Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

700042 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 235 236 237 238 239 ... 327 Previous Next
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,540. Jul 27, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Speed workout at the "oval torture chamber" (I love that name.) this afternoon. It was warm - 82 degrees, but a slight wind and somewhat drier than lately.

1 1/2 mi warmup jog.

3 sets of 4 x 400 with 200 recoveries (jogged a couple, walked most of the recoveries) @ 1:28 - 1:32 timing. Walk 400 between sets.

1 mi. cooldown jog.

Enjoy the weekend, runners.    We have our 3-yr old grandson tonight and tomorrow, so Saturday workout may not happen. But I'll take that trade for sure.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,541. Jul 28, 2012 12:26 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 1 hr 2 min. Went to Bele Chere festival and listened to Papa Grows Funk. There will be a party all weekend in Asheville. belecherefestival.com

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,542. Jul 28, 2012 10:06 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - Wish I were there.

jmsab - And anyone else having problems with mapping: USA Track and Field http://www.usatf.org/routes/ has a system I find smoother and more intuitive than mapmyrun.

Cologne/Smelly stuff. Not real big around Denver, and DEFINITELY not in Boulder. There's a certain demographic that wears Axe by the quart, but we don't see them on the trails. Or during daylight at all, really.

Diet/Weight loss - Like JosephTree and bare feet, I preach nutrition rather than weight. I'm small framed, and at my current weight of 136, I am thin. I WAS 185, and on my frame that was rather... portly. Losing weight for me was not as hard as it is for many, if not most, people. I know how fortunate I am to be genetically thin, and I point fingers at no one.

After my half marathon adventure, I took 2 rest days Monday and Tuesday. I got out early Wednesday for a 10 miler. I felt OK physically, but I was nowhere near human mentally. I had good pace (9:33) and negative splits.

Thursday I woke up exhausted. The half really beat me up. There ARE consequences to running hard, and at 48 they are a little longer lasting.Rested Thursday and Friday; some stretching and yoga today, and back on the trail tomorrow for 15-17 miles or so.

And Mrs. Coyote wants me to tell you all that the "Oval Torture Chamber" was her line, before I lifted it.

Free and fearlessly!

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    3,543. Jul 28, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

old coyote - haha about the demographic wearing axe by the quart and not being up.

oval torture chamber - agreed. i also heard about some 100mile run where they do a 1 mile loop 100 times; yuck!

did my usual 5mil train run today, shaved another 30sec off my time 44:07; then did 2 insanity workouts!

also ordered new trail shoes...cant wait!

cheerio

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

Oct 10, 2011
    3,544. Jul 28, 2012 11:31 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

mmm sweet potato.

melody - so what was your html hack to adding a pic?

debm - i hear yoga can be a real good workout; ill have to try it.

PRs:

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,545. Jul 28, 2012 12:57 PM (in response to AlfNiner)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

NHLA Thats crazy about the perfume, but I can see that happening in your neck of the woods!  I had an "older" (70ish) horse back riding buddy who used to show up fully decked to the nines to ride. Nails done, false eyelashes, hair done. She was so cute. Now she lives in Sante Fe, and probably walks her dogs, well perfumed!

JosephTree No worries. You are lucky to be able to go barefoot. I wish I could, because I see all the logic in it. At least I have never been a heel to toe runner, so I've saved some pounding over the years.

Snerb I'm glad the leg cramp has subsided.

OshCat Good job on your 3  weekday runs! I hope you get that long run in tomorrow.

Old Coyote You're my hero. That IS funny about the Axe by the quart and not seeing them in daylight! Rest up, my friend.

AlfNiner Re: HTML hack. Replace this: ' with this: " and use the html option when you post. So it will look like 'img src='html://yourlink'. (remember to replace this' with ") You also have to "host" the image else where like Flicker or PhotoBucket

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,546. Jul 28, 2012 2:55 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Dear Road and Trail Warriors, I have been on an alternate journey the last two weeks and was hoping to have something to post soon but that wasn't in the cards.

Two weeks ago Monday, traveling home from N. OH, I had breathtaking pain in my mid section and 90 mi. to go. Pulled over at a rest stop at 60 mi and thought I could drive after relief and an hour's rest but it came right back. Like when running, I took an inventory and decided I was not in immediate danger but would instantly be if it got any worse and then started ticking off my options and really didn't have any other than calling an ambulance. This scared me but I noticed I had traveled 15 mi and was only 45 mi out. I thought, I can keep my brain occupied with bitching for 45 min; I can do this. I just have to drive carefully. I curled around the steering wheel and made it and attribute that mostly to mental tricks I've learned from running. Pain went away but came back. Friday morning had an ultrasound. I was in tears as she poked me for about 20 min. She said, We'll have the results in a couple of days. I'm thinking, Oh, no, I am not living with this a couple of days. Checked myself into the ER. They of course had the results of the ultrasound in their hands and I had morphine in less than 30 min. That evening, I awoke to day 1 without a gallbladder to hear the nurse tell someone on the phone, "I don't think it's a good idea to relay that message right now." I knew instantly it was DD calling to say Mom had died. Don't know what the nurse was thinking. When better to hand out bad news than when your patient is numb with anesthesia? On Saturday the surgeon said: No running, biking, elliptical, driving, and no exercise that stretches your core for two weeks. You can walk. Oh, and no high-fat foods like ice cream, my go-to comfort food. Barely survived a highly stressful week with family and travel.

