Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

776 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 9:30 PM by crl8686 RSS
BlackHillsMom Amateur 26 posts since
Jun 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2012 7:47 AM

Learning to go the Distance

Hi. I'm a new runner. I started 6 months ago...just adding some jogging to my walks. I've done two 5K's now. Both times I allowed myself to walk a few times, finishing around 33 mins. Having never been a runner before, 3 miles still feels like a long distance to me! Lately I've been doing sessions of 2 miles on the treadmill. After a while, I'm just ready to quit, either from boredom or just tired of breathing heavy!! So my question is...how do you push past that? I'm sure it's more psychological than anything, and maybe some people just enjoy running more than I do. I would like to increase my distance, and am just looking for any advice.

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Jul 26, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Unless you're having some severe pains or gasping for air, basically something physiological which means you better stop and see a doctor or call 911, your issues are most likely lack of conditioning and yes, in your head.  Noone can make you want to keep running except you.  There's lots of mental tricks people try to play with themselves, but it all basically comes down to self motivation.

Try to add variety to your running, or I've read that if you're a social person a running partner can help you through the head game ruts.

Setting running goals, like besting your 5K times is a great motivator for some people, myself included.

Good luck.

• ydiez Pro 118 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    2. Jul 26, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Learning to listen to your body and not paying too much attention to what your head is telling you is very important.

For both purposes I use: music and... experience. The first helps you take your mind off your breathing, the second one gives you a sense of perspective about how much of what you are experiencing is real and how much is just your heads playing tricks on you.

I recommend that you find a way to enjoy your run, for me it is a time of day when I fight off stress and have some "me" time. I leave home, turn the music on and see miles go by. Sometimes I think about work, sometimes I focus on the music and, yes, sometimes I think about how tired I am, but most of the times I am just enjoying the feeling of being out there running (because it is summer or winter or cold or night or even because it is raining). How to discover what you enjoy about running? I would suggest not overdoing it, walk if you cannot run (and maybe go back the next day), if you are too tired today, keep at it a while longer, and if you have to, stop, but come back the next day.

Once your run is not only about effort but also about other things, then you will stil need to keep an eye on your body so you do not overdo it, but experience will tell you when you are really at your limit and when you ara just having a bad day (sometimes you can "outrun" these). Do not worry too much about your limits, they are there, and are difficult to overcome, but if you keep at it (mainly because running is something you like to do), then they will keep on rising.

Keep up the good work!

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Jul 27, 2012 9:30 PM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

I have always had a very strong internal motivation to run - for me, it feels good to exert myself and drip sweat, I like starting the day doing something good for myself, and it's a combination of precious "me time", stress relief, an opportunity to challenge myself and escape from the rest of the world for a little while. I'm always looking for excuses to run. Never excuses not to run. Seriously. But that said, a little external distraction can go a long way. I almost always train with an iPod because the music distracts me from how hard I'm working and makes the time go faster. When I do a training run without music - for example if it's raining and I don't want to soak the iPod - the run really does seem longer. So I would also recommend music or whatever you like to listen to (podcasts, audiobooks, etc.) to accompany your runs. Also...you mentioned running on the treadmill. Even for those of us who love to run, the treadmill can be a real test of one's patience. I would recommend running outdoors if at all possible. Personally, I can do up to about 4 miles on a treadmill if I have enough distractions (music, TV, etc.) and even then I often spend a lot of time playing with the speed controls to keep my mind busy. About the most I can withstand on a treadmill is 7 miles (an hour) - and only if the distractions are top of the line. The same distance outdoors would fly by.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...