Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49947 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Previous Next
  • mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Jul 16, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    Re: June C25K Starters

I'm still here!  I hate posting from my phone so I normally only update when I'm at work.  My daughter and I finished Week 6 up on Friday with a 15R; 3W; 5R.  We were down the shore so we got up around 6:30 and ran the boardwalk.  It was much better than the street.  Today we have our first 20 minute run.  I'm nervous but so ready to tackle this! 

Keep the updates coming.  Geo - I hope you are seeing a doctor for your spells.  Could it be migraines?

• lauramom0204 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    181. Jul 16, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to Bauer05)

Good morning everyone!  This is only my second time posting, but I've been enjoying the inspiration of everyone. 

I just lost a whole week of training .  A few weeks ago my knee started to bother me and I just thought it was another out of shape muscle getting used to all of this, so I kept running.  Bad idea!  Turns out I tore some tendons and it got really bad last Monday when I forced it too much.  I've been ordered to rest it, ice it, and do strengthening exercises.  It's almost completely better now and after seeing the doctor tonight I hope he gives the thumbs up to get back out there.

I was just starting W5 when this happened and now I feel like I need to repeat at least a day of W4 to ease back into it.  So annoying as everyone else is going into at least W6 now. 

Thanks in part to keeping up with this thread though, I'm not going to quit.  I'm still motivated.  A little delayed, but not out of the game. 

Thanks to you all for keeping me on track through this rough patch.  I'm glad to see everyone getting past their own struggles and not giving up!

*** One last thing.  My Display Name isn't showing on my posts.  It wants to show my first and last even though I unchecked the box to show publicly.  Is anyone having this problem?  Know how to fixt it? ***

• mom2katon Amateur 13 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    182. Jul 16, 2012 7:57 AM (in response to lauramom0204)
    June C25K Starters

Hi all - I have been on vacation and had the best intentions, but never did get a run in   However, once home, I went right back to where I left off.  I thought I might have to repeat a day (I was at W6D3 which is a 25 minute run).  I thought I will just go as far as I can and if I have to walk, so be it.  However -- I did it!!!  The last 3 minutes was hard, but at that point I was so close, I thought I would try and stick it out.  This morning I did W7D1.  I have even picked up my pace a little -- although seriously slow compared to my husband and son -- so I don't go with them anymore!  LOL

Lauramom -- don't worry about repeating a day -- many of us (myself included) have repeated at least once if not more).  The fact that you are back out there again is powerful and you should rejoice in the fact that you didn't give up!  As my son told me after I didn't run on vacation -- you can spend 30 days making a habit and it only takes one day to break it!!!  Glad you already realize it and know that to do SOMETHING is better than doing nothing. 

As for the name thing -- it freaked me out at first too -- but I think while you are signed in YOU see your own name -- once I log out, I only see my screen name.  Hope this helps.

• Missouristar Amateur 13 posts since
    May 28, 2012
    183. Jul 16, 2012 9:20 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Ok third time's the charm, right.  I just started W4D1 for the third time.  This time I did it!  I think what's killing me is not the last 5 minute run, but the short recovery time before it - only 1:30 minutes.  I noticed on W5 there are three 5 minute runs, but the recovery time between each is 3 minutes.  I actually think that might be easier.  But I'm going to go ahead and finish out this week at the W4 pace and forge on ahead next week.  Thank you to all of you who keep me on track with your support and inspiration!

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    184. Jul 16, 2012 12:46 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W6D1 completed at weekend - I'm having real trouble fitting in runs, seems I can either manage to do consecutive days or have to wait a couple of days in between, so am falling behind a bit.  I don't want to miss out the rest day, so am sometimes running just twice a week instead of three times.  W6D1 is back to intervals after the 20 min run at the end of W5, so I made the mistake of setting off too fast, thinking I could easily manage 5 mins at a time - and I did, but did I feel it at the end of the session!  So I'm going back to running the intervals slowly at the same pace as the longer runs - I'll try to speed up once I've graduated the program, and maybe start over again, jogging slowly for the walk intervals and more quickly for the running ones.

• mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    185. Jul 16, 2012 1:08 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Just ran for twenty straight minutes for the first time in my forty years!  I am so pumped.  I'm embarassed how many times in my life I said I just can't run.  With the plan I'm using (5K Runner) there's no going back to intervals.  So this is it - gradually increasing runs until I'm up to 35 minutes.  Technically I could be done by next week.  Amazing.

Thank you so much to everyone in this group.  Please keep posting.

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    186. Jul 16, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Hey everyone, still here also.  Completed W7D1 this morning.  It was a good 25 minute run.  I didn't walk at all, which I am happy about, but I was only able to do 2.25 miles instead of the 2.5 miles that it was supposed to be by the time 25 minutes ran out.  Figure that since D2 & D3 this week are both 25 minutes also, maybe I can improve my speed a bit.  Gotta say, I do love these cool, early morning runs.  I crossed paths with another runner this morning too and got a wave.  Funny thing is, that wave made me feel more like a "runner" than the 2 miles runs I have been doing!

