Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

579 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 2:44 PM by Jasko123
BlueyzRN Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 25, 2012 3:01 AM

Is it possible??

Hi!

I am new to running....just made it to the three mile mark upright without walking!! My friend asked me to do a half marathon in February... Is it possible to walk/run that distance by that time? Is it unsafe to run/walk that distance so new to the sport?

• ydiez Pro 141 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Jul 25, 2012 3:10 AM (in response to BlueyzRN)
    Is it possible??

First of all, congratulations on taking up running and I wish you lots of happy miles.

No problem with setting goals, as long as you train properly for them and do not overdo it. Running can sometimes be tough (specially at the begining), so you should focus on enjoying your runs at first.

Once you have achieved that, improved your fitness level a little and are more confident with your running skills, there are many training plans for HM out there, from walking to elite, a quick search led me to Hal Highdon's plans which might be useful for you.

http://halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

So yes, it is possible, but it will take some training, a positive attitude and lots and lots of power of will to follow the training plan that you choose.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Jul 26, 2012 2:44 PM (in response to BlueyzRN)
    Is it possible??

You have some time for training, but the half is a real challenge, so I would recommend that you go through the ranks and complete some 5k, 8k and 10K races before February.  Those will give you greater experience and perspective with building confidence and endurance.  I would never suggest the half as your first race opportunity, because that environment is much different than personal training. 

Specifically, it is certainly okay to run/walk for most events, but you still need the preparation base to handle the distance. 

Wishing you all the best and get in those entry forms. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points