Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1017870 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 282 283 284 285 286 ... 315 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Rob, these are not easy words you write and I admire your guts in putting them out there. They are so true!

Dan, I have an injury for each of too much, too fast and too soon and nearly lost the chance to race after training six months. It was the worst feeling in the world. I could not be consoled by the fact that I could run a race a month later. And that was my first HM, not a full. My mother just died. She was thrilled that I was running so I will be running my next HM for her but I can't say for sure which one it will be. I started training a week ago for my first HM of the season, on Sept. 29th, but as life would have it, my gall bladder had to act up. Had the thing removed in ER surgery Friday and am not allowed to do anything involving my core for at least a week, probably two. So, it looks like the Sept race most likely won't happen but I'll be in Columbus in October and Philly in November. I know from training for these once already that my body needs an extra week for every three weeks a normal aged body trains or the stress will become an injury. Good luck to you!

Cool runnings all.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Mary Kay, When I hadn't seen a post from you in a week, I could only imagine what you were dealing with.  My sincere sympathy as you mourn the passing of your Mother.  I'm sure she was not only proud of your running, but in your fearless spirit.  Such a difficult time for you, and then to undergo surgey -- bless your heart.  You are in my prayers as you deal with all of this.  Now is the time to rest body and soul, training and races will have their time again when you are ready. 

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Mary Kay, my deepest sympathy in the passing of your Mother. May you find peace, comfort and strength to face the days ahead. Bless you heart too in the unexpected surgery. Perhaps this will be the end of your troubles and you can move forward from here. Speedy recovery, but don't push too hard.

As  mentioned, and I have found it true as well, too much, too soon, too fast is the reason for most injuries. As we age, this becomes even more true. Unfortunately, I've found that I'm cruising along, pushing myself, thinking I'm avoiding the injury cart, and BAM! there it is.  Set back 2-4-6 or more weeks. I'm trying to be wiser....after all I am older!

Pinoy, congrats on your multiple marathons. Wow, you are a stellar example of what can be done as a "senior citizen".

Kim, I loved the story about being followed by some man in a white car.  But thank goodness for ppl who will look out for us runners.....in this day and age, you never know what danger is lurking out there.

Tony, I just picked up a camelpak, got a great deal on it and thought it would be handy on my really long runs.

Oldohioron.....I think of you as old iron ron.....for somereason, everytime I see your name, that is the way I read it!  So, I dub you our iron man of the group.

I got my 45 min run in this morning. We've had guite a bit of evening rain/storms, so it is muggy in the morning. I'm grateful for the rain, as I know some of you all are deperately dry.

Happy running everyone.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,248. Jul 23, 2012 11:46 AM (in response to mkayc)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Mary Kay. I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. I pray that God will bring you comfort and peace.

I am also sorry about your recent gallbladder surgery! Talk about a double whammy. Take care of yourself and do not rush the return to running. Running will always be there.

You are doing great and will be ready for your next HM.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Marie! It looks like you are doing great with your runs! Congrats on the 1st place finish in your personal 5K!! I loved that!!! LOL

WebPro! You are doing great with your Marathon training! You are going to kill it!

AzAz - sorry about your friend.

Nan, Deb, Rob, Dan, Steve and everyone else............great job with all of your runs and events!!!

Sorry, I have not been around much but work and home are both crazy! Just not enough hours in the day it seems.

Still running, still enjoying it, but can tell that I am closing in on 60! LOL  I sure can tell a difference this year vs. last year. I seem to have alot more aches and pains and I seem to need more recovery than I used to. Oh well, I am still out there and still running! I cannot ask for much more than that.

Happy running everyone!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

I missed some ppl in my earlier post.

Bill, glad to hear the boot is giving you some more flexibilty.  Do keep your spirits up. Healing will come and soon you will be back out on the roads.

Rutrunner, sorry to hear about the toe.  Did you hurt the sofa? I jest, but I know hitting, possibly breaking those small toes can be mighty painful. Can you tape it and still run?

Joni, Your time for 10 miles is nothing to sneeze at! Several of the big name coaches say you cannot run the long runs too slow. Esp in the brutal heat!

Steve, Glad to hear you are spending some quality time w/ the family and enjoying the cooler weather and different terrain from your usual. Keep us posted re the grandbaby....we await pics as soon as he arrives.

Dan, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I know you want to do something special to honor him. As far as running a marathon....go for it! As long as you keep in mind to not overdo. It sounds like you have the mileage under your belt now to run a half, so ramping up to a full in Nov. shouldn't be too much too soon. You should be able to ck out various training plans and pick up midways in one that suits your style. If your goal is to "finish" you should have no problem....If you want to race all out, that may be a different story.

Hi Kathy! We've missed you!!

