Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

121269 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2012 6:20 PM by cmon2 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • HerbalMom Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 12, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 13, 2010 1:50 PM (in response to cmon2)
    Re: pain behind knee - how to get rid of it?

Hi,

If you're still looking for a natural approach to healing, you might try the Muscle & Joint Formula, from Ancient Herbal Secrets.  It works to repair the muscles & joints at the cellular level, increasing the blood circulation and aides the  body in healing itself.  They also have a Muscle & Joint bath soak, which is awesome! Go to    ahsecrets.com/sue      I hope you find relief soon!

• 2bzy Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 10, 2011
    16. Jun 10, 2011 9:12 PM (in response to cmon2)

Hope your knee problem is solved by now...but if not, I'd just like to mention it could be Hamstring/knee Tendonitus.  They suggest Icing, Advil, strengthening exercises for the quads especially, and resting the area before going back to running or high impact aerobic exercise.  My pain was also being felt behind the knee and top of kneecap at times-- also at it worst when bending the knee under resistance.  So I'm going to try this approach first for releif...laying of the Zumba for a while : (

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,164 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    19. Jun 20, 2011 1:22 PM (in response to cmon2)

Everything still improving? There may be a change in your hip    rotation as you change speeds, which would shift the load between inner    and outer hamstrings somewhat. While that may explain some things,   your  goal should be to run all speeds with impunity.

The outer hamstring (Biceps Femoris)    is a two-headed muscle with one main weak spot, in the center of the    muscle belly as it crosses the femur bone, on the way from the OUTSIDE    of the back of the knee to the pubic bone. The inner hamstrings run   more  along the inside of the bone, and attach to the INNER back of the   knee  on the way to the pubes. The one most likely to produce dull pain   in the  back of the knee is the OUTER hamstring. The two heads run   fairly  concurrent, the short head attaching directly to the femur under   that  spot.

http://www.floota.com/images/hamstring%20muscles.jpg

The    isolated stretch for the outer hamstring is done pointing the foot to    the INSIDE, while the inner hamstring is stretched by pointing the  foot   to the OUTSIDE. Note this reversal. Here is a great web page on  the  fine  points of this stretch...

http://www.floota.com/HamstringStretch.html

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/legmuscles/bicepslong/tutorial.html

Before  closing the subject, it's important to remember that the added  circulation massage brings, is not the only kind of circulation you  need. The muscle won't be happy getting blood flow every now and then.  When you are training for this sport, it's hard to find a chair that  will keep the hamstrings happy, because you are sitting on them and  cutting off the circulation these hard-working muscles need. Massaging  them and sitting all day is like water-boarding your muscles. They need  to "breath" freely all day. If you must use them, seek out chairs that  put the least pressure on the belly of the muscle. There was a special  chair called something like "balance" chair they used to sell in Scan  stores and the like. They were kind of like the bottom half of a massage  chair in that you are "sitting" on the un-muscled portion of your shins  instead of your hammies. Good luck finding a car seat like that, lol.  Keeping your foot on the gas pedal is one of the worst things you can do  to these muscles. I have to reach under mine all the time, elevate them  and massage them in traffic, especially during speed work season.

Aug 23, 2009
    21. Jun 21, 2011 5:09 PM (in response to cmon2)

That chair in your link looks like a low-cost knockoff of the original, not just because of origin (some alternatives here...http://sitincomfort.com/kneechairs.html).  It may help in some ways, but the concept of all these chairs is more  back friendly than runner-friendly, because though the thighs are partly  extended to take pressure off the hammies and lumbar, the hammies are  kept in a shortened state. Better than the average chair? Probably.  Better than staying active, probably not. Stay tuned... we'll soon be  leaving our desks and conducting business from our iPads, lol.

Maybe a better office chair?

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/comfortstore/kneelingladyx.jpg

Aug 23, 2009
    22. Jun 21, 2011 7:56 PM (in response to cmon2)

Woops I forget to address your other questions..

