Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

998150 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 ... 315 Previous Next
  • NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm not posting a "race report" for the Coon Bluff Extreme Heat Adventure Race, but I know some of you were curious about how it turned out.  My teammate and I finished last by a full hour, so it didn't feel like a race so much as two heat-addled fools wandering in the desert. The basic setup was that there was a "staging area" around some picnic tables at the start, where you could leave any gear you weren't taking on a specific leg.  For each leg you had to go out and locate flags in the desert, then come back home and do some kind of teamwork puzzle, like walking an obstacle course blindfolded following your teammate's directions.  We aced the puzzles but fell down on the map reading.  By the time we got to the final leg of the race on the river, we didn't much care that our inner tube had gotten snagged on a palo verde on the trek out and was slowly sinking as we paddled into the finish.

I think it was a good introduction - my first adventure race and my teammate's first race period.  Most of this outfit's adventure races include some mountain biking, which puts me out of the running. (Har!)

I made myself get up early Sunday morning so I could run my 7.5-mile loop through downtown.  Otherwise I'm basically salcking off, doing super short runs on weekday mornings.  This morning I ran two miles along the canal to and from the bridge, where I had a truly awesome view of the sunrise through some scraps of rainclouds left overnight.

Bill, sorry about your foot injury.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Sounds interesting.  I'm scheduled to do a "Muddy Buddy" in August, it should be an adventure as well ;-)

Ran the Davis Moo-nlight Run this last Saturday with the whole family.  My older son and wife did the 1/2 Marathon and my youngest and I did the 5K.  This isn't really a moonlight run as the 5K starts at 7PM (normally) and the 1/2 starts at 7:15PM.  This race has become more popular and caused traffic jams on interstate 80 bad enough that it took 30 minutes to do the last mile.  We got to see CHP apprehend 2 runners trying to get to the start on time.  Numerous other runners were more successful in getting there, but not something I would recommend. 

Thankfully the races started late.  Which allowed my son and I to get to the starting line mostly on time.  Temps at start of race were around 84F, warm for us coming from the Bay Area, but fairly cool for those in the Valley.  There seemed to be a bit of confusion at the start, 5k/10k start together and not all the 10K runners realized this.  You also had many of the 1/2 marathoners standing around making it harder for everyone to get to the start.  Not to mention few people could hear the announcements over the "loud speakers". 

Consequently, when the race started we were with the 10-12 minute/mile group.  This isn't necessarly bad, but in race with over 2000 finishers it means you 've got to expend extra energy weaving through traffic.  First half-mile was spent looking for room to pass, lots of surging, slow up, surge again.  By mile 1 seemed to be with runners closer in speed.  MIle 1-2 was a more even pace slowly catching runners in front.  Made the mistake of looking at watch at mile 2 and thinking, this is slower then I thought I would be and damn I'm tired.  By 2.5 miles I'd caught all the people I would catch on the last uphill. The younger woman starts slowing on this uphill and I tell her to lean into the hill, she actually takes the advice and speeds up.  She's behind me now and I  focus on the woman in 5 finger shoes ahead of us.  Catch her about 1/4 mile to go.  We turn the corner and I'm thinking it's a long way to finish (didn't run last year, but knew the finish was around a corner - WRONG!).  As we're going the young woman I told to lean into the hill passes me up.  Wait she's going to fast - I'm thinking, then realize as a younger man passes me that the finish is not around the corner, but much closer.  I kick it into gear and catch the guy who passed me, but not enough time to catch the woman.  Turns out my time was a bit faster than both of them (I started later) and, unbeknowst to me, a 12 year old was closing fast on me and finished 2/10ths of second behind me.  Grabbed a bottle of water and headed back to the finish to wait for my son. 

Retrieved my offspring and we headed back to the car to listen to the Giants and returned about 45 minutes later to see the rest of the family finish.  We underestimated my oldest son and missed his finish.  Got to see my wife come in and help direct her to water.  The heat did her in and it took a bit of time for her to recover.  Main complaint from her and older son was the water stations were spaced incorrectly for how warm it was.  They both finished faster then last year and the course was shorter last year.

