Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1815 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 9:56 PM by crl8686 RSS
Momrocs Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2012 8:42 AM

Newbie with several questions

I actually did week one three weeks ago.  Went on vacation and decided to start again with my 14 year old daughter.  She wants to do the Color me Rad run!  While neigher of us are runners, we're going to try out best!

I can't seem to get my breathing regulated (141 lbs 47 years old).  I can last about 45 seconds of the 60 second run,  I feel like if I run any slower I'd be walking! Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I started the My Fitness Pal (which is where I found out about C25K).  My counter says I should eat 1200 calories a day.  If I go to the Y I usually add an additional 350 - 500 calories.  Do i need to stay at the 1200 or match what my allotment is for the day after I work out and add those additional calories?  I want to lose another 10 - 15 pounds.  The My Fitness Pal has been a great learning tool for me.  I was a carb o holic! LOL

Thanks everyone!

Karen

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    1. Jul 26, 2012 7:06 PM (in response to Momrocs)

I'm no expert , but I'd recommend that you go slower, even if it feels like you are shuffling along.  Also, breath in deeply using your mouth and nose every 2-3 steps.  Above all, keep it up!  Week one means you probably aren't all that active yet.  As you progress through the weeks, your stamina will increase and you will find yourself doing great!  Good luck!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• julezstephan Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 19, 2012
    2. Jul 26, 2012 11:16 PM (in response to Momrocs)

I use Fitness Pal as well and if you can only eat 1200 (that seems low) and excerise you add the calories you burned to your intake. So if you burn 500 calories you add that to the 1200 so now you can eat 1700.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Jul 27, 2012 1:34 PM (in response to Momrocs)

Hi Karen,

Sometimes intense exercise can actually cause our bodies to crave carbs, which is normal, but it is better to choose complex carbs mixed with quality protein and health fats because those work better in combination. 

I am not familiar with the particular diet plan that you are following, but I would caution against trying to add additional calories based on estimates of what you are utilizing in training.  Basically, that would just equal out (or potentially negate the benefits), so weight would maintain instead of decreasing. 

Honestly, it is an old trap that many of us fall victim to...I call mine the "run-reward syndrome" where I initially thought it was okay to consume more on LR or race days.  I actually gained weight because I thought my calories were "covered" and they were not.  I hope this makes sense.  The point is that the mind-set of adding additional food/drink due to physical activity is counterproductive to weight loss.  It is a good plan for the future following intense work-outs of at least 1.5 hours, for example. 

1200 calories does not sound unreasonable, but everyone is different and certainly the type, level and overall time commitment of training has an influence.

Regarding your breathing, certainly try the walk/run/jog combination and your endurance will develop.  It is okay to move slow, rest and start up again when you feel a bit rested.  I think many of us started out with this method. 

Wishing you all the best and it is wonderful to hear that training with your daughter. 

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Jul 27, 2012 9:56 PM (in response to Momrocs)

You mention that "you can't get your breathing regulated", which usually means that you're going a bit too fast for your current fitness level. Try slowing down a little - perhaps by 10 or 15 sec/mile - the odds are good that will make a difference. Also if your route includes hills, moving to flat ground will help at this stage.

You're in the second week of C25K, which is very early. Improving your aerobic conditioning will indeed happen, but it takes time and patience. Stick with it and you should see improvement week by week.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points