Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

952839 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 283 284 285 286 287 ... 315 Previous Next
  • Taz8760 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012

I highly recommend the Jeff Galloway run-walk program for runners over 50 ( and everyone else really).  You will improve times and avoid injuries.  Check it out.  Also the Lolo apps for the program are great!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

B Stover thanks for the advice. when I signed up to run Chicago I estimated my finish time to be 4:20. I used my last 5 HM times and added to them. I'm still pretty confident that if I ran hard all the way and my fueling worked according to plan . I would be close to that time. However since then I had the occasion to meet Jeff Galloway when I was in Orlando. I shared my plans with Jeff. He convinced me to put time goals out of my head and enjoy the race rather than risk injury on this soon to be 60 yr old body. especially since this is my first full. I have sinced changed my plans. I changed my estimated finish time to 4:55. I plan on running slow from miles 1 -20. If all goes well when it's usually time to start slowing down I will pick it up according to how I feel.

my goal is to trust my training , enjoy the race and finish injury free. No matter what my time is.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Taz8760 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012

Good for you. Time is a competitive goal and not a fitness goal. We are all different and we may not be cut out for faster times. Runners pushing themselves for the sake of numbers get injured all too often. Enjoy the run!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Guys, relax. Turning 60 or 65 is not that big a deal. My face has aged ten years in 6 mos but the body's strong, or it will be. Also I had one of my best times during a race I was just running to complete (bc of injury).

Had a good day yesterday so I spent an hour on the tame bike at the gym. By bedtime it felt like someone had kicked me in the kidneys and I'm pretty sure DD replaced all my Percocets w placebos. Now it hurts to breathe so am off to see Dr. Hope.

Great runs to all!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi there mighty and fearless masters!

Still adjusting to the humidity here in N. MN, slow but getting in about 8 miles every other day now in about 1:25:00 the 'best' time yet.  The cows do not seem to mind my running on their turf, haha!!  Just have to dodge what they leave behind, LOL!!  I get frustrated about my time as I have finished a 10 miler race in less than that.  I am really trying to not COMPARE and to stay patient.

I think I may have found a HM event in late August in Bloomington, MN, it's the women's half marathon event. Has anyone run the course???

I ran the ones in Tempe, AZ.  I hope to finish in 1:25:00 or less, really counting on being acclimated by then.  If those cows really want to help .............. haha!! 

I am really staying motivated by all your accomplishments. 

And, riding my harley bike is my other therapy ............

Mary Kay:  sincere condolences on the loss of your mother.

Be safe and run strong everyone!!

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Webpro11: Your training will kick in from the start, and the mental toughness will carry you to the finish line after mile 20!!  I really believe that!!  You have been so disciplined and consistent, and determined in your goal, I have every confidence you will be very surprised and elated by your finish time.  I KNOW I WAS when I ran my first full marathon!!  It all comes down to trusting your training and just enjoying the full impact of a phenomenal event in your life. I am soooo excited for you !!!!!!!!!!! KEEP IT UP!!

Trail runner

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

AZ1414 - you have me confused.  You say your best time recently for 8 mi is 1:25, and then yu say you hope to finish a HM event in 1:25 or less.  I would LOVE to finish a HM I'm nde 2:00.  If under 1:25 is your goal, I am cheering for you all the way!

Webpro11 - I got the same advice when I signed up for my first HM.  A friend with about 30 marathons in his past told me that setting a time goal for your first is just silly.  Enjoy it, just the experience of running it and finishing it.  Such a small percentage of the population ever finish a marathon that the accomplishment of just completing such a feat is enough to achieve that first time.

Chicago sounds like a great event:  a terrific venue for your first.  Be ready for it (as we know you will be) then enjoy it, whatever your finishing time ends up being.

Then you can start working on your time!  Congratulations on being where you are:  we are all eager to hear about your experience.

After running my first full marathon in May, I am training for a half inColumbus this October.  While I am hoping to improve my time (my personal record was 2:10 in Detroit last fall), I am more concerned with my stamina - I usually tire out at around mile 11 or 12.  Not a problem when running a half, but seriously a drag when running a full.

Been using my HRM to keep my heart rate down during my long slow distance runs.  I read that endurance and heart strength improve when training at an appropriate heart rate.  Still waiting for that to happen.

Our group has started to ramp up the distances, and has also started tempo runs, speed intervals, and hill training.  So far so good.

Sunday, we run to the beach.  The distance from our city to the beach at Pt. Stanley is 26+ miles.  The last Sunday of each month (during the summer season), a local running group organizes a run to the beach.  No matter what your training distance is at, participants are invited to join in.  Organizers get volunteers to man water stations along the way, spots are mapped out for the starting points various distances, and everyone is encouraged to start at their chosen starting point and attempt to arrive at the beach at the same time (11:15 AM this Sunday).  We congratulate one another, take group pictures to hang up in our running stores, then go out for breakfast.  I ran 13 miles last year, and there were over 60 of us at the finish.