The ankle felt better then I thought it would and doubt I could have run much faster with it being 100%.  The bad news is while working in the yard on Sunday evening I found another yellow jacket nest in my yard.  Got a nice sting in my left leg.  Didn't think it was too bad, but by Monday my left thigh was close to 2x my right.  Trip to the hospital and now I have a round of antibiotics to get through...If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Ray

• JoniSchatte Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012

Hello!

I'm 52 and have been back at running for about 8 years now. Reclaimed my life after the last of the kids left home:-) I lost 60 pounds and started doing races. In 2009 I had a cooking accident and severed my achilles with pottery... It really was a FREAK accident in every sense of the words. My husband and Dr. didn't think I would ever run again and get depressed. Hubby hauled me down to the bike shop and bought me a really nice bike. I was still wearing a cast and not convinced that I would enjoy cycling. I started swimming and using the bike on a trainer. I couldn't  even swim across the pool a

at first...lol I did make a full recovery. Yes, I can run, but now I want to do Triathlons.

I ran my first half Marathon last March2:05. I'm not a speed demon, nor do I intend to be. I have been swimming 1 1/4 mile 2 or 3 times a week. Anyway...I have it in my head that I want to do a Half Iron Man. I'm registered for one in Septemeber. I'm hoping this isn't a mistake. I'm now on week 12 of the 20 wk training schedule. It's getting harder with the extreme heat here in Texas. I'm tired.....The shedule is consuming a lot of my time. I run 3 days/wk, cycle3 and swim 3. I get to rest on Sunday:-) Some days I just feel OLD! My shedule this week is M~ run 5 mi/swim 1 1/4 mi, TU~ bike 30 miles, W~~ Bike 25 mi. F~ run 10 mi/ swim 30 minutes, Sat~ bike 40 milies. Some weeks I wonder what the hell was I thinking...hahaha

I did run a 10K last Sat. It was 92 degrees at the finish...ugh....I have a sprint tri on Aug 4th. It's a pool swim. I did one last month in open water and totally s*cked on the swim from nerves. I did finish, Now wondering if this is for me.....

I really, really want to do this!!!!!! Kind of thinking I should hold off till next year and get more experience.....IDK

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

Joni, you are obviously a machine!

By all means, go for it!   It must be just like running:  if you get tired, just go a bit slower. 

I was petrified waiting for the starting gun for my first 5 km race 3 years ago.  That went away about 50 paces into the race.

I definitely don't have what it takes to do a tri- but lots of people do it.  No reason why you can't be one of them.

As far as being a "speed demon" in concerned, it's all relative.  My wife might run her first half-marathon this year, and would LOVE to finish in under 3 hours.

I have run several, but haven't reached your speed yet - my PR is just under 2:10.  In my eyes, you ARE a speed demon!

I started running at age 55 - wish I had started earlier like you did!

Good luck, but I bet you won't need luck...

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

urun:  Congratulations on willing yourself through your 20-miler.  Positive thinking goes a long way.

Nan:  So now you're an adventure racer.  Do you want to do this again and finish with a full inner tube?

Joni:  Welcome to our group.  I'm glad your husband got you that nice bike.  Trust your training for your half Ironman and you will do fine.

I decided against last night's River Run.  I was going to do the 3-miler, but it was still over 90 at 5 PM, so I did not go.  I've had problems with heat distress in the past and did not want a repeat. 

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

Urun2me: I like the mantras you used and how you used the beat. I just keepn telling myself that I will miss the train if I don't keep pressing on - no coordenation with my feet. My husband and I were tourists once and we got carried away with the sights until almost time to catch our train. I never ran so far tha tfast before, so I just remember that incident to keep me going. It sounds lik with your determinatioin,  you'll make that marathon.

Nancy: Your "non-race report" gave me a good laugh.

Ray: good to hear from the other western member of this list. I can't believe it - to have traffic backed up on that major route. I bet there will be some changes made if there is a next time. What a nice way to spend an evening with family. Too bad about the kind of luck you had with your yellow jacket nest.

Joni: Your injury and recovery qualify you for the olympics. That's a tough schedule ahead, I wish you the best of luck - but not the bad kind.