I don't run a lot of races. I love running for thesake of running, plus they can run into a lot of $$$. My daughter and I are saving up to do the biggie at Disney,  I do try to run one quality, pretty much all out at "race pace" run per week. I know it isn't the same thing as being surrounded by lots of other runners and the excitement of a race, but it works for me.  I've run one 10K this spring, will run another next month and a half in Oct. Those will give me additional options for qualifying times for WDWM.  The 10K's I'll race and hope to improve my time. The half, I'll moderate my pace as I don't want to risk injury, but I still should be able to improve on my HM Race time (took a bunch of photos w/ characters  @ WDW last yr). My approach to the Goofy this yr..... survive!  I'm following Jeff Galloway marathon program w/ some modifiactions. I'll add a semi-long run in October to get used to the back to back HM & full marathon.

If I've still missed anyone....I'm sorry.....blame it on my age.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• DiDi55 Pro 120 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010

MARYKAY:  Sorry to read about the passing of your mom. Keep the memories of her alive. In the days to come; it does bring comfort.

MARIE: Love your game plan....SURVIVE! You'll do awesome. How fun to do the Disney Race with your daughter and Mickey and Minnie and Goofy &......

URUN & TONY:  You both are putting in the miles. Congrats! In training for my Half in September; I am elated with 13.1; any more than that seems impossible. Then I read what folks are doing....very impressive!

KATHY:  I am not far behind you in closing in on 60.  However; like you said; we're (& so many on here) are still giving it our best effort & kickin' it!

DEBBIE:  Your sons must be very proud of mom!

PHYLLIS: You continue to amaze me! You go girl!

I will be signing up for a race in August. Forgot to ask my brother how many miles it is (there goes that age thing again!) So looking forward to that. In the meantime; just getting out there as much as I can so I am ready for the HM!

Enjoy reading what EVERYONE has to say. If I don't take notes; it is hard to comment on what everyone has to say!

Either you run the day or the day runs you!  Jim Rohn

Started Running August 2008

5 mile race/May 2010 59:00

5 mile race/July 2010 62:00

Half Marathon/September 2010 2:45

5 mile race/May 2011 63:00

Half Marathon 09/24/2011 2:53

5k 03/31/2012 43:00

5k 06/09/2012 41:39.5

If your tired of starting over; stop giving up!

• Rutrunner Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 17, 2012

Great to read everyones posts, accomplishments, frustrations.

Rob - Your advice about taking it easy on the running by not going to fast too soon was very interesting and worth keeping in mind.

KimKnap - Your run through the historic district sounded so nice.  Love history - especially the trails (Ca., Santa Fe, Chishom).  That's why I am rutrunner - wagon ruts. Used to live in McIntosh,Fl.  No ruts there.  Good luck on your training for the Denver marathon.  That sounds awesome!

PaintingLady.  Didn't have to tape the toe.  I ran on the treadmill this morning and it didn't bother me a bit.  I even forgot about it.  The sofa leg is still holding up the sofa.  I've done that more than once!!

Runslowdan - It is nice you are running for your brother.  Bless him!  I pinned my son's picture underneath my number the last 4 times I ran.  He is stationed in Afghanistan and loves to run but can't at this time.

Have a great running week.

Rutrunner-Jan

Rutrunner

• Dance Fever Mrs Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011

Hello to you all,

Have been having trouble accessing conversations, but think I have the right format this time.

I'm Janet in Henderson, Nv. After a 10 yr span away from running, I started getting serious

about running again 3 yrs ago. I have been limiting myself to 5k's and Senior Olympic

track and field events, doing the 400, 800 and 1500meter.

Kinda hot here now hitting 107 in the late afternoons, so I run at 6am and do 4-5 miles

at a comfortable pace on an asphalt bike/running path.  Hard to get onto H.S. tracks due to increased security during school hours, and they lock the gates after that.

I also have a great gym in my community and have access to treadmills, an indoor track, weights and

great aerobic classes.

I won't be running any races till Oct. when the temps are more bearable.

I will be volunteering to help knock down bike racks after an upcoming Sept. triathlon in our area.

Hope to get to know you all a bit better with continued posts.

Are there any other senior ladies here in their seventies?

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

Jan - easy enough to advise someone to take it slow.  Not so easy when someone tells ME to do so!

Mary - it must be a tough time for you.  I'm 58 years old and have never lost anyone close to me, so I can't imagine how you're feeling.  My condolences.

Dan - hope I didn't speak out of turn, or too loudly.  As I said, it wasn't supposed to be an expert opinion, but I've seen too many folks get hurt and sidelined from biting off more than they could chew (including myself on more than one occasion).

Since my marathon in late May, I have been running all of my runs at a reduced heart rate.  My pace at that rate increased for a bit, but has settled in at about 7:10 to 7:15 mins per km.  Compare that to my 5 km race pace of about 6:00 min / km and you see quite a difference.  Not sure if that's a concern, but some of the reading I've done suggests that the difference between your race pace and aerobic (85% of MHR) pace should be about 20-25 seconds / km.  Hmm, maybe if I compared it with my half-marathon race pace, I'd be in a better position!

