Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

323939 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Banishing-Bertha Go to original post 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 ... 130 Previous Next
  • RunsWithLimp Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 11, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,875. Jul 29, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

I'm 52 years old, 210 lbs, and I'm not happy about it.  I figure there's not a thing I can do about my age, but I sure can address the weight.  I actually registered here in 2008 but didn't remember until I tried again today.  I used to run, starting at age 35 and ran up until about 12 years ago when an injury sidelined me.  I had been running races, up to 15K trail races at the best, and the whole thing was kind of compulsive.  I was spending the afternoon looking for a program to get into shape again and I remembered the C25K program.  So, here I am.  I thought I'd post to start establishing some accountability for the success or failure of my efforts.

The extent of my regular exercise has been flyfishing, occasional kayaking, and walking our aged old dog.  We had to put the dog down a month ago.  I haven't begun the program yet, but I really look forward to it.  I think the hardest part will be knowing and accepting that my fast days are left in the past.

I look forward to starting and completing the C25K as the official start of my return to fitness.  I'd like to pull my weight down to 180 lbs by this time time next year.

RWL

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    1,876. Jul 29, 2012 8:40 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Good to see some more posts. I just finished W7D1 late last night and all day today my legs have been sore. I feel so proud of myself right now. Honestly this my 3rd attempt to finish the program and I don't believe the other times I ever made the long jogs without stopping for a short walk at some point. It's so hot right now that I did have to pause for long enough to take a couple of swallows of water, but I don't think that counts against you. I am beyond thankful that this summer has been cooler than last. I was doing the program then and I was lucky if the temps got down to the mid 90's by midnight. This year I'm often getting to run in some 70's if I wait late and 100+ degree highs haven't been the nearly daily occurrence they were for months last year. Which may be one reason I'm finding it easier this time. Praying that I don't get benched with an injury again. That would just be too cruel. The 1st time I was in week 9 when I was in a car accident and hurt my back. The 2nd time my knee was a mess after a sheep ran into it and worse after the dog that was chasing the sheep plowed into it too. Just as it was strong enough that I felt safe starting I tripped and wrenched it again. It only took a week or 2 to feel better but by then I had a cold. Grrr Delayed a trip we were going to take because of all of us were sick for a month.  Loved the mountains in Southern CO, but not the place for to start C25K when you aren’t used to the altitude.  Came home exhausted and refreshed thinking as soon as we recovered I’d start.  Procrastinated thru what was left of March and then April…  Started in May and on W1D3 I tripped in the street and fell hard on my knee.  Thankfully it wasn’t the same one I’d injured before.  But I had some very deep scrapes and bruising and I was a little nervous about falling on it again so I put off starting again for about 2 extra weeks.  Leave it to me to pick back up just as the June heat came roaring in full blast.  I am longing to jog thru the cool breezes of winter.   My son has been begging to jog with me but we don’t have sidewalks and he’s only 4 (5 in 2 weeks) so I’m not keen on the idea.  Maybe once I can move to days we can run on my neighbor’s property.   He has a dirt drive, loop that he claims is a jogger’s mile.  I’d guess it’s between a ½ and ¾ and I’m not sure at 5 he should be jogging much more than that.

Trying to decide between 2 5K’s for Nov and hoping to do at least 1 sooner, but I want to feel confident that I will finish and right now I’m slow and still well short of the distance.  

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• pritchro Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 1, 2008
    1,877. Nov 25, 2012 1:45 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving and felt woefully unprepared. It dawned on me that i should start a routine for the sake of general fitness. I'm 50 years old, overweight, and starting C25K tomorrow. Looking forward to participating in this forum.

• mike_swanson Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 9, 2012
    1,878. Nov 29, 2012 7:09 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Cool thread. Of course I have not read all of this but, it is so cool there are so many over 50 people here.

