Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2228 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2012 8:16 AM by Ryan "Burl Cat" Bierl RSS
Ryan "Burl Cat" Bierl Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2012 6:18 AM

Weight Training in Addition to Marathon Training Program

I am about to start training for my third marathon and I have chose a program that peaks at around 65 miles a week. There is also some speed work during the week. My goal is to run the race in about 2:46 (rather ambitious for me). I have heard mixed reviews about weight training helping with distance running and have decided to give it a shot. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was a good idea to lift 4 times a week (upper and lower body workouts) while running at least 6 days a week, or if I would just tear my body down too much. Thank you for any help/suggestions.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

Hi Ryan,

I think it would be a good idea to talk with a personal trainer at your gym so that you can best develop a weight-lifting program that is personally structured and best fits in with your overall marathon training.  (There are many variations, intensity levels, recommendations and so on).

I have really benefited from weight lifting, especially regarding the importance of upper-body strength for longer distances.  It was very helpful to work with a trainer initially to develop a plan that was specifically designed for the goal of improving running.  Depending on your schedule and expected outcomes, lifting 2 to 3 times per week might be of great assistance.  I think it would improve your performance (over an extended period of time, provided you were following a plan that compliments your marathon training). 

I have been lifting for several years now and it does make a difference with the right combination of other elements. 

Wishing you all the best.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points