Thursday was a feel-good day so I took to a bike at the gym for an hour, figuring it would be the least stressful. Friday, the pain was back almost as bad as before procedure so bouncing back quickly is off the menu. This will be a huge setback but I'm hoping it will have cured my breathing problems. I barely broke a sweat on the bike and before i would have been drenched in 10 min. It would be nice if this saga had a happy ending.

I've been admiring all your hard work and huge accomplishments

Deb - Your runs are progressing nicely and yes, every long run should have an a/c pit stop toward the end. Someone here found a beer walk-in that is big enough to lap and calculated the laps/mi. Then, this is Cincinnati. Glad you enjoyed Yoga! The stretching is great and it helps a lot with breathing.

NHLA - Your runs vary so much in distance. Is there a method to your plan? Did you know that run would take over 4 hours? Little Old lady perfume - throw it out!!

C.K. Lindsay - I can see you coughing and laughing. There's a whole community of folks here who prefer triathalons to running races. I may give it a try soon, also. It sounds fun!

Dan - You are clocking some great runs! Looking for my own *Big Louie*. Ha!

Linuscatch - After running 14 mi., 4 mi. and working out at the gym, you tried running hills and wondered why the second half of the effort was hard? I would assume that three days in a row was the largest contributor along with the new extra workout. It's just a blip. Your attitude is great! You're working that track and sound so ready!

jmsab23 - Congratulations on the great face results!! You can figure about a minute delay when you start behind 11 rows of people. Your runs are getting quite long, also. That's great work!

JDCarnes - Keep posting your progress.

Snerb - Glad you are enjoying your Brooks and the opportunity to run with your son! Glad your cramp is working its way out. Thought you were going to tell us you stumbled on a dead body in the woods with the odor report.

NanaShip - 5 mi in 54 min. is plenty fast in my book! Glad Jasper wasn't hurt. I get mighty nervous when I encounter a dog that is not on a leash while running.

Oshcat - Those are some great runs you've completed! Hope you were able to fit that Sunday run in.

JoshuaTree - I love my stick but find that ice baths work best. I'll use the stick after one if there's still work to be done. I don't know if I'd jump into the Surekill, though. How did that 10 mi trail race go? I have one coming at the end of Sept. and will be very surprised if I can make it.

MelodyLea - Love the idea of using sweet potato in your smoothie!! You are so fierce! Three days in a row after a 10 mi. run is awesome!  My fav Hammer gels are Vanilla (reminds me of ice cream) and Tropical (has caffeine). I had a chocolate sample one day and threw most of it out. The taste wasn't "bad"; it was just too potent for the moment. It might have been a good sundae topping. The expresso or whatever the coffee flavor wasn't bad, either. Hammer has a nice mild taste; GU is way too sweet for me.

OldCoyote - Nice of you to give Mrs. her props on the oval torture chamber! Your response following the HM is normal, not necessarily age related - particularly at 48 yr. old. It's very common to lose interest in running for at least a week and feel drained. Many folks get the flu a week after. You'll bounce back eventually. And, btw, how does being 48 qualify you to be "Old"? You're barely middle aged.

NRDgirl - Your training is progressing really well!! Keep us posted. You are fearless!! I would think that running hills would be good training for any race, even a relatively flat one.  Also, I've learned one person's flat is not necessarily flat. Hope that Garmin comes back working like new!

Apeppel - Great race strategy! I'll be borrowing that. Awesome time!!!

Alfniner - Those are some great runs and times you are recording. Keep it up!! New trail shoes? Fun!!

Az1414 - Reading about your love of trails is making me itch to get on one. this *no running* is still driving me crazy! Think I'll take a hike. Running in the humid gets easier after about a week. it's just really miserable during the adjustment. You are so right that the finish gives you a great sense of accomplishment. Hope you can find some comfort from the uprooting in your runs.

Tony - I too need to fuel better for long runs and will add Heed with my Hammer gels. Thanks!!

Run strong and fearless for me while I chomp at my bit?

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,547. Jul 28, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to mkayc)

Wow. Mary Kay...what a week!!! I am so sorry to hear about your mom and about all the pain you just went through with the Gall Bladder. It sounds so frightening having that attack while you were far from home. Heal up and remember we are here for you, (((Hugs)))

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,548. Jul 28, 2012 4:40 PM (in response to mkayc)

MaryKay - HUGS to you.  I can't imagine how horrible that week was.  Just focus on healing (physically and emotionally)  and you'll come back stronger than ever.

I can almost "get" someone putting on their favorite scent while walking the dogs or riding a horse (although please tone it down for the rest of us) - but last summer I got into the pool at the Y for water aerobics and  one of the women in that class was wearing perfume.   ewwww

Mrs. Coyote is very clever - thanks for giving her credit

5 miles yesterday.  I passed a few turtles, but the penguins were still up ahead of me. 

