Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3674 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 6:53 AM by BOSNPM RSS
NENEgo Amateur 37 posts since
Feb 22, 2001
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2012 8:16 PM

Ahead of Schedule... What should I do??

I suppose this is a good problem to have, but I'm ahead of schedule for my 1/2 marathon training.  I've kinda combined 2 different beginnger schedules from the internet that I've been following.  I have 4 weeks left on my schedule, but 7 weeks until my race.  I just ran a 10K this past weekend in 54:25.  My goal is to run the 1/2 in 2 hours.  What should I do with my extra weeks to get me to my goal?  Should I just max out at 10 miles like my schedule suggests or should I run farther on my long runs?  Should I add in speedwork?  If so, what type of speedwork?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

• tbdryden Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    1. Jul 17, 2012 4:43 AM (in response to NENEgo)

I ran my first half a couple years ago and ended up with the same issue. What I did was doubled up a couple weeks. Just to be clear I would do say week 10 for two weeks instead of one. I also went ahead and did a couple of my longer runs towards the end a little past the 10 mile mark but never more then 11.5. Hope this helps

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jul 17, 2012 7:09 AM (in response to NENEgo)

Not sure how you end up ahead on a schedule if you stay on the plan?  So it's hard to answer without knowing your level.  Here are my last 3 weeks LR's before my last half I would say it's intermediate level:   4 out: 90 mins last 4 miles @ 1/2 pace and the last mile 10 sec faster then 1/2 pace. 3 out: 85 mins easy with 2 X 1 @ 1/2 pace. 2 out: 55 mins easy 3 X 800 @ 1/2 pace with 60 sec rest between. Or repeat your last three weeks.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Jul 17, 2012 2:38 PM (in response to NENEgo)

I think it would beneficial to extend your LR schedule to at least 10 miles and adding the intervals, hill-work, cross-training and so forth might be of benefit.  Given the 10k time and the month left before the half, finishing around 2 hours would be difficult.  However, it depends on the course and many other factors in the coming weeks. 

I would recommend focusing on the LR and possibly splitting the mileage (a few days a week) if you have the opportunity, so running a route A.M. and P.M. (same day) to build endurance. 

• Coach_Christine D Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    5. Jul 17, 2012 6:51 PM (in response to NENEgo)

Since you have 3 additional weeks I would suggest to do 2 more long runs, the first one 11 miles, then an easier week with the longest run being 8 miles, then the week after 12 miles. This run should be 2 weeks prior to your race. AFter that you will taper to your race to give your body enough rest to do great at the race. Good luck!!

Nov 20, 2007
    6. Jul 18, 2012 8:16 AM (in response to Coach_Christine D)

The Coaches advice sounds like a great plan for you!  When I 1st started 1/2's I would only go to 10-12, I now go to around 15 and I do two hard days every week.    Good luck!

Nov 20, 2007
    8. Jul 23, 2012 6:53 AM (in response to NENEgo)

Splitting your runs allows you to get more miles in and helps you keep your form as you are doing less miles on tired legs, and is fine on any day other than your long run day.  You should run your long runs all at the same time!   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points