Doing about 10 mi this Sunday - long slow distance, so will try to keep my pace slow (roughly 12 min / mi).   Really hoping that keeping my HR down for these runs will help me inColumbus. 

Trying to eat right, running 3x a week, working with a personal trainer twice a week - really hoping to whip myself into better shape for the Colimbus race in October.

It's been great reading about all of your experiences, sharing what you've learned, and even hearing about the trials some have had to endure.  Life is fragile, and precious.  Nobody here is wasting it, are we?

Feb 27, 2011

az1414 thanks for the vote of confidence. I needed that!!!! I have 18 on my schedule for Sunday. it is suppose to be super hot with high humidity . I really want to tweak my fueling plan a little. I guess I'll start super early. you might not adjusted to your new home in regards to the climate change. BUT I noticed that Harley seems to be getting more attention since the move. Lol

Rob Thanks for the comments. just curious your HM time was very close to my Jan HM at Disney. What was your finishing time for your first Full. sound like a neat beach run. Something to look forward to. wish I had one in FL.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Tony, you will kill your 18 miler tomorrow! We're all pulling for you and have upmost confidence in you!! Tks for sharing your conversation w/ Galloway. He preaches that in his books, but yet, I find myself falling into the trap of  I really want to run that full in around 5 hrs.

Taz, welcome! I and several others on this thread follow Galloway. It has worked for me!  I may not be the fastest runner, but I sure do enjoy it and knowing that I can run it in segments of 1 min or whatever, makes it manageable.

Rob, good luck on your 10 miler tomorrow! It sounds like it would be losts of fun. I too am curiious as to how your HM time related to your full marathon time.

AZ, stay safe on yourHarley! My SIL laid his down on a slick road last week. Fortunately no injury, but messed the bike up pretty good.

Mary Kay, hope you are feeling better soon....and tell DD to give you back your happy pills

DD & I had an awesome 9 mile trail run today. We took off on new uncharted territory, to be delighted w/ a gorgeous path, some of it was very challenging but we were doing 1:1 run/walk ratios so it was manageable.  We saw deer a cpl of times, close enough to almost pet! We got lost and asked some moountain bikers the way back, either we didn't listen well, or their directions were wrong, anyhow we took off on a trail that was not the right one. Fortunately a bunch of other bikers told us to turn around and directed us back the right direction. We ran into the orignal bikers and one of them was having a hydration issue. He looked really zapped....a young guy! We gave him some of our gatoraide and a handful of jelly beans. We thought it strange that his partner had 2 nearly full bottles of that lemon/lime looking liquid on his bike....so why didn't he insist his friend drink some of his gatoraide?!?!?  We were on the right trail and finished up back at the car, stretched, did leg drains, and stopped by Walmart for a bottle of chocolate milk.....ohhh  was it refreshing!

Time was slow, 2:29:19 but figured this run was equivalent of a flattish HM road race. We'll do this run again, just w/ a map next time!!!

Here is my Garmin report, if you can see it. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/204007557

Happy running all!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

Jul 31, 2011

Marie, Tony...

I have run three halfs at around 2:10 to 2:13:30.  Would love to get under 2:00 - that's my goal for Columbus.

Was not at all concerned about my time for the full in Traverse City.  As always, I tired out before the 13 mi mark, and struggled the rest of the way.  Finish time was 5:22.  I didn't really have a goal time, but expected to come in under 5:00...

This is why I am working so hard on building endurance:  I see no point in training for another full if I can barely finish a half.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

I want to say how much I appreciated all your warm thoughts, gifts of prayer and condolences for my Mother's death. When we were teens, whenever we left the house, she'd say, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do." The irony of this was a constant joke with me and my sibs because we weren't sure there was anything she wouldn't or hadn't already done. She lived a very full life and pushed us to do the same. For that I am thankful.

Unfortunately the surgeon said no running, biking, yoga or anything that involves my core for two weeks. Felt much better on Thurs and knew I had an appt with him on Friday so I tried an hour on the bike at the gym. The pain Friday was so bad he was convinced there was an leak. Of course, I was afraid to tell him I'd been working out. I spent the day getting my first nuclear test. After 4 Percocets, an Aleve, and a little sleep, I feel much better but will not be bouncing back any time soon. Good news is that I barely broke a sweat on the bike where I would have been drenched in 10 min. before. Maybe this will solve some of my breathing and high heart rate problems. Got my fingers crossed. It would be a nice booby prize for the huge setback.

I've really enjoyed admiring all your progress!

Marie - Your training is very organized! I'm impressed and confused. Are you doing the Walk Disney marathon and a HM in January? Which is first? Whatever you are training for, I know you'll conquer it with great success! As far as the bikers, nice of you to care and I might have asked his friend when I noticed the drinks. Sounds like they could have given you the wrong directions intentionally.

Didi- Keep us posted on your progress up to the HM. I love that you didn't ask the distance. BTDT.