Today was water aerobics (no perfume this morning thank goodness!) and then weight lifting.  long run tomorrow.  I hope the rains are done by morning. 

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    3,549. Jul 28, 2012 4:46 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Had a good run of over 8.5 hilly miles this morning. Weather was great. Went out slow but came back a little faster. I feel like I'm back on track. Hope to keep it up next week.

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    3,550. Jul 28, 2012 5:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

MaryKay hope things smooth out for you. keep on keeping on, girl!

For those who were wondering: I work as a Bartender on a cruise ship. It's hard work and sucks for training. Just when I get into a groove with my schedule they'll change it on me. (ok so one time it was me forcing them to change it, but details, details) I almost quit this week (probably for the third time this contract). I'm getting near the end of my time here, less than 2 weeks to go and I think one more rotation and that's it. I just was ridiculously homesick despite being relatively happy. And to answer the common questions:, No, we don't get days off, we work five months on and five weeks off (or for me 23 weeks on 6 weeks off this time) 7 days a week.  We do sleep on board, no our rooms are not as big as yours and we share them with at least two other people, unless we are officers. We have an employee cafeteria, the crew mess, it is what it says it is, yuck.

Last week I got a run in on Monday before safety training, 45 mins, 3.25 miles. Then I swam wednesday, 1.2 miles. it took a little over an hour this time, we stopped for longer than usual at the turn around point and chatted. I was going to run thursday but we had a meeting scheduled and I had to restock, the meeting got cancelled and rescheduled for friday so I missed that run all together... blah! Today I did my long EXTREMELY slow run 6 miles 1:41. I forgot to pick up more GU packs so I was without fuel and I really felt it. Went all the way from the pier in Honolulu to Waikiki, and I'm wondering if the Wyland boat I saw in the harbor is owned by the painter. nifty if so,

stopped at Dairy queen after my run, had a chili cheese dog, soda and a mini blizzard... and I wonder why I have a few extra pounds... also stopped at the pet store to ogle the puppies, I miss my dog so much!

Keep pushin it, ya'll!

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,551. Jul 28, 2012 10:46 PM (in response to mkayc)

6.4 miles 43 min. 22 down and 21 back up Ecco Mt.

Went to Bele Chere and a toppless woman walked right by me.

I had no idea that trail run would take that long. I had no idea where I was going or the 2500' climb. I just wasn't going to stop till I got to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

My runs are varying now because I am training for  Blue Ridge Relay. I am running to the top of Ecco Mt from three different directions trying to hold a 8:30 pace. Don't care about distance just pace on mts.

MK: Sorry about your mom. Hope you get well soon.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,552. Jul 29, 2012 9:23 AM (in response to NHLA)

Went out on a planned 7 miles.  Kept changing my route and ended up with 8.27.  Except for the humidity (which was absolutely brutal) it would have been a great run.  I went out without the interval timer and ran by feel.  I still needed walk breaks but not quite as many (until that last mile or so). Lots of stretching and foam roller after.   Forward progress - no matter how small -  is good. 

Run fearless everyone. 

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,553. Jul 29, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Debm2011  An extra 1.27 miles that wasn't planned. With high humidity. Give yourself more credit. sounds like that was a great run especially without your time.

CK Lindsay Can't imagine how you find time to train working on a cruise ship. we cruise often and that's a tough job. sounds like your at the end of your contract. You'll be rearing to go after a little much needed R&R.

NHLA. 2500 ft climb that would make this FL guy who trains at sea level have nightmares. way to go.

I was thinking about doing the Ragnar 199 mile relay in Jan from Miami to Key West. is the blue ridge event your running a Ragnar race ?

melody Lea   wow Can you imagine what all this training is doing for your endurance. your going to kill it at your first Half Marathon. great Progress

As for me reached a milestone this morning . Had a scheduled 18 mile run. So I got up at 3am. left the house lit up like a Christmas tree at 4am to beat the brutal FL heat & Humidity. my Hammer fueling plan worked great. I just need to make a few small tweaks. ended up running 19 miles because I miscalculated my run plan. I feel pretty good. A little muscle sorenesss. nothing my foam roller can't handle.

Does anyone have any comments on Brooks ghost ???

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Oct 10, 2011
    3,554. Jul 29, 2012 10:22 AM (in response to mkayc)

mkayc - wow; what a week is right! but it's obvious you have a strong spirit; you will overcome. 

I also just noticed your post since i logged on, but it had not been forwarded to my email yesterday. bummer about that active glitch. I know i dont log on frequently enough to reply to all, but not getting some posts makes it worse.

just did my 10mi trail run; 1300' gain, 1hr40m, shaved 7min from two weeks ago (mainly due to fewer stops and shorter stay at top), but some surely due to feeling great and tearing it up!

NHLA - topless woman? and i thought the perfume would be distracting...

cklindsay - your job sounds like lots of fun, but i know it's a lot of work for all you workers; carpe diem when you hit the pavement!

melody - so let me get this straight, i replace this with that or was it here with there, or could it be a goat on a boat?

coffee and donut time, then more coffee!

PRs:

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...