Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

938753 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 ... 315 Previous Next
  • Rutrunner Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 17, 2012

I agree this weather can be brutal!  I'm running a 5K tomorrow a.m. at 8.  I'm so glad that it poured rain a little bit ago and that will cool it down for tomorrow morning.  I may do a walk/run as I haven't run in a few months.  This is a race over a bridge and back and I'm sort of a flat-lander.  It will be good to get back in the groove.  I've enjoyed reading about everyones progress, trials, triumphs and commitments.  Have a great race weekend!!

Rutrunner

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Welcome Joni!  You have such an inspiring story.  Stay strong, and all the best with training for your triatholon.

Rutrunner~All the best on your 5k tomorrow.  Run strong!

My two sons and I ran the Wheel & Heels Rush to Festa 5k last night to benefit spinal cord injury research.  Our city has a dozen ethnic festivals celebrating the diversity of our area during the summer.  Most of the festivals opening nights feature a 5k to benefit different charities and causes. The misty rain and 70 degree temperatures were a welcome respite from the 100+ degrees on Tuesday.  The race featured a wheelchair/handcycle event that began 5 minutes before the foot race.  The racers were amazing and highly competitive!  The race began and ended at the festival grounds, traveled along the Lake Michigan shore past the Calatrava designed art museum, out onto Veteran's Park, a loop around the lagoon, the return to the festival grounds. The winds were gusting off the lake, and the first 1.5 mile we headed into the wind, but had a nice tail wind on the way back.  If only I could have hoisted a spinnaker to catch the wind, maybe I could have come in under 30 minutes!  My oldest son came in at 20 minutes, younger son at 26 and the Garmin recorded 32:06 for me.  Only  5 more months to achieve one of my goals for this year of running 5k in under 30 minutes!  I'll keep trying.   After the race, fresh fruit and bottled water offered. Our race numbers gained us free entry into Festa Italiana for LOTS of great food and music.  Not bad for my first race in the rain!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Joni ...Welcome! Awesome!

urun: congrats on the 20 miler...you are so ready for this next full monty.

Nan; the event sounded like it was still lots of fun

ax1414: welcome back, we've missed you. So sorry to hear about your friend.

Ray: glad you all made it to the race, sounds like it was a mad house. Sorry about you getting "chicked". You should have cried foul!

Hi Tony & Steve!!

Phyllis, good luck at the Sr Olympics. I am so anxious to hear all about them! We are cheering you on!

Rutrunner: good luck on your race this morning!!

Debra, Great job on your 5K, you will be breaking that 30 min goal soon!

Sorry if I missed anyone else!

I've had a good wk running. The miles have been short (by schedule) but I've made sure they were all quality runs. One was a trail run, one speed session, one hill repeats, and today was a solo 5K at race pace. I came in 1st place! LOL  The swag left lots to be desired, all I got was a lousy bottle of water that I brought from home, but it was sooooo good and cold!

Happy running my mighty master friends. Stay   cool!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009

Hi Everyone. First of all thanks for all the kind words about my broken foot.

I'm almost two weeks into my injury and I have learned that when something like this happens, whether you like it or not you need to re-group.

Fortunately I am now in a walking boot so I am much more mobile.  I am allowed to put pressure on my heel (it was a broken 5th metatarsal bone) so I have been able to get on my recumbent exercise bike. It is not nearly the same as running but it does allow me to do something.  I may also try swimming as some have suggested. One good that may come out of this is that the break from running has actually helped my plantar faciaitis situation. My spirits are good and I look forward to getting back out there on the roads.

Good luck to all of you in your upcoming runs and races. I will be trying to keep up with all the postings.

-Bill

Feb 17, 2012

Orchardgirl- How wonderful to run with your sons AND in 70 degree temp!! 

