Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1238 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 5:27 PM by BowieLinda RSS
CrestedRunner Amateur 9 posts since
Jul 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2012 9:38 AM

Week 3??

Hey all!

Any Newbs here make it past Week 3??  I've made it through weeks 1 and 2 with little problem.  Looking at the expectations for week 3 is making me a little nervous.  I definately plan to run someplace FLAT!  I've done my first two weeks in my mildly hilly neighborhood. 

If you've made it past week , please send me some tips, tricks and encouragement!

Thanks!

• Zeke351 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 14, 2012
    1. Jul 14, 2012 11:19 AM (in response to CrestedRunner)
    Week 3??

I just finished W3D3!  Just run at a pace you can handle, I know you can do it and so should you!

Woke up this morning and it was 92F and raining   Didn't feel that would be too much fun so I went to the local community center and ran on the small 1/14th mile track indoors.  WHAT a diference!!  I went through the Week 3 workout twice and loved it.

Zeke351 

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    2. Jul 14, 2012 2:37 PM (in response to CrestedRunner)
    Week 3??

You can do it!  I'm old, very overweight and slow but I just finished W5D1.  If I can do it you can too.  My advice is when you start to feel like "I can't make it that far." you pick a spot up ahead that you can make it to and aim for that.  (Mailbox, tree, fence post, crack in the road.)  Then when you get close pick another one a little further out and jog to it.  When you start to think OK that's it I can't pick another spot then check your time.  I'm amazed at how many times I get to that point only to look and see that I have less than 10 seconds left in a jog.  No way I'm stopping with less than 10 seconds left unless I actually fall down. 

If you are struggling slow down.  You can always work on speed after you finish the program, on the last jog if you are feeling up to it, on days you are doing the same run in that week if you rocked the 1st one.  Anytime you are feeling like you can't finish a jog "slow down."  

Good luck!

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    4. Jul 16, 2012 6:47 AM (in response to CrestedRunner)
    Week 3??

Great work!  I knew you could do it.   We don't have any real hills around here so I don't know what to tell you about that.  I do think that if you've been running in some and are likely to run 5K's where they are that if you can do the runs in them go for it.  I know I feel it a lot more when I run up the gradual "hills" we have here and I don't try to avoid them, but at this point I'm not going to seek them out either.   Once I hit my goal of actually jogging the entire 5K and I feel comfortable with that I do plan to try and find some terrain that might be more challanging while I decide if I have any desire to go for 10K.  I love running but I can't imagine devoting the time to run further than that to it.  I have a 4 year old and a husband who need my attention and I enjoy the time I have to spend with them.  Maybe once my son is old enough to run those distances with me I might decided I'd like to run further.  Except that by that time I'm sure he'd be fast enough that I would just slow him down.  LOL 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• 2LulaSue Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 6, 2012
    5. Jul 17, 2012 10:56 AM (in response to CrestedRunner)
    Week 3??

Thanks for posting this one.  I'm W2D3 today and really nervous about starting week 3 on Thursday.  I don't have a treadmill, so with the excessive heat lately, I've been substituting the elliptical this whole week.  Not the same as actually jogging, but I've been focusing on the endurance part hoping that it doesn't hold me back.  Still really nervous and not at all confident about week 3.  It finally cooled a bit, so I'll be jogging tonight for my final W2 run tonight.

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    7. Jul 25, 2012 5:27 PM (in response to CrestedRunner)
    Week 3??

W3 Day 1 tomorrow, for me!!

I even "cheated" just now and walked a short mile.  Wanted to get outside because it is a rare beautiful evening, and I used the "Zombies, Run!" app game for the walk as entertainment.  Pretty fun!

So, all to say that I'm hoping the walk will help set me up for a good first day of the new week!

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...