  I think she was the one that waited a couple of days to go for x-rays because she figured she just twisted and bruised it.  I never can figure how sometimes things you know should break a bone don’t and something you think is silly does.

Don’t get discouraged.  The great thing about this program is that it’s here for you to come back to when you are ready.  I will add that it was so much less heartbreaking when I got benched at the end of week 1 than it was when I did at the beginning of week 9 and the 2nd time I think was sometime in week 7 or 8. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...