Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1967 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2012 11:37 AM by rb77
HDlowrider Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2012 5:14 PM

Need help,i dont want to quit running!

About 2 months ago i decided to make a change in my life ,and quit smoking and start taking better care of myself. Found the C25K program on the ap store on my phone,downloaded it and started running.I absolutly love running now and am very dedicated. During the second week of the program i felt like i could do more ,so ran much more than the program asked for, i developed severe knee pain on the medial side of both knees. I took a trip to the doctor ,because i was even in pain to walk,get out of bed or go up and down stairs. She told me that i had probably overdone myself, told me not to run for 3 weeks,gave me a shot of steroids,told me when i started to run again to stick to the program, and reminded me that  i was no longer a spring chicken (im 41) LOL!  I had done everything the doc had told me and 3 weeks later my legs felt fine(no issues at all), Started the C25K again last week from the begining. First week went well no issues, on day 2 of week 2 after my 5min warmup walk,i started my run and had pain in both knees within the first two strides. This is really bumming me out because i love to run,but whats the point if im going to be in pain every few weeks! I'll give you some info about my workouts.....1. i usually run on Mon,Wed,and Fri and work out my upper body on the days i dont run .....2. i usually walk 3 to 6 miles,after my C25K workouts......3. run on paved or concrete surfaces ,with mild hills......4. I know im due for some new running shoes,but not really sure what to buy(so many different shoes for running, running isnt suposed to be complicated LOL).....5. Running with heal landing first, also feels like im running on the outside of my feet ....... A Few Questions 1. Should i go 2 days in between running ,to give my legs time to rest.....2 Does the extra walking i do after the run cause strain on my knees (should i just stick to the program and do nothing extra),   3. should i be running on gravel untill my legs and knees get strong,......The knee pain i am having now isnt as severe, only when running,not walking or normal things during the day, I dont want to quit ,because i love it, but if i cant fiqure out something so i can run regular without severe pain ,i may have to take up bike riding,and i dont want to do that ! So any advice would be apreciated. Thank You

• 2LulaSue Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 6, 2012
    1. Jul 19, 2012 5:27 PM (in response to HDlowrider)

I'm sorry you're having a rough time.  I really don't have any answers for you, other than maybe your knee pain deserves a call to the doctor.  If you have pain it's a sign something is wrong.  Running on it may make it worse.  As much as you don't want to hear it, you may want to consider holding off on running until you know what's wrong.  Try an elliptical - it's pretty low-impact and, using the right settings, can help your endurance until you know what's what.

Congrats on quitting smoking - I know exactly how hard that is! 

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Jul 19, 2012 6:43 PM (in response to HDlowrider)

Although the knees hurt that may not be where your problem is.  Sometimes there is a problem someplace else that DOESN'T hurt, but that problem results in undue forces or circumstances someplace, and then the pain shows up there.  My PT has told me of cases where a patient has had Plantar Fasciitis and he has worked ONLY on the hips and the foot pain goes away.

By chance do you sit a lot during the day?  As more and more of our lives (professional and personal) involve computers all the sitting is just MURDER on the glutes.  If they're not working well it can cause a chain reaction down the entire leg.

I obviously don't know if that is your particular situation.  I am making the case, though, to seek out a really good Physical Therapist.  Many times for over-use injuries (the majority of running injuries are over-use - not acute) a PT or good sports Chiro is WAY more effective than a doctor.  They can check whether muscles are working well or not, etc.

I've seen much more serious things sideline a wannabe runner.  I wouldn't lose hope at all.  Yes - it's frustrating.  But with perseverance and an attitude of "I'm going to go lick this thing." you'll get through it and be on the  road pain free, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• ydiez Pro 141 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    4. Jul 20, 2012 1:48 AM (in response to HDlowrider)

First of all, welcome to running!

I fully understand the frustration involved with not being able to run, so I will give you some very good advice someone gave me in this forum: First Health, then running. Focus on getting better and once you are recovered then start running again, do not rush it.

