Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14244 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 6:16 AM by okjoan RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Crjeffrey Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jul 12, 2012 5:11 AM (in response to Joan48732)
    Starting C25k tomorrow - any advice?

I can't remember where I read this...."no matter how slow you go, you will always lap the people on the couch"....I just finished week two....some days were great, some not so great, but I finished!  Keep up the great work crew!

• lalakelley Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 11, 2012
    46. Jul 12, 2012 11:59 AM (in response to Joan48732)

It is a fabulous program. I just finished it 3 weeks ago. I had never run more than the manditory mile in school. So it had been forever. Yesterday I ran 4.5 miles easily and I love running now. I do my first 5k in a few days and am super excited. A few tips, don't do it with someone else. I tried to have friends do.it with me twice and all quit, first time I did too. You can look ahead all you want but take it with a grain of salt, it looks discouraging but you can do it. I saw someone else say it but definitely remember "No matter how slow you run you will always be lapping anyone sitting on the couch". Just keep running! If you can, go get fitted for good running shoes. I waited till week 5 to do it and it helped me so much. If you live in GA there is a great place in Athens called Athens Running Company. If you have problems go back a week or 2 but don't give up. I had leg pain in week 7 so I started over at week 5 which I only had to do for a few days. It only put me back a few days but if I wouldn't have I may never have finished. Good luck and just keep running! It's so worth it in the end to know you finished.

• Medbill Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 30, 2012
    47. Jul 13, 2012 9:08 PM (in response to GeoWolf)

I'm very slow at this point too!  The Alzheimer's benefit I signed up for is also a walk, so I will be able to jog as much as I can then walk the rest, or however I feel like doing it. I'm sure for the 10k I want to sign up for in November, they will have a minimum speed requirement...  So, I will have to make sure I will be able to keep the pace before I sign up!

Dot

NE Oklahoma

Jun 30, 2012
    48. Jul 13, 2012 9:11 PM (in response to okjoan)

I will look into the Hot Mama in Edmond!  I actually live in Bartlesville and work in Tulsa, but Edmond isn't too far to travel, in fact I'm going there on Thursday!

Dot

Jun 30, 2012
    49. Jul 13, 2012 9:16 PM (in response to BklynGal38)

I'm taking it slow too!  In fact, the app I'm using is a 8 week app, but I'm repeating enough days to stretch it out to at least 12 weeks. Today was my second time to do W3D2.  I'm doing all of weeks 3, 4, 5, and 6 two times.

That should help build up cardio endurance as well as my muscles!

Happy training!

Dot

• Missouristar Amateur 13 posts since
    May 28, 2012
    50. Jul 16, 2012 9:32 AM (in response to TisforTiara)

"but for just starting out, the runs should be a pace where you feel you can't comfortably run any slower. "

That is wonderful advice!  I'm repeating W4 for the third time and didn't think I'd ever get past it until I slowed down my pace.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is for endurance, not speed.  For those who think they can't do it, I'm a 62 year old lifelong couch potato and I'm having the most fun of my life!  Yesterday was a non run day and I couldn't stand it, so I got out and walked a 5k!  I never would have done that before - at least not willingly!!

• BklynGal38 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 15, 2011
    51. Jul 18, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to Joan48732)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow - any advice?

I completed W3 (repeated the week)  I will be starting W4D1 tomorrow.  It should be today but this heat wave is a killer.  The app I'm using is 8 weeks which I know I will be repeating weeks 4 and on.  I have no problem repeating the weeks either.  To me as long as I keep moving then I am succeeding.  I get this high when I know I am going to jog.  On my off days I think about the next jog session.  It is an amazing feeling when you complete each day.  I have notice changes in my leg mucsles and its an awesome feeling.  When I repeated W3 I noticed the second time around I my speed picked up a little.  Starting out I was slow and I was comfortable with that. Lets see if that is what happens with W4.  Keep up the good work everyone. 

• Angel2492 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 18, 2012
    52. Jul 19, 2012 12:01 PM (in response to Joan48732)

I just started recently, too. You're right, the app really does help. I think my biggest advice is to not push too hard and to not get overwhelmed with it all. Running really does feel great, and I'm so glad I started running. I'm only on day 2 right now, ha. But I don't have any intention of stopping. (:

Jun 15, 2011
    53. Jul 20, 2012 5:48 AM (in response to Joan48732)

Hi all.  W4D1 completed and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I had though it would be.  I know as I go further into the program it will get tougher, but I know I will do it.  You are right Angel, the key is not pushing yourself too hard.  You should push yourself but not further than your body will allow.  I for a couple of years I had said I wanted to try running but never did anything about it.  I am so glad I have.  Keep up the good work everyone.

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    54. Jul 22, 2012 2:41 AM (in response to Joan48732)

Still here trudging along.  Just did week 6 day 1 and I'm excited that soon I will be done with walking in the middle of my jogs.  At least scheduled walking.  LOL  Still a little slow.  Allright, allright, very slow.  I'm going to make a T-shirt with a penguin and a turtle passing me.  Maybe a skinny me. 

Just wanted to check in and say good work everyone.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• citydude Amateur 34 posts since
    Aug 28, 2006
    55. Jul 22, 2012 6:19 AM (in response to Joan48732)

Have fun.....plan and simple enjoy!!!!

• 300poundsandrunning Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 22, 2012
    56. Jul 22, 2012 7:14 AM (in response to Joan48732)

I'm on Week 4 Day 2....and I am having som much fun doing it!

Check out my journey to losing weight and becoming a marathon runner: www.300poundsandrunning.com

http://twitter.com/300lbsandrunnin

http://www.facebook.com/300poundsandrunning

Jun 15, 2011
    57. Jul 25, 2012 5:38 AM (in response to Joan48732)

Hi all.  I completed W4D3 yesterday.  Maybe it was the heat but it was a tough one.  There were a couple of time when I thought I wouldn't be able to finish but each time I thought about stopping I told myself that I couldn't give up.  In the jogging periods I almost had to walk a bit but I kept focusing on the music.  I told myself there is only 2 1/2 min left...now only 1 min and you can't stop with 1 minute left.  It was really humid out but I completed it.  I will repeat this week as I know I will do with the remainder weeks and I am cool with that.  I want to make sure I can handle the next week and the next without reinjuring my knee.  Keep up the good work everyone.   Geo, T-shirt idea is cute. I consider myself a penguin too. 

• okjoan Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2012
    58. Jul 25, 2012 6:16 AM (in response to BklynGal38)

I thought W4D3 was hard too! I did W5D1 today and it was easier. Keep going!!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...