@lauramom Glad to have you!  Don't worry about where you are in relation to everyone else.  We are all running and that is all that matters!  BTW, I was worried about my name showing up too. 

@Missouristar  Keep it up and don't fret repeating.  The longer runs will be there waiting for you whenever you get to them!  No hurry.

@Tis  Time was my issue since I work four 10s.  I didn't want to miss any time with my daughter before her bedtime so I made the decision to drag my bones out of bed early.  I have to say that I love running in the early morning too!  Not sure what I will do once it is winter, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

@mb  Great job on the 20R!  Isn't is a cool feeling being able to say that you can run for 20 minutes straight! 

@mom2 We are on the same day!  Your W6D3 was a 25R?  My program only asked for a 22R.  This week is a 25R for me.  Congrats on jumping right back in after time off!

Keep it up everyone!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• Sunni68 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 22, 2012
    187. Jul 16, 2012 4:14 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Hi everyone! I'm sorry I didn't respond to several encouraging posts, but I was on vacation and really only signed on the one day. I have been receiving everyone's posts through email and you are all so inspiring! I did W5D3 yesterday and tackled the 20 minute run. However, I am thinking of skipping W6D1 because it seems like a step backwards. W6D2 and 3 look more appropriate. I guess I'll just do day 2 twice this week. I have no idea how well I'm doing for distance, because I'm using my ipod touch (I don't have an iphone-yet! Waiting for the 5). I'm signed up for a 5K at the end of September, so I guess I can work on improving my speed once I'm finished with the app, or do TisforTiara's idea and use the app to jog the walks and run the jogs.

Sunni

• Sunni68 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 22, 2012
    188. Jul 16, 2012 4:16 PM (in response to lauramom0204)

I thought my real name was showing up too, but it's what we see when we are signed on. Once you sign off, go back and look at the thread. It will show your display name. That is what the public sees.

Sunni

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    189. Jul 16, 2012 6:51 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Wow looks like almost everyone checked in.  Hopefully the rest will soon.  Loving all the updates.

mb:  Great job for you and your daughter.   The boardwalk run sounds nice.  You must be so pumped that you did the 20 minutes.  You should be so proud. 

I’ve been seeing Doctor’s about it for a year.  Not migraines as I don’t get headaches with them.  Their best guess is some sort of seizures.  (Those aren’t the only type of spells I have.)  They want to do inpatient testing and I have a 4 year old.  I just don’t trust anyone to watch him for days while they test for that.  Other than a few times when I had to (Maybe 3) I haven’t even driven since last year because of this.  Even if they did the testing they can’t rule out seizures just because I don’t have one.  Rarely I will have it happen twice a day, but most often it’s once or twice a week.   Only there are frequent times when I don’t have one for 2 or 3 weeks.

Lauramom I think when you see the thread you see your real name (annoying BTW) but everyone else sees your screen name.   At least I see my name but everyone replies to me with GeoWolf. 

I’m sorry you got benched.  I know how that feels.   I was going to start a May group after I did my W1D3 jog. but I fell and lost almost a month.  (some of that because of an illness and death in the family.)   I hope your doctor gives you the OK to get back to it.  Don’t worry about a week I know that I’ll be here past 9 weeks even if things go perfectly, and I’m not sure I won’t be repeating weeks.   I will commit to stick around as long as anyone on this thread needs support.  I want to see us all reach our goals.

If it hadn’t been for the injury I’d say that a week is nothing you should be able to pick up where you left off.  But I think with one you are not sure about repeating a day is likely a good thing.  See what your doctor thinks.  Looking forward to your update.

Mom2:  Good for you getting back into it.  It’s hard to run when you are on vacation.  So many other things going on.  I wanted to start C25K back again in Feb but I knew I was going to CO for a week and I was sure that jogging at 8,000+ feet was not going to work even if I found the time to try it.  We went so hard most of the time that I know there was no way I’d have kept up.  If I go to FL to visit family I will keep up with it because I don’t really consider that a vacation.   Even if I did it’s one thing to try and keep up jogging after C25K it’s another to do it in the first few weeks.  We are glad to have you back.

Missouri:  Congratulations on doing the jogs.  When you are feeling winded or your legs are tired those longer walks can be a godsend.  I actually found that after W4’s short breaks they seemed a little long to me.  Held myself back after the 1st run but when I knew I only had one more I went at 4 minutes and tossed in some extra when I was still feeling good.  For me adding some extra time if I can without struggling too much gives me a boost so the next level doesn’t seem quite so scary.  I’m having trouble keeping track of all the different programs and who is doing what.  How quickly does your week jump?  Or would you rather not look and worry? 