Ran at 8a.m. this morning for a fund raiser for a little 3 year old girl.  I ran this race last August.  It was my first race in 15 years.  I had to run it again this year.  My time was the worst ever - 38min. 25 seconds, but the bridge and the heat were a killer.  The biggest reason I ran slower is that I hadn't run enough before the race to get back into shape.  I was very happy to finish it and am looking forward to finding another 5K.  I want to get my time under 30 min. I have been about 3 min away from that and then I 'think' I would like to look at a 10K. 

Hope everyone is having a great run this weekend.  

Rutrunner

• JoniSchatte Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012

So there is really a Senior Olympics? Where, when, how do you quailify? I've always wondered why they didn't have one....thought it would be cool....I guess because I live so far out, I've never heard of it.

Phyllis~ Best of luck to you! Can't wait to hear all about it. When is it?

~urun~ 20 miles! WOW!

Rutrunner~ How was the 5K??? Hope you had a good run!

girlintheorchard~ SOunds like you stay busy with all these events so close by! SOunds like you had a great time. I wish we had more events here closer to me. I live in a town of 770 people and am the only "crazy" here! lol I'm sure the farmers think I am....Haha

Paintinglady~ What are you training for? Sounds like your doing well!

If I'm redundant on posting forgive me. I haven't got the usernames and real names sorted out yet:-)

I did my 10 mile run this morning. It was hot and I wish I had started before daylight. I have to be careful since I run on farm roads with no shoulders. Took me 1:43:22. Not fast, but I figure once it cools off here I'll see the benefit of all this road work. My dog is my only running buddy. Rachel is an 8 year old Border Colley/Brittany spaniel mix. She has unlimited energy!!!

The high today is supposed to be 111.....ugh.....

• JoniSchatte Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012

billsr~ So sorry about your foot. The thing about an injury is it heals in it's own time and you just have to wait it out. Stinks, but it is what it is......

My achilles took a total year before I was able to compete again. Very frustrating. I hope you heal quickly.

Feb 17, 2012

Joni - Your 10 mi run sounded really ambitious.  I imagine you run that a lot.  I would like to work up to it.  Also I agree with you about wanting to know about Phyllis' experience with the Senior Olympics.  Like to hear about it too.

Billsr - That is too bad about your foot, but you certainly have a good attitude about it.

Painting Lady - Congrats on your run and 1st place. 

As a side I got a 1st place trophy in my age division which shows you it really does pay to get old.  I don't think there were too many of us older runners.  I was glad the race was this a.m. because tonight I really slammed my toe (the one who didn't get any roast beef) into the sofa leg and it is sore.  Look at the positive I say.

Great running everyone:)

Rutrunner

• oldohioron Pro 113 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011

Thanks Webpro, Lots on great information.

Sat I ran 13 early in the morning, it was about 65 degrees out. Great running weather. I decided to start with water for hydration and set up loops that would pass the same spot every 2 miles. I think it helped I was not as dehydrated when I finished for sure. I was able to run strong to the end. I did find myself losing focus from time to time and slowing down. It wasn't because I could not run faster it was just because my speed fluctuates. 2:08 not bad for an old guy! I think I will do some experimenting with some way to carry some water as I run and maybe some fueling options. I saw some belts at the sporting goods store that might work well to carry water. I also have a backpack that has a place for a bladder. That could be another option. I think it is time to start looking for some longer races beyond the 5k.

Age 65

Started C25K June 6, 2011

Completed C25K August 6, 2011

Lions Club 5K August 13, 2011........................... 25:54

Sole to Soul 5k March 31, 2012.......................... 23:52

Home Run for the Homeless April 28, 2012 ..........24:15

May in Bay May 26, 2012................................... 22:43 1st in AG

Fat Little 5k June 16, 2012.................................. 22:39.6

Lions Club 5k August 11, 2012............................ 21:51 1st in AG PR

North Coast Challenge Sept 1, 2012.................... 40:30 PR

• Pinoy1 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008

Been weeks since my last post here(perspectives of My Journey). Last June 3, I ran my 7th Marathon within a year at Ventura.  It's  the first time, I ran a full marathon without walking.  It's an agonizing Journey because  my plantar faciitis flared up at mile 13. The continues gradual downhill #from # Ojai to Ventura beach front helped me  ran/jogged with pain to the finish line with a time of 5:05:40hrs.

