Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1101 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 8:39 AM by ydiez RSS
Rosa Michelle Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2012 1:32 AM

What to see in a Sports Watch?

In the present day, Sports watches come with so many features that it becomes difficult to decide what to choose and what not.

List down what you want to see in your sports watch, and what you consider as unnecessary!

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    1. Jul 18, 2012 10:26 AM (in response to Rosa Michelle)

You migth have opened a can of worms here! There are so many features that I find useful and not that many that i dont...

Important Features:

• Distance/Time
    • Average Pace
    • Current Pace
    • Laps

Not Important Features

• Advanced courses
    • Map downloading

Each watch is different and is aimed at a different runner/cyclist/athlete so my views are not going to be the same as other runners though.

Running Goals:

Sub 2.55 Marathon

Running Blog - www.runtheline.com

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Jul 18, 2012 1:50 PM (in response to Rosa Michelle)

I agree with the above comments.  Heart rate monitor and calorie counters (sometimes not exactly accurate) may be beneficial to some.  Also, water-proof and extra battery life could be an asset depending on training.

In general, advanced GPS functions or wireless connectivity options would be unecessary options for me personally.  Also, I do not want to wear a watch that looks like a caculator or cell phone with a strap attached to my wrist...too bulky and complicated, so the simple workout features are fine. 

• ydiez Pro 113 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    3. Jul 19, 2012 8:39 AM (in response to Rosa Michelle)

I personally do not use the heart rate monitor anymore, it is good data, but for me, it feels uncomfortable to wear.

I use laps, distance, time, current pace the most. I would like to be able to program advanced workouts, however (currently I carry a piece of paper so I don't forget anything and it is quite unconvenient).

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

I like half marathons! Nine completed so far and on PB shape. One to go!. Then it's marathon time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points