In general, there are many pains associated with running, but, as a rule of thumb you can divide them in:

1) pain that fades when I start running -> These ones are generally OK

2) pain that gets worse when I start running-> these ones generally imply some more looking into.

I got injured in my right ankle some years ago, the following week I decided I was OK and went running, basically I destroied it and it took me two years of lots of patiente, PTs, doctors and swimming to be able to run again comfortably, but nowadays I am running much more than before my injury and my ankle feels stronger than ever.

In your case, it looks like one of the problems might also have been "doing too much too soon", so I would advice taking the opposite route. Start very very slow, walk if you can't run, do not overdo it even if you feel you can. Always remember that your body needs time to adapt. In the main time, cross training might be a good idea, including some exercices that might help strenghtening your knees (I am thinking on low impact exercices such as swimming or running on water). Also finding a good PT or doctor whith experience with runners might help if the problem persists (I am not a doctor, but the steroid shot you mention sounds to me like some of the things that get some of the runners/doctors in this forum screaming).

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    5. Jul 21, 2012 9:54 AM (in response to ydiez)

FWIW You might want to ck out Chi Running or one of the other natural running forms that help you shorten your stride and remind you to strive for good posture. This take some of the stress off the knees and other joints to help reduce injuries. Also, some good running shoes will help. Finding the style that is right for you will likely be a series of trails and errors, but a good local running shoe store can point you in the right direction. One day of rest between runs should be sufficient. I truly believe that consistnacy is the key to running. Good luck and don't give up.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Zeke351 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 14, 2012
    6. Jul 21, 2012 10:41 AM (in response to HDlowrider)

A couple things that helped me.  I am 255 lbs and my knees were killing me when I would first try to run.

1. Get good shoes!  Go to a running store that can do gait analysis and work with you to find the right shoe.
    2. ?I changed my foot strike.  I changed from a heel strike to a mid strike and it made a huge difference to me.  It is more tiring on the muscles but much kinder on the knees.
    3. I stopped the extra walking after my runnning days to give my body a chance to better recover.
    4. I put 2 rest days in after the first workout of the week since the effort level goes up.  The other 2 workouts I have one day of rest in-between.
    5. RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. I ice my knees immediately after a workout to keep the swelling down.  Most of the time this is all I need to manage the soreness,  ALthough Aleve has become a pretty good friend also.  LOL
    6. Follow the program as written for now.  Save the pushing it until you get more comfortable with this process.  Or better yet after you finish!

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jul 21, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to HDlowrider)

It's really hard to be sure what is causing your pain, but I'll comment on some of what you said.  I would recommend doing your long walks on your non-running days.  Running surface probably doesn't matter as long as your shoes are in good shape and your form is good.  Form: Run erect (maybe a slight forward lean from the ankles), keep your head up, keep your knees flexed slightly and plant your feet beneath your hips (not out in front of your body).  If you think of looking at it from the side, your feet should not lead your knees.  This will usually also move you closer to a midfoot strike, though there is nothing inherently wrong with heel striking, as long as your form is good.  Shoes are tough.  A good "stability" shoe is usually a reasonable choice, unless you're a severe under-pronator.  Check your current shoes for a wear pattern and take them with you to a good running store when you buy new shoes.  If you have heavy wear all along the outside edge of your shoes, you probably under-pronate.  Look for a "cushioned" shoe.  Heavy wear all along the inside edge means you tend to over-pronate.  Look for a "stability" shoe.  I would stay away from "motion-control" shoes altogether.

Len

Len

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    9. Aug 4, 2012 11:37 AM (in response to HDlowrider)

What's wrong with bike riding???

Riding my bike has saved me many a (non-added) pound of weight, while trying (like yourself) to figure out how to get back into running, because of various injuries (shin splints, plantar facciitus, and a pulled hamstring).

Also, I have never injured myself biking. That is not to say I won't someday.

I still like both running and biking. Sometimes I'm more in the mood for one over the other.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points