Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1420 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2012 2:20 AM by ydiez RSS
SevenMpls Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2012 2:44 PM

Stretching

Heya everyone,

I was looking for the forum search but couldn't find it so I'm sorry if this is a redundant topic!!

For the last couple years I've been doing some running and I always start with a short walk to warm up the muscles then I do a bit of stretching before the run.  Most people I see around the gym however are seemingly just hopping on a treadmill and going right into their run.  So I guess my question is what is better, to stretch before a run, after, or who cares?

The last few weeks I've been running ( I guess I should say jogging around a 6MPH pace) without stretching before hand without any issues although I feel a bit tightness in my hamstrings today ><.

What do you all do??

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Jul 12, 2012 4:42 AM (in response to SevenMpls)
    Stretching

There seems to be two emerging schools of thought, the first being more-widely embraced than the second.

The more widely embraced emerging thought is to not stretch prior to a run.  Walk, do some dynamic movements, etc. but don't stretch.  The belief is that stretching a "cold" muscle increases the chances of injury.  People in this group, however, will often stretch after the run - when things are warmed up.

The less widely embraced emerging group is to not stretch at all - ever.  The belief here is that stretching is actually bad for the muscle.  I've seen demonstrations in a seminar given by my PT where he shows stretching actually shuts down the muscle - it inhibits the muscle's ability to fire.  Now - what didn't get addressed is how long it is inhibited.  If it's a short amount of time maybe it's not big deal.  That being said - there are people who believe stretching is a bad thing and should not be done.  The Sock Doc is clearly in this camp.  If you're interested his stuff can be found here:  http://sock-doc.com/

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jul 12, 2012 7:40 AM (in response to Haselsmasher)
    Stretching

I am with Jim.    I do dynamic before with a slow easy 1-2 miles, before I pick it up!  I do static after for most of my runs.

• theslickmom Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 6, 2012
    3. Jul 17, 2012 2:27 PM (in response to BOSNPM)
    Stretching

What are dynamic movements and static movements? 

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Jul 17, 2012 4:47 PM (in response to theslickmom)
    Stretching

If I do dynamic stretching/warmups (I don't always) I tend to focus on the hips.  I'll stand on one leg and swing my leg as far to one said and then as far to the other as I can.  I'll swing it back and forth for a while - just to get things woken up.  I'll then do the same thing front to back.  Then the other leg.

Static stretches are the mega-classic stretches we've all done.  Lean up against a wall and put one leg back straight to stretch the calf, etc.  Putting your straight leg up on something to stretch your hamstring is another.  Any stretch where you hold the limb still for 30+ seconds would be considered a static stretch. 

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• theslickmom Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 6, 2012
    5. Jul 17, 2012 8:34 PM (in response to Haselsmasher)
    Stretching

Thanks Haselsmasher!

• ydiez Pro 120 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    6. Jul 18, 2012 2:20 AM (in response to SevenMpls)
    Stretching

I wanted to add my personal experience in case it helps.

I had run for many years two-three times a week (4-5 miles every time) and I always did static stretches before and after the run.

About one year ago, I started running longer and more often and started experiencing some muscular problems (mostly to be attributed to the increase in training load).  Then I read about dynamic stretching and switched to dynamic stretches before the run and dynamic stretches afterwards. I even did some experimenting on the subject and my general feeling is that my legs always feel a little heavy at the begining of the run, but this goes away faster when I do dynamic stretches instead of static. Post run recovery time looked a little easier this way too.

I am also posting you a link on dynamic stretching that helped me: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html. I ended up with a combination of the exercices described, I focus a lot on warming my ankles up (tip of the foot on the flor and circular movement both clockwise and counterclockwise) and then do walking lounges and leg lifts. I have to say that I used to get some funny looks by other fellow runners at the begining (dynamic stretching is more noticeable than static), but since then the number of "dynamic stretchers" in my neighborhood has increased significantly. 

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points