My training for the half Marathon in October is coming along slowly. We have done several 6 mile trainings. I'm power walking the  distance but expect to add in some short running in the actual event to change the muscles used. It takes me twice as long as you "youngsters" to rest up from my training - if I try to do two days in a row, my hips really complain. I am faster then some of the others on the team, so I am sure I'll be able to finish within the allowed time. I think.

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi everyone!!

I'm BACK!! haha!

Been awhile and I have missed you all.

I rode 2304 miles on my harley bike from AZ to MN where we are still making some adjustments in our lives and to the weather.

I didn't run for almost 2 wks but started again on July 6th, 6.1 miles in 1:15:20!!!  Pitiful ........ the humidity makes it very difficult for me to breathe.

But after a few days of running, my time is now at 1:01:02, 6.3 miles!!

I miss my RUGGED trails @ 7500 ft!!

We are temporarily living in a cabin by a lake owned by some very good friends.  It's quiet and beautiful with only the sounds of 'whatever resides on lakes' ....haha!!  The great thing is it's almost a mile from the main paved road to the cabin so I can run without hitting any pavement. 

It's all dirt road, about 1/2 mile is through a wide open cow pasture so the challenge is jumping over cow patties!! and running from all the flying insects!! WOW!!  The other 1/2 mile is lined with trees and one slight incline. So started running 6 miles minimum all last week.  

Last Saturday, I decided to start running 8 miles when we went to Fargo, ND. 

Despite the humid heavy air, I ended up running 8.51 miles on an all flat dirt road in a farming area, finishing in 1:25:40. Kinda depressing for me as I have run 10 miles in less time than that ...........

Anyway, I have to be patient and get acclimated.  At least I'm running.

I am not sure when and where I can run in a race but my work schedule is keeping me busy.

We don't have internet access at the cabin so I have to ride into town for a hot spot ........ I don't mind the ride on my bike, as long as it doesn't RAIN!!

The day after we got here, we met with our realtor and we have decided on a house, hoping we close the end of August.

I have to work in Rapid City, SD area in two weeks, then fly ack in AZ in Sept so that's gonna be a very HECTIC time trying to coordinate the move into our new home, and with the movers in AZ.  WHEW!!  But my husband is enjoying his work at the new facilities and loves MN, being close to 'home' and famly (he's from ND originally).   

I am going to try to read all the posts, over 3 hundred of them!!! YES!!!

Also, I wanted to share with you all about our friend who was in critical condition after hitting a deer while riding his motorcycle.

He never regained consciousness and his parents made the most difficult and heart-wrenching decision to take him off the machines.

We attended his memorial in AZ before we left for MN; he was flown back to WV with his family for the funeral.

I will try to keep you all updated and once again, thank you for all the support and friendship.

Trail runner

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Az1414 Welcome back. so very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. life is very temporal . hopefully you were left with many long lasting good memories.

WOW Thats what I really call a bike ride.!!! it appears your running is already adjusting to your climate change. I hope you packed a lot of Hammer heed.

Urun2me I loved your post. I can really relate. I have a light week this week but an 18 mile long run next week. I was thinking about starting at 4:30 to avoid the crazy heat & humidity. When and if the going gets tough. I'll first start sending the prayer request. That might even carry me a little further than you!!!

then I'll start with my mantra. "my body is willing, it's my mine thats weak"

Pkar Sounds like your training is moving right a long NOT SLOW. If you have several 6 milers under your belt seems like your right on schedule. Why push yourself. Three days a week injury free will get you to the finish line for sure.

Steve better safe than sorry.especially when your not constantly training in heat. hope it will soon pass.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Aug 3, 2010

az1414:  My sympathies to you and your husband on the loss of your friend.  Making that end-of-life decision is one of life's hardest.  I know you will miss him.  I hope you like Minnesota; my sister in law lives in Duluth (stayed with her for Grandma's Marathon in mid-June).

Pkar:  Sounds as though your training is going well.  I agree; take it easy, pace yourself and you will do fine.