On July 29, I will be running Stage 8 of My Journey in San Francisco.  Training and preparation for SFM been hampered by a couple of nasty injuries. I am now fully recovered and believe I am ready for the challenge. More more details, please visit

http://http://arthur-seniorrunner.blogspot.com/

GOOD LUCK and run safe to all!

Personal Record @ Age 69

5K - 25:24

5M - 42:19

10K - 53:47

Half Marathon -1:57:43

Full Marathon - 4:42:49 @ age 68

The Journey:

1. 10/09/2011 - Long Beach Marathon ........ 4:48:00

2. 11/06/2011 - Santa Clarita Marathon ....... 5:07:06

3. 12/04/2011 - California International ........ 4:57:22

4. 01/05/2012 - Surf City Marathon ............. 5:11:57

5. 03/18/2012 - LA Marathon ..................... 5:02:10

6. 05/06/2012 - OC Marathon .................... 5:14:07

7. 06/03/2012 - Ojai to Ocean Marathon ......5:05:40

8. 07/29/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Ron:  I use an Amphipod water belt.  It has only one bottle, where the setup my son uses has four small bottles.  He can carry both water and sports drink, where I am limited to only one fluid, but since I refill it at every water station of a half marathon, I can choose what to get.  It's about 16 oz and the belt stays tight enough that it doesn't slip down.

Debra:  How great to run with your sons.  My son and I have run a 20K and a half marathon together this year.  By "together" I mean we start together for about the first mile, then he goes ahead.  He's consistently one minute per mile faster than I, so he waits for me at the finish line.  It means so much to me that we can start together and compare notes at the end.

Joni:  Congratulations on your 10-miler.  That's an excellent time.  I'm glad you have your four-legged running companion.  My 12-year-old beagle likes his 15-minute walks, but I've never tried to get him to run with me.  Not his thing.

Rutrunner:  Congratulations on your excellent finish.  It proves that we oldsters are still competitive.  Keep going.  You will get under 30 minutes.

Billsr:  So glad to hear that your foot is improving and that you can use your recumbent.  When I was recovering from my sciatica last summer and couldn't run, I walked 30 minutes a day.  I know it helped me and I know your exercise bike is helping you stay fit.

Pinoy:  I'm glad to see your post.  You have been busy with your marathons and I see your times have been consistent.

I know I have missed replying to some posts.  Hello to everyone and I hope you're have good weekends of training and racing.

We're still visiting family in lower Michigan.  The mornings have been much cooler than in Chicago, so I've run the last three mornings at 6AM for an hour.  I don't want to stay out longer, because by the time I get back people are up and having breakfast and I want the time with them.  My wife's nephew and his family are here too and we haven't seen them in some time.  This has been a great summer to see family and get in some good races.

All is progressing well on the grandchild front.  The due date still August 30th, stay tuned for more as we get closer.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Steve- running when visiting family and on vacation is a joy.  New routes, new neighborhoods, new sights to explore.  Keeps me on my toes so I can find my way home. 

Az1414-  So sorry about your friend.  Your ride sounds wonderful!  Whenever I ride, especially a long trip, I think of my mortality and offer up a prayer!

Tough 5k training run Tuesday (dead legs/high humidity), better 5 miles Thursday, then 11.2 miles Saturday; ran from home into town, met friend at 'Jitters', local coffee shop, and refueled with a "Big Louie", a combo of espresso and ice cream!  O, and topped with whip cream.  I sailed the 5.6 back home!