Kathy - Again, thanks for your concern! Sorry you are seeing such a difference in your energy level and yes, it is great you are getting out there! I encourage you to investigate rather than chalk it up to one year's aging. I wrote off my drop in energy to aging about ten years ago and then at 58 learned that I had pernicious anemia, a condition that is pretty common and appears after the age of 40 in most cases. I could have been treating it and thriving all that time instead of dragging. 

Welcome Janet! I'm 63, closing in on 70. I love hearing from active folks who are older than me. I always wonder if this injury is going to be the one that stops me and when I hear stories like yours I know the answer doesn't have to be No. Four to five mi. runs in the a.m. in NV is a massive accomplishment! Hope to hear more about your training! I may steal your volunteer idea. Am curious about tris but never considered volunteering.

Rob - honestly, I'm lost when reading metrics but your plan to increase endurance makes good sense. Since you've already completed a full, I would think you've built enough endurance to last through the half or is endurance something you have to maintain constantly? The race to Pt. Stanley sounds like great fun! I just missed one that was based on a similar staggered start. :-(  You are so right about life being fragile and precious! Are you running Chicago or Columbus? Columbus is a bit of a trip from Canada, eh? I'll be there also.

Dan - Great times and great runs!! Keep it up!

Ray - Good luck with your training and remember to breathe, no matter how much you want to hold your breath. Your plan sounds solid. If you stick to it, you should do well and pass this milestone. Run fearless!

Tony - You are doing awesome with your runs! You'll do so well in your marathon!! I envy your marathon!! I do not envy you the heat of FL, though.

Run fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jul 31, 2011

Hi Mary,

Wow, with all that's going on with you right now, you're sneaking around behind the surgeon's back exercising!  You are dedicated:  real hard core!!  Good for you!

I have tried to "translate" our awkward Canadian metric measurements when I post here - there are some great online converters.  Unfortunately, it's not really convenient moving back and forth between different pages while composing a post while using an iPad.   iPads are great toys, but they can be pretty inflexible in the way they work.  Sometimes, when I go to another page to convert a km pace to miles, when I come back to my thread posting, the page refreshes and I have to start composing the post all over again.  A real pain!

As far as my endurance is concerned, I almost always burn out at about 11 or 12 miles into a run.  While running a half, this means I have to dig deep to finish, but only for a mile or two.  No problem.

Imagine though, burning out half way through a race, and having to force yourself to run another 2.5 hours!   That's the battle I am fighting as I train this year.  I expect to be tired at the end of my half (yes, in Columbus), but I want to know that, with longer training distances, I'll be able to actually run a marathon without feeling done in at just the halfway point.

I don't expect a marathon (or even a half) to be a walk in the park.  If it were that easy, I'd just run harder.  I just want to be able to complete them without walking across the finish line.  I want to compete, even if I'm just competing against myself.  And I want to improve, ever so slightly, with each  training season.

Maybe, at age 58, that's asking too much.  However, reading this thread makes me think I have a few years of good running left in me.

Anyone else find it hard to keep motivated to make the time for all the training?  I find it challenging, working full-time, getting up early each day, maintaining a stretching program, running three days a week, training at the gym with a trainer - it takes a lot of discipline...

Yes, I know you'll be in Columbus thus fall - wonder if we could meet for a victory beer or something?  I'm in London, Ontario.  Just two hours' drive to Detroit.  If our running group has enough interest, we'll do a bus trip, like we did for Traverse City in May.  Columbus is closer to us than Chicago - maybe a 4.5 to 5 hr bus ride.

Feb 27, 2011

Well I did it and outsmarted our Florida heat and humidity at the same time. 19 miles  3:50:03. I set the alarm for 3am. Drank Hammer perpetuem in 16oz of water for breakfast with a cup of coffee? Left the house at 4am lit up like a Christmas tree. took a Hammer gel pack at miles 5 & 9. washed it down with heed. At miles 13 & 15 I chewed 2 perpetuem solids washed down with heed. I miscalculated my run. that's how I ended up doing 19 instead of my scheduled 18. feel pretty good. especially after a cold show followed by Hammer Recoverite . put on my cep recovery socks and it was only 8:30.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Just finished my 1st week of training. Final run was supposed to be a 6 miler, but wife and son are doing the SF marathon, so I was just running and it ended up being 7.25mol.  Time was slow, but did both hyde st and telegraph hills. Achilles is holding up, so life is good.  Next weekend have a 5k to see where i'm at.

Pinoy, hope marathon went well for you.  Gotta like that SF weather - 63f @ 8am

Mary Kay- a liitle stress is good, too much can be hazardous.  Be careful.

Webpro - come to SF, you'll be able to get some sleep.  And if you really miss the heat, you can visit San Jose...sorry, won't be able to replicate the humidity...

Run strong everyone!

Ray

• FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011

Wow Webpro!  Congratulations!  3:30 in the morning!

I did a verrrry slow 5k distance at 8.30 this morning in West Palm Beach and was glad to finish just short of heat exhaustion.  During this summer heat and humidity I am sticking to 2-3 mile slow jogs until the cooler weather returns!

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...