Skip navigation

1569 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 9:14 AM by GConn0103 RSS
Gottalovebball Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 15, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2012 2:29 PM

Magicstour.com baseball tournaments worth the $$$??

Before we registered for a magicstour.com baseall tournament in MI we googled them, researched the Co. for reviews and found nothing of substance.  Today, I wish someone would have posted their experiences to help me make a decision.

Tournament One, mid-May in Lansing, MI - rained Saturday morning, canceled the whole weekend. After many conversations and so many issues, we used our tournament credit for a tournament in Grand Rapids, MI mid-June.  Tournament was held at a very nice facility thanks to GR Parks and Rec, and we had a full concession and nice bathrooms (not until now did I see that as a bonus...more later).  The umpires did okay but one was so old and slow I sincerely worried for his safety.  Magicstour couldn't get enought 13U (our division) teams or 14U teams, so he combined these divisions into a "jr high" division.  Besides the obvious age problem with this division, 13U play on an 80x54, 14U play on a 90x60.  Speaking of fields...they were never dragged, never relined all day.  No field maintenance at all.  Oddest "bracket" layout I've ever seen and the 3rd game (to make min.) was the championship/consolation game.  We won the championship game and the trophy & t-shirts for our boys will be mailed to us.  They've never arrived...noone's surpised.

Tournament Two, early June in Marshall, MI - cancelled on Thursday because of not enough teams.  We have another credit (despite efforts to get our $$$ back and be done) that we agree to use in Lansing mid July.  We hound the guy about making sure he has teams for this tournament so yet another weekend for our team is not wasted.  Finally, the Thursday afternoon before the tournament the schedule comes out and it's in Midland, MI (an additional 1 1/2 drive, requiring overnight stay where Lansing does not).  He must not have had enough teams for Lansing so he just moved us to Midland without telling us.  No rooms.  No plans to be gone all weekend.  We threw it together and went in an effort to make the best of the weekend.  The facilities had 3 fields, so 6 teams playing at once and at least 3 other teams or as many as 6 other teams warming up.  So, over 100 players, coaches, and then their families at the field at any given time and not bathroom facilities.  Not even a port-a-potty.  When the director was questioned by a parent from another team he suggested we use the restuarant/bar across the street.  (the fields were behind the high school, behind the football field, and then there's the street).  What about the players?  Coaches?  Once again, no field maintenance all weekend.  Oh, and speaking of the fields again, because we had one 14U team in our 13U turned middle school again bracket, we were put on a 60x90, a field size we haven't played on and we were never told the tournament field would be different than the tournament specs.  The umpires were not as good at this tournament.  In fact, in one game we were pretty sure the field "umpire" was no umpire.  He had a light blue shirt on likely from Target that morning but he did not make one call, deferred every single call to the homeplate umpire.  And, no hardware in Midland either.

The reps. for magicstour.com are rude, even resorting to name calling, pointing fingers, and aren't affraid to hang up on you.  Not easy to work with at all.  By far, the worst baseball experience in 6 years of travel baseball.  They have no clue how to run a baseball tounament and no intergrity with which to run a business.

So, before you consider donating your money to the magicstour.com organization be aware you may see no baseball...

• JazzzyE Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2012

I, too wish I had been warned. Our experience was with a basketball tournament. We registered and paid one day and were notified the next day that the tournament had been canceled because they did not have enough teams participating. We were asked to participate in their tournament the next weekend at the same venue. That tournament was also canceled. At that point, we requested a refund and were told that their policy provided for credit to another tournament. NO REFUNDS. When I did some checking on my own, by contacting the venues advertised on the website, I learned that many of the advertised venues had not been booked for the weekends on which tournaments were being advertised. Our team never got our money back, nor have we participated in a tournament. Our kids are just out $250 hard earned dollars. I wonder how many other stories like this are floating around.

• GConn0103 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    2. Dec 14, 2012 9:14 AM (in response to JazzzyE)
    Magicstour.com baseball tournaments worth the $$$??

My story is similar to those above; a few days before the tourney there was no schedule, I made several attempts to contact someone and finally, 2 days before the tourney, was told our first game would be at 11 and the full schedule would follow.  The day before the tourney I had not received the schedule, again I started emailing and calling at 9 PM i finally reached someone only to be told the tournament had been cancelled, no reason given.  Over the next few weeks I tried to contact magicstours regarding a refund or new tourney date, when I finally made contact the individual, John, began to scream and curse at me.

I contacted city to see who had leased the fields for the tourney only to find out that magicstours have never leased any fields and several other teams had called with the same questions.  We are in central Florida so obviously Magicstour have taken their scam to other states. 

I have contacted a few of the teams scammed by this organization and am contacting the local police department to file a economic crimes charge against magicstours aka united sports now.  If you have been scammed by this organization as well please post to this thread.  Hopefully with enough victims working together we can put an end to this and keep other unsuspecting youth organizations from falling prey to this scam.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...