Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1980 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2012 8:45 AM by runningangelinvt
TexasPumpkin Amateur 10 posts since
Apr 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 29, 2012 3:01 PM

Marathon Training

I am 50 years old, and have been running sporadically for the past 2 years.  I have completed numerous 5k's and a couple of 10k's.   My sister-in-law has completed 2 marathons and we set a goal to do a marathon in December.  Now, we have joined a group that wants to do a marathon in November, a full month earlier than originally planned.  This group of folks are far more advanced than myself, which is fine, I don't care about competing with them time wise, but after this last week of training, I am wondering about my sanity.

Before last Sunday, we were running 3 mile runs 3 days a week.  Last Sunday I bumped to 4.3 when they bumped to 6.  We rested on Monday.  On Tuesday and Wednesday we did 3 miles.  Thursday we did 5.  Rested Friday.  6 miles Saturday and a 6.36 trail run on Sunday with strides after.  They are wanting to run tomorrow morning, 3 miles.  I still haven't decided yet.  Our run coach said to take the day off if we felt like we needed it.  I am hurting and sore all over.  Our training plan the rest of the week is track work on Tuesday. Wednesday 4-5 miles easy.  Thursday 3-4 with 4-6 strides after run.  Friday off.  Saturday 9 miles.  Take Sunday off.  Am I just being a baby and need to suck it up and run 3 tomorrow, or rest and hit the track refreshed on Tuesday am.

Please help.  We are supposed to run at 5:45 tomorrow morning, so time is of the essence here. LOL  Thanks all

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    1. Jul 29, 2012 4:00 PM (in response to TexasPumpkin)
    Marathon Training

Hi, Texas

My brother, who has been running for decades, told me to figure out what my goals (in running) are, and I consider that one of the two best pieces of advice I received.

If you want to have fun, if you want to not get injured, if you want to continue to run, you may not want to try to keep up with this group. You have been running nine miles a week, you have run 10Ks, but if I have counted correctly (taking the lower amount of miles, and leaving off the strides) you would be running over twenty-five miles plus track work during the week starting this Sunday, and I am assuming that they are ramping up from there. That just sounds like too much, too soon.

If you want to finish a marathon at all costs, the sooner the better, then go for it.

Robin from Maine

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jul 29, 2012 4:11 PM (in response to TexasPumpkin)
    Marathon Training

No, you're not being a baby.  You're setting yourself up for an overuse injury - too much, too fast, too soon.  You went from running 9 miles a week, to 13.3 miles (assuming the 4.3 was in addition to the 3 miles 3 days a week), to 23.3+ miles a week (3+3+5+6+6.36).  That last is a very large (too large) increase no matter how you cut it.  You need to get the long run and your weekly mileage up as you train for your marathon, but not like that.  Take a look at something like Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan, which might work well for you.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jul 29, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to TexasPumpkin)
    Marathon Training

Be cautious with the track work, too, unless you've done it before and know your capabilities.  It's an easy way to pull a muscle.

Len

Len

• TXDiversMom Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 29, 2012
    6. Jul 29, 2012 10:09 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Marathon Training

Hi TexasPumpkin, which one are you doing?  I'm doing the College Station HM in Dec.  It's my first.  I live in Houston and am also 50.

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    8. Jul 30, 2012 1:07 PM (in response to TexasPumpkin)
    Marathon Training

Here are my two cents after training for my first marathon last year at 52 (with just a year of training under my belt), and now in the middle of training for marathon #2 & #3:

Tis better to do too little than too much, especially the first time. The trick is to get to the starting line. If you do too much, train too hard, you will probably end up injured at some point - probably the most inconvenient point, as in shortly before the race. There is no need to do anything "hardcore", especially the first time.

Last year I did not listen to my body and pushed it right into an ITBS issue about a month before the marathon. I finished the race, but it sure would have been more fun, less stressful and less painful if I had taken a more relaxed approach. As I said before - get to the starting line uninjured!