Time to tell my story. I am 53 and I have never been a runner. In fact, I was lifting weights and trying to bulk up a bit in the 80s and early 90s then spent the rest of my life eating and drinking too much and putting on a bit of fat.  My wife got us both involved in the C25K last September and I can tell you I thought it was a silly thing to do. If she had not been doing it, I never would have and I would not continue if it were not for her. She is not yet 50 so she does not understand ;-). I have left knee that is hamburger from football and later soccer so, I really thought I could never run (KT tape is magic). I am looking back at the program when I thought 8 minutes was nuts. We both stuck with it and I even ran in Montana and North Carolina while still in the program.

I have lost more the 25 pounds and I feel amazing. I still hate the training but the races are really fun. We have raced in 4 now (2 over Thanksgiving week) and we have another one this Saturday. On one race I came in 2nd for my age bracket (the guy in 1st crushed me). I am competitive and like the idea of being able to compete against my own time.

It is getting cold up here in IL now so, there don't seem to be any more races scheduled (one indoor at McCormick place in January we signed up for) in December, January, February and maybe even March which is too bad because we are both getting into this. Runners (joggers in my case) are so amazing and so happy, encouraging and positive I wish I had done this years ago. The program is great and I am really surprised how well it works.

• simdeptructuyen Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 26, 2012
    1,879. Jan 27, 2013 8:33 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I was doing the program then and I was lucky if the temps got down to the mid 90's by midnight. This year I'm often getting to run in some 70's if I wait late and 100+ degree highs haven't been the nearly daily occurrence they were for months last year. Which may be one reason I'm finding it easier this time. Praying that I don't get benched with an injury again. sim so dep That would just be too cruel. The 1st time I was in week 9 when I was in a car accident and hurt my back. sim so dep The 2nd time my knee was a mess after a sheep ran into it and worse after the dog that was chasing the sheep plowed into it too. Just as it was strong enough that I felt safe starting I tripped and wrenched it again. sim s? ??p It only took a week or 2 to feel better but by then I had a cold. Grrr Delayed a trip we were going to take because of all of us were sick for a month.  Loved the mountains in Southern CO, but not the place for to start C25K when you aren’t used to the altitude.  Came home exhausted and refreshed thinking as soon as we recovered I’d start sim so dep gia re.  Procrastinated thru what was left of March and then April…  Started in May and on W1D3 I tripped in the street and fell hard on my knee.  Thankfully it wasn’t the same one I’d injured before sim gia re.  But I had some very deep scrapes and bruising and I was a little nervous about falling on it again so I put off starting again for about 2 extra weeks.  Leave it to me to pick back up just as the June heat came roaring in full blast.  I am longing to jog thru the cool breezes of winter sim phong thuy.   My son has been begging to jog with me but we don’t have sidewalks and he’s only 4 (5 in 2 weeks) so I’m not keen on the idea.  Maybe once I can move to days we can run on my neighbor’s property.

• suescalza@gmail.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 30, 2008
    1,880. Jan 27, 2013 11:18 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi.  This is my first time posting, so this is less of a reply than a way to jump into the conversation.  I am 51, haven't done any consistent running (or anything fitness wise) during the past 8 years.  Prior to that I was a fairly consistent, if slow, runner who completed a number of 5ks in NYC, plus one marathon (with some walking) and a handful of 1/2s.  Am coming off a few rocky years and want to get back to running to regain the benefits I found in the past -- the joy of running, the challenge of competing against myself, the camaraderie of running, as well as the overall cardio and fitness benefits, including weight loss and weight management.  I got to week 7 of C25K last summer but couldn't make it through the longer runs and just gave up on the program and running.  Finding a good time to run outdoors in summer in Las Vegas was a big but not the only factor.  I've started the program again this month, with support from and accountability to a wellness coach, and completed week 3 this morning.  My goal is to complete the program this time and then increase my runs, endurance from there.  I've already registered for a 5k on February 23rd and plan to complete it as my scheduled C25K workout.  I am using the Get Running iPhone app, which I find very helpful.  Thanks for this forum -- I'm looking forward to checking in frequently.