Started interval speed work last week.  Did three 800m intervals at 4:55 mins / km.  Our instructors emphasize the goal during these intervals of being consistent.  My intervals were all within 5 seconds of each other.

This week, tempo run on Tuesday night, then hill training Thursday.  These folks always seem to find the worst hills imaginable, and we sweat our way up and down, over and over again. 

Did I ever mention that runners are nuts?

Happy to share that with all of you!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Rob-  I very much appreciate your advice.  What you and Tony said made a lot of sense.  I would say I'm about 80% on the side of the HM on 10/21.  I plan to continue to gradually extend my long slow run on the weekend and see how I feel.  planning on 14-15 this weekend, if the weather allows. 

Mary Kay- I am so sorry; it was harder than I thought it would be, even though we know my Mom was fading last winter.  It is never easy.  Prayers are with you.

Janet-welcome! you will find lots of cameraderie and support here.  Be careful in that heat!

Ran 4 miles today with 3 minutes harder running, about 8:30-9:30 alternating with 1 minute walk.  unfortunately, too humid for any sweat to evaporate and cool me off!  PTL, we have gotten rain in our area of WI several times in the last week, so there is some hope for local crops to not be a total loss.

Run strong, run safe!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

I'm going to forget some people and I apologize ahead of time for that.

Phyllis - you're amazing - I can only hope I'm still moving 35 years from now - Senior Olympics! Way cool!

AZ1414 - my condolences - those decisions are never easy. 

Mary Kay - wow, I'm so sorry.  I no longer feel bad about my luck.  My Mom passed on almost 9 years ago now and it still affects me.  We just need to remember the good times that people bring us.

Marie - maybe I got "chicked" - altho I did beat her by almost 24 seconds.  Still a reminder to know your course, if I had I might have out sprinted her as well as beat the 3rd place 30-34 year old woman - maybe not tho.  As it was, I got "chicked" by about 22 women including a 10 year old!  I still gotta ask, how come when I race myself I always end up last ;-)

Dance Fever - don't know about 70's, but definitely 80's - Phyllis is 87 years young!

Rutrunner - good to hear the toe wasn't too bad.  It's the nagging injuries that some times derails us.

Everyone else, welcome to you new people, great job running for everyone else that's been here awhile.

Started a 10K training program (8 weeks) today.  I've hit the danger zone for me (25 miles last week, halfway there this).  Gotta remember to do my achilles stretches and strengthing and proceed with caution.  Checking out my workout times from just before my initial achilles injury (right side Jul 4 last year), I'm just now starting to hit the times I did back then.  Had some good workouts this weekend/week  2 miles in 15:19, 3 miles in 23:52, 6.5 slow miles yesterday and then 30 minute tempo run today.  It's been sort of warm here, Saturday mid 90's, high 80's Sunday and low 80's the last 2 days.  The plan calls for 6x400meter intervals tomorrow, but the HS is 2-3 miles from work and driving feels like cheating.  May just end up walking 5 miles, we'll see.

Run strong everyone!

Ray

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Dyykjt1 Glad to hear your still running. I Hear you loud and clear about closing in on 60. your preaching to the choir. Lol

Dancefevermrs Welcome. Look forward to reading and sharing your journey.

Marykay So sorry about your loss and your medical setback. I know your the type of person that will come back stronger. hang in there.

I ran 6 miles tonight at 9pm 40 minutes after sunset. It was 83 degrees with 84 % humidity when I started.

I finished in 59:06. felt like I was drenched with a fire hose. hammer Heed kept me in the game. now I want to eat the refrigerator. But I decided to have a lite beer and a slice of pizza instead. the lesser of two evils!!!!!

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• B Stover Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2008

All the best on your first full marathon this fall, Tony from Florida!  If you train for it, and make yourself start out slow, you'll no doubt have a successful race.  Above all though, don't beat yourself up if your time doesn't meet your hopes and expectations.  Just grind it out, push through the wall, and finish.  The first one can be an eye opener. 

While I have been running most of my life over the last 40 years, I've only been testing the long distances (marathons and halfs)  for the last three years.  Marathons are something everyone should do at least once, but I hope you find the distance that you really "enjoy" and have fun with that.  For me the half suits this 58 year old body well:  long enough to be challenging, but short enough that I always know that I can keep running til the end.  And the training doesn't keep from having a life outside of running.

I've been having a blast these past several years, seeing that the 50+ knees, lungs and heart respond very well to a regular regimen of training runs.  I thought my legs would rebel (after one ankle and two knee surgeries), but they are happy and more pain free than ever.  Times aren't important; listening to your body and having fun is. 

• Taz8760 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012

I highly recommend the Jeff Galloway run-walk program for runners over 50 ( and everyone else really).  You will improve times and avoid injuries.  Check it out.  Also the Lolo apps for the program are great!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...