A question for all you mature and experienced runners: I've been tentatively planning a half marathon for 10/21, but with the miles I've been able to get to on my long, slow runs, I'm considering going for the FM instead.  Am I crazy?  I've never run HM before, and one 10K.  What do you think??? (Also, that day is my oldest brother's BD; he has been chronically ill for several years and in/out of hospital much of last year.  He may not make it to his BD; so I'm thinking of running it for him.)

Thanks for your input.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Dan. If you kept increasing your mileage every other week by 2 miles. You could run a full as long as you planned on using a 30/30 or 1/30 ratio. However I would think it would be a good idea to get a couple of halfs under your belt first. All the extra mileage your booking. Will only help you run your half better and quicker. I would suggest keep working your plan and find a great half in Oct or November and run it for your brother. knowing how you are from reading your post. It won't be long before you'll be talking about running your second half faster than your first. Whatever you decide best of luck. I had an easy week this week. Got 18 scheduled for next week. Have my fueling plan all in order. hopefully I will have something good to report next week

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• KimKnapp0 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 8, 2011

Hello from Florida... on vacation and have not had time to read all the recent posts thoroughly. Have a few minutes to give you an update...

Those who are dealing with injuries I hope you are recovering well and improving... with time you will be running again. 

Looks like y'all are kicking, reaching your goals and on track with your training... dealing with the heat ... those in cooler temps - enjoy! Way to go everyone!!!!!

This morning I ran my longest to date 16 miles, in a new town, Ocala Florida (visiting my son and his wife who just moved there) I ran throughout the Historical District... WOW... what an awesome view ... old homes, huge shady oaks - limbs so long they reached out and nudged me...pushing me along my route.... so I believed     had a good... LSD  long, slow distance training run in the heat .... many hills, long gradual steep grades...Running in Houston where it's flat, the hills were welcome and challenging. Good overall workout!

The BEST part of the run is my husband followed me in the car with my hydration. He stayed a good distance away. At mile 10 this woman drove up next to me and asked me if I was aware there was a man following me in a white car?! I told her yes, that was my husband with my water... I thanked her for looking out for me! Wonderful to know there are still people in this world who care and take action! I am writing a letter to the editor of their local paper to express my gratitude... kindness of a stranger.... warmed my heart.

I'm 8 weeks out from the Denver Marathon 26.2  & on track with my training plan. Found hydration and gels that I like and work well. Learning when to have gel and drink....getting comfortable....so far so good. In 3 weeks I have my first 20 mile run... I am actually looking forward to it. I plan to study the Denver course map... know the water station miles so I can train with drinking and having gel at those miles... I ran the half there last year so am familiar with the first half of the course... and being mindful of dealing with the altitude, will be there early to get adjusted before the run.

Happy running everyone.... Have a GREAT week!

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

Dan,

Speaking as one who is the same age as you, has just run his first full marathon, and started running relatively late in life (at age 55, three years ago), I can offer a bit of advice based not on expertise, but on personal experience.  I don't want to rain on your parade, or dampen your dreams, or whatever cliche is most fitting...

I trained for over 6 months, specifically for two races:  a 30 km race, and the marathon.  This after a full year of training for and running my first two half marathons.

One thing I learned might sound so obvious to anyone who has run a marathon.  I came to this revelation about 20 miles into mine.  Voiced it to another participant, who looked at me and basically said, "Duh!"

My big insight:   "Running a marathon is WAY more than twice as hard as running a half-marathon!"

I have been told by a physiotherapist here in my home town that the three leading causes of running injuries are:   "Too much.   Too fast.  Too soon."  I think running a marathon in your second year of running, without the benefit of any half-marathon training first, and putting yourself under the pressure eof finishing in honor of a loved one is a great formula for disappointment.

I am so sorry to hear about your brother.  I can't imagine what you're going through, and am inspired by your strength given his situation.

But your brother's memory will be there next year, and the year after.

I recommend you prepare properly for your first marathon.  Prevent injury, prevent disappointment, make your first a tribute to your brother that you'll remember with pride.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...