• SuzanD Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2013
    1,881. Feb 17, 2013 12:52 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Hello all!  I am excited that I began C25K on January 29, 2013 and registered to run my first 5k on March 24, 2013.  On Jannuary 1 I was 55 lbs overweight and for the past 6 years have not really done any consistent excercise of any kind.  I bought a good pair of running shoes and started this program.  I have begun clean eating and just went gluten free and have lost 16 of those excess pounds.  I am a little nervous about finishing this program and being able to complete the 5k.  It has a minimum 15 min mile.  No time for walking!  I am going to be 57 in June and it is time to get fit and healthy!   I use the C25K iPhone app and so far, so good.  No repeated days.  Will start week 4 on Thursday this week and it sounds difficult!

Hesperia, California

I began c25k on January 29, 2013 and have registered to run my first 5k on March 24, 2013.

• PeterME Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    1,882. Mar 4, 2013 2:44 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Another one chiming in.  57 as of February.  Bought running shoes for my B-day present.  Started C25K and am in Week 2 now.  Never been much for running, but otherwise have been pretty athletic most of my adult life.  My crazy baby brother started doing triathlons a few years back and it seems at least the running part has been rubbing off lately

Peter

• RabidBear Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2013
    1,883. Apr 17, 2013 10:34 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I'm 52 6'3" 240 lbs. I hate running. But, I have to do something to  get back in shape and to lose this extra weight. Dieting and eating better have taken 40 pounds off but now it's time to get active as well. Last year in May I tried softball but when I ran to the base I tripped and completely wrecked my right knee. A torn meniscus plus a week later compartment syndrome. Anyone who wants to see a guesome injury can see it here: ???http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabidbear/sets/72157631489267428/

The whole lower leg had to be split open and drained of blood and fluids and then knee sugeries scheduled in September. You can not imagine how much time that takes to heal. Not to mention the absolutely gnarly scars you get. I was completely cleared to exercise in Dec. Anyway not one to quit I went skiing in January. I was feeling pretty good when an overly agressive female tried tossing me backwards onto a bed and came across my left knee completely tearing the MCL. Out for another 3 months.

A few weeks ago I signed up for my first 5K the Run or Dye in San Diego. My only goal was to get off the couch and finish the race. I wasn't even sure I could do that with the knee injuries and and leg issues but, I did finish it and I did it in under an hour. I have signed up for two more obstacle 5K's, the Temecula Mud Run this weekend and the ROC Race in mid May. Shoot if running had been this much fun when I was younger I might have kept up with it.

The Active.com emails have pointed me to the C25K and to these forums so it looks like I should probably get moving and get this app and make a plan to get these 5K's even more fun. They are fun now, but the multi day recovery...not so much. So, I'll be looking for tips and advice. I'll be posting triumphs and failures and looking for and giving encouragement. So standby this is about to get fun...  

• Katsullik Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 24, 2014
    1,884. Apr 24, 2014 4:39 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

61 y o just starting C25k today .I am very active ,I don't run ...yet well did try once and ran a 5k 7 years ago and swore I never would again but decided I just did not train correctly  so I will check here for inspiration

• Luna19 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 28, 2014
    1,885. Apr 28, 2014 1:22 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Yes. 54 The last couple of times I tried to run, I developed plantar fascitis right away. I hope it doesn't happen this time. I really want to get in shape and I love that the Couch to 5k program tells you exactly what to do. Left to my own devices I get very lazy.

• emh485 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 2, 2014
    1,886. Apr 30, 2014 6:58 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I am 51 and on Week 6 day 2.  I have never run before but have been an avid walker.  I am struggling to get through the program but am still trying.  I have to really talk my way through the 8 minuet and get scarred thinking no way can I get through 10 min.  I keep telling myself I'm to old and maybe I should quit till I saw this sight.  I'm going to keep trying!

• ZandraMartin-Baggen Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 10, 2013
    1,887. Apr 30, 2014 2:39 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I'm trying and trying and just when I think I can do better I get injuries or sick! I'm 52 and have attempted 5km fun runs in Sydney and Canberra now having a go at 10km with 1hr 40m my best for 10km with a knee brace!  The thought is longevity over pace at the moment. What are your thoughts on this idea?

• justamaniac Legend 207 posts since
    May