Slumping    into a normal chair is not recommended because of the pressure on the    sacrum and lower lumbar (L5-S1), the all-important upper glutes, the hip rotators underneath, and a tendency to pinch the glutes together. There's soooo much important running-related stuff going on in that booty, the slump    is one of the worst things you could do. You could try adding some  kind   of bolster at the shins in a sort of mock-up to test the balans concept, though.

Having said that, a supported slump position, like in a la-z-boy    chair, where the whole spinal curve is supposed to be supported, has    been found to be one of the least stressful positions for your back.    Imagine an office chair like that, with an iPad or some other screen suspended in front of you.. but you would probably fall asleep if you weren't jacked up on Starbucks, lol.

While   the legs are  straighter in a reclining chair and less prone to muscle   shortening,  there is the issue of constant pressure on the bottoms of   the legs for  runners to consider. I wouldn't sit in that position  when  recovering  from speedwork, for example. These "balans" chairs solve most of that by shifting a lot of your weight to the unmuscled part of the Tibia, and away from the hams and glutes,    while straightening the angle of hip flexion, which should benefit    runners' hip flexors as well as the back. Wish there was a way to do    something about the shortened hammies, but that would undercut the physics of the chair.

Congrats   on living car-less, which is something I had  managed to do at certain   points of urban life. It's tough to find an  alternative form of   transportation, though, that is any easier on the  body than walking,   which if it's fast enough, makes you very lucky. I'm  still unhappy with   most of the bike seats out there. About the gas pedal  thing... while   that can lock your hip rotation (the same way using a  mouse can lead  to  shoulder problems), for me, it is the relentless  pressure on the  outer  hamstring, that seems to have it trapped on the  car seat in the  worst  kind of way. I squirm after driving a while, and  have to reach  down and  massage some circulation back into it. Cruise  control, when I  can use  it, is a godsend.

Upon review  of this whole  post, which goes back over a year, the theme  that emerges  is that pain  tends to move around, and one thing leads to  another. This  case  history fits in well with current theories of muscle  dynamics as I   understand them. I too tend to train to the level that  needs constant   maintenance, but that's the athletic life, and we love  it, don't we?  I'm  glad things are working out for you now. One thing  you mentioned   earlier that I did not comment on, is that a gentle  stretch, after the   relaxing massage techniques, seems to be the one-two  punch for  restoring  muscle function. I wish all athletes understood  this as well  as you!

• RunCampWI Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 31, 2008
    23. Oct 29, 2011 5:52 PM (in response to cmon2)
    pain behind knee - how to get rid of it?

I've had similar pain behind my knee for the last 3-4 weeks.  First felt it after a 19 mile training run.  Never extreme pain, but enough to cause me to limp when I walk and when running.  I did a lot of icing while I continued to train, but I haven't been able to get past it. Unfortunately I'm 6 days from my marathon. I've always had tight hamstrings so that may have contributed to this.  Also I probably increased my mileage too quickly in my training. Next time I'll stick to the plan.  This is my first running injury in 7 years. 

After reading this entire thread, and based upon the ongoing pain,  I'm fairly certain I'm backing out of this marathon.  I feel as if I could probably finish unless something went horribly wrong, but I fear causing additional injury and not being able to run at all.  I was really looking forward to the marathon finish, but its not worth risking my daily runs.  After all these weeks of training its not an easy decision.  Planning to see a doctor this week.  Thanks for all the contributed information.

• scottdeclan Rookie 11 posts since
    Mar 13, 2012
    24. Mar 14, 2012 12:08 AM (in response to cmon2)

Knee pain from arthritis is a common problem for individuals of all ages. Individuals over the age of 65 are almost guaranteed to have some form of knee arthritis. The pain is usually sharp but can vary in intensity. This pain behind the knee is found to be on the joint line and in some cases it is also found in the front side of the knee.

http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/329276-17623-28.jpg

Watch 21 jump street movie online

• ThisIsJai Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 18, 2012
    25. Jul 18, 2012 1:36 PM (in response to cmon2)

Hey OP,

Glad to know your knee has healed now. I have been suffereing from the same exact problem as you originally had, for the past 8 months now. How did you get rid of the pain behind the back of your knee?

Thanks

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points