Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1388 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 8:41 PM by Lochbain RSS
Belated Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 18, 2012 6:40 AM

Any advice for an absolute newbie?

Hey, everyone.

I'm Rachel, and I turn 18 in two weeks time. I really want to tone a bit and get into shape, so I've made a promise to myself that I'll start the C25K the sunday after my birthday - time to be an adult and take care of my body, right? I'd love to be able to run 10km by the end of the year, but baby steps!

However, being a uni student, I'm pretty much broke as can be - how important is all the state of the art running gear? I have a basic old pair of running leggings from Target, and what I think are either running or netball shoes, I honestly can't remember which. (I vaguely remember buying the cheaper option last year for netball, rather than actual netball shoes, but whether or not they're running shoes is a bit of a question mark.)

I just can't justify spending $120 on a pair of shoes to go run around a lake in a tiny country uni town, y'know? But I don't want to injure my already dodgy netball knees. D:

So yes, advice for this newb?

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Jul 18, 2012 8:01 AM (in response to Belated)

Well, I don't think you need to spend 120 $ in running shoes, but I would advise you to get yourself some decent gear.

For example, buying a couple of pairs of proper running socks (synthetical, not cotton) will save you a lot of blisters. Being a newbie you will not need "spectacular" shoes, but a little research (this might be a good place to start) will give you a closer idea on what are your less expensive options. There are quite a lot of options in the 30-50$ range.

From there on, you do not need much more. Maybe clothes that agree with the temperature you are running in, but that should not be too difficult, again cotton might not be the best idea as it produces friction and might result in chaffing but you will most probably have time enough to see what you need for yourself.

But aside form that, my advice is mainly for you to have fun, it is great to decide that you want to become a runner, but most of all, you should enjoy yourself. This is a really nice and rewarding sport, but the begining is sometimes difficult, take small steps and follow a training plan (C25K seems to be great to start) , find your moments on success and appreciate being able to run a little more or just finishing another training day. Welcome to running!

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• Angel2492 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 18, 2012
    2. Jul 19, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to Belated)

You don't have to spend that much on running shoes, but having a good pair to run with is very important. I think I ended up paying $80 for mine, which isn't too bad. As far as the rest of your outfit goes, you can wear just about anything. For me though, it always feels great to get new workout gear. A little bit of motivation I guess. (:

Beyond that I think the biggest thing is to just have fun. Don't try to push yourself too hard when you're starting. You have to give your body time to adjust. If you push too far and get hurt, or completely out of breath to the point where you can't breathe anymore, you'll quit. Staying positive is huge when you're starting out.

I used to run quite a bit, but stopped when I found out I was pregnant. I just started C25K a few days ago, and it really is a great way to get started. I have the free app downloaded on my phone, it makes it so easy. If you ever feel like you need any support, just let me know. It's awesome that you're taking this step in your life. I hope you enjoy running. (:

• Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011
    3. Aug 11, 2012 8:41 PM (in response to Belated)

I started off with cheep tennis shoes from walmart then got a decent pair on sale at Big 5. The big thing to get good shoes for cheep is to just watch your local stores for sales. Until then just run in what you've got as long as it is comfortable to you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...