Tiara:  WTG on the run.  As for the time just keep reminding yourself that you are worth it.  This is good for your body and your soul.  My feeling is if you want to step it up start out at your normal pace and when you get to a point that you are sure you can finish then step it up if you want to.  Otherwise just do the speed up after you complete the program. 

Camaro:  25 minutes is awesome.  Don’t sweat the distance right now if you are going for time.  I know it’s hard not to, but if you try to run out of your comfort zone it could cause problems.  I do hope you make the distance by the end of the week, but if you don’t you will soon.  I’d love to get that wave, but I’ve never seen another jogger on my street at any time and I’ve lived here for about 10 years.  I guess I’ll have to wait until I’m somewhere less rural.  Maybe when I’m in FL next time. 

Sunni:  Congratulations.  I’m so jealous of all the 20 minute plus jogs posted tonight.   It’s making me want to go out and try it tonight.  I know bad idea and I have no intention of trying it, but I am dying to.  I agree about W6D1.  I can’t figure it out it seems like such a huge backward step.  I’ve always been confused by week W5D3 thru W6D2.  It just seems out of order and like they should move the 20 minute jog to the end of those days.  I’d say to do what you are comfortable with.  That’s what I do.  Let us know how it works out for you. 

As much as I want to jog now I'm thinking I might not make it past tomorrow night before I go for it.  But I'll wait and see how my legs feel.  They are a little sore right now.  I've been doing some stretches trying to work the soreness out. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• KristiRPhTX Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    190. Jul 16, 2012 7:37 PM (in response to GeoWolf)
    June C25K Starters

WTG everyone!  It sounds like everyone is doing great and progressing well!

Just a quick check in. I did W6D2 on Saturday and felt good. Was supposed to do W6D3 thus morning, but I was in a wreck yesterday afternoon and rolled my Tahoe several times. The good news is I'm fine--just some scratches, bruises, and sore muscles. But I'm gonna take a few days off to recuperate. Figure I'll play it by ear on running again. Shouldn't be more than a few days.

Good luck to everyone!  I love reading about everyone's progress. It pushes me to get up and go on the days I don't feel like it.

• lauramom0204 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    191. Jul 17, 2012 1:46 PM (in response to Bauer05)

OMG @KristiRPhTX:  I'm glad you are all right!  What a close call.  Definitely take a few days off to recover and make sure you are ok.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone.  You are all doing so well and it's exciting to read about each day.  The doctor wants me to be pain free for a week (maybe two) before running.  I know it's for the best, but I'm dying to get out there.  I'll follow doctor's orders though. 

I still get to feel involved by coming here and keeping up with all the progress.  It's keeping me motivated and excited to get back on the program.

Keep up the good work!!!  

....oh, and thanks for explaining the display name thing.  That is really odd.

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    192. Jul 17, 2012 2:11 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Wow KristiRPhTX, lucky escape.  Glad you're OK.  Like Lauramom says, take a few days out and look after yourself.  Lauramom, hope you're feeling better soon, and glad the messages are keeping you motivated, you'll be back out running with us soon, I hope.

I had a bit of sad news this weekend - my husband and I are divorcing.  Not so bad as it sounds, as we've been separated for nearly eight years, but he's moving overseas in January and so it's probably time to make it formal.  Really happy for him moving on, but sad to see him go - we got together when I was still in my teens, so he's one of my oldest and best friends.  So running's been my therapy.  Well, running, my good friends, my children and chocolate all together.

But back to the program - W6D2 done, no more walking intervals, just straight running from now on.  Really enjoyed tonight's run, just got into a rhythm and went for it.  Looking forward to doing more of the long runs, just switching on the music and switching off the brain, and running just for the joy of it.

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    193. Jul 17, 2012 3:24 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Wow Kristi, glad you are alright!

Tis, sorry about your bad news, hope it all works out for the best for you!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• AnneVant Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    194. Jul 17, 2012 5:16 PM (in response to Bauer05)

@Kristi - so glad you're o.k.

@Tis sorry for your news. Glad running has become therapy for you though. I find it so nice to just be one with the music and my body - oh, and that voice that tells me when to run/walk! LOL.

I ran W6D1 this morning. It was so hot even at 6 a.m., but I worked through it. It was a 10r 5w 10r today and it felt pretty good. I got into a nice rhythm and the breathing is coming...it's not great yet, but I think as my body gets used to what I'm doing it's getting a little better each time.  Hoping it cools down in the morning as I get closer to the longer runs...

I lurk more than post here, but the positive comments and knowing that we're all in this together is very helpful to me! So, thank you for sharing your struggles and your advice. It means a lot.

Keep up the great work everyone!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...