We're now in lower Michigan for about five days with my sister-in-law (same one we stayed with in May for my first HM of the year).  Raining lightly and far cooler today than back then.  Hoping it stays like this so I can get some good runs in; they live in a remote area with little traffic.

Good luck to those racing this weekend.  Try to stay safe in the heat.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Feb 2, 2012

Rob~ I'm not a machine, but thanks....I just want this so bad and time is not on my side! I know my swimming is bad because of my race nerves. I did the same thing when first running in 5 Ks. Good luck to your wife!!

Steve~ Thanks for the welcome!

pkar~ I'm not a candidate for the olympics. Maybe the SENIOR GAMES? lol Nah, probably not even that.....You're training hard too, best of luck to you.

az1414~ Sorry about your friend. This isn't an easy thing to deal with....

I think the extreme heat here is getting to me. I've decided to take my day off tomorrow. I'll run the 10 miles Friday. We're going to the lake Saturday and I'll do my cycling on the trails with the mountain bike.

BTW~It's going to be 108 here for the next 5 day or more.....ugh.......

Please hydrate if you're going to run on matter where you are!

• pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

Joni - I mean the real Olympics. You know they have the "Up front and personal" TV stories of how the athletes overcome extraordinary injuries and now are in the race. You have qualified for overcoming injuries.

I have qualified for the 2013 Senior Games for the Racewalk! I didn't overcome any hardships to get there though - just out lived the competition. (I was the only one in my age group.) On my Leukemia Team In Training, I find that it takes me twice as long as the schedule to recover from the training. But I think I should be able to complete the HM. It may not be a spetacular time though.

az - You certainly live an adventurous life. Motor cycle trips, dirt roads and cabins by a lake, running around cow flops, all the while getting moved and tending to business. I send condolences for the loss of your friend - I hope your running helps you deal with the stress.

Most of the list is in areas that are in the grips of heat, drought and/or humidity. So far my San Jose, Calif weather has been pleasantly balmy. Have not had to pull shades and close windows to keep house cool yet.This afternoon about 4 PM I took a little jog up the road to test out a new water bottle holder. After being in the cool house, I enjoyed the nice warm sun. We have had droughts here in Calif, so I know what that can be like. But I have not had to put up with typical midwestern or eastern weather. I am impresed with all of you who get out there in spite of it.

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

Feb 2, 2012

So there's really Senior Games? Cool!!! Congratulations on qualifying! WOW!

The older I get the less the competition. Although I gauge my success on how I finish over all and how many ladies finished before me:-)

I did run a 10 K last weekend. It was the hottest race I'd ever done. 92 degrees at the finish! Though there were only 16 entered I finished 6th over all and 4th female. Made me feel better after the diasterous tri 3 weeks ago! lol 

Aug 3, 2010

As I said yesterday, we're in lower Michigan visiting my sister-in-law.  I ran five miles this morning at HM pace in nice, cool weather with a light north breeze.  I plan to run almost every day we're here, somewhere between three and seven miles a day.  The forecast tonight is mid-50s, so tomorrow morning should be just as nice as today.  I'll probably do the same route and repeat part of it.  That way I won't get lost in unfamiliar territory.

Joni, I can't imaging trying to run in 108 degree weather, much less train for a half Ironman.  I know you are pacing yourself.  Maybe it will be cooler in September.  Where in Texas are you?

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

Feb 2, 2012

Steve~ We are in Norht Central Texas, right on the border of Oklahoma. Hot and DRY!!! It was 80 degrees at 6 am yesterday when I did my bike ride. My knees and quads are just plain tired......I do run or bike with water and Stingers. Sports drinks upset my stomach when I get over heated. It can still be quit hot here in September....

Enjoy your runs in that wonderful cool weather.

• Rutrunner Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 17, 2012

I agree this weather can be brutal!  I'm running a 5K tomorrow a.m. at 8.  I'm so glad that it poured rain a little bit ago and that will cool it down for tomorrow morning.  I may do a walk/run as I haven't run in a few months.  This is a race over a bridge and back and I'm sort of a flat-lander.  It will be good to get back in the groove.  I've enjoyed reading about everyones progress, trials, triumphs and commitments.  Have a great race weekend!!

Rutrunner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...