This year I am adopting the less is more approach. I may not improve my time very much, but what does it matter? I'm running 3-4 times a week as before, but my runs during the week are shorter - 40-45 minutes each rather than 60. The long run schedule is about the same with three weeks "rest" between them after they reach 20 miles. I have found I need each of those three weeks! My first 20 mile run this year felt a whole lot better than the same distance last year.

I'm also in South Texas. I'm dreading the next long run in this heat.......

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    9. Jul 30, 2012 4:19 PM (in response to urun2me)
    Marathon Training

Urun2me Your post made my day. since Chicago will be my first full Marathon. one month before my 60th birthday. I decided to change my approach. I'm also running 3 to 4 times per week. usually three times. each time around 45 minutes but no longer. On my long runs I'm only worrying about covering the distance. trying to keep my HR in the 75% range. That translates to 12mm. Sunday I did 19. Except for expected soreness afterwards I was fine. tonight I'll bike for an hour starting around sunset. I beat the FL heat and humidity on my 19 mile run (not as bad as yours but still brutal) by starting at 4am.

Glad to see someone else who appreciates less is sometimes best as long as your not trying to beat the clock. that I'll save for December when I start running halfs again.

thanks for sharing.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Molly229 Amateur 17 posts since
    Nov 12, 2005
    10. Aug 1, 2012 4:58 AM (in response to TexasPumpkin)
    Marathon Training

Congratulations on training for a Marathon.  I completed my first Marathon at age 44 without a clue as to how to train.  I used the cool running beginner plan and peaked at about 23k because I just wanted to run the Marathon.

I'm now 50 and training for a second Marathon in October.  The first 7 weeks I was training too hard which created knee and foot problems for me.  I have switched to Hal Higdons Novice 1 and the training is going much better.  You have to listen to your body.  I train alone because if I train with anyone else it pushes me too far too fast.

Today I feel discouraged as I too hurt all over.  The will to achieve something is much stronger than the pain we face.  Think about your goals and what you want to achieve.  Less truly is more!

Good luck to you.

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    11. Aug 1, 2012 1:46 PM (in response to TexasPumpkin)
    Marathon Training

Hi TexasPumpkin,

I just printed out Hal Higdon's Novice 1 marathon training program. Like you, I have been running sporadically for a few years now and I am wanting to do a marathon. The one I have picked out is next may so I can give myself a headstart on the training. everyone who has responded to you has such awesome advice. And I agree with them that less is best. I wouldn't push myself to keep up with this particular group. Do what you can and ease back if you start feeling uncomfortable. Good luck with your training and let me know how it's going for you.

Kerry

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• cboozb Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    12. Aug 7, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to TexasPumpkin)
    Re: Marathon Training

I think you really need to take age and current physical condition into consideration and of course what really really matters to you. You may think you want to do a marathon, but .... are you really sure. Now if you were in above average physical condition (low BMI etc) no injuries, and below say 40, then I don't think you have to think about it to seriously; I mean you can take it on without alot of planning.

But if you are over 40, and/or haven't been running regularly maybe 10 or 15 pounds over your ideal weight; and/or have the goal of running the entire distance-then IMHO, you've got to think about it alot more seriously; you' are just going to have to commit to a much longer ramp-up, increasing mileage at a regular pace that your body can adapt to.

I think with enough motivation, anybody, just about anybody can do it. But depending on some of the things I mentioned, it can take alot of hours. The reward is that you will be in the best shape of your life. Are you up for that? If so, then you are looking at running or exercising about 6 days a week for several months. It's quite a task.

If you have run before, maybe in high school or college (?) then it might be alot easier to 're-capture' the form and fitness you had then. If you've never run then you are starting at the beginning. In that case, it also helps to get in with a group who are in a similar 'boat' to you.

Good luck.

(59 years old)

2011 Big sur Half-Marathon 1:35

2012 Napa Valley Marathon 3:50

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    13. Aug 8, 2012 8:45 AM (in response to TexasPumpkin)
    Marathon Training

Hi TexasPumpkin,

How is your training coming along? Hope it's going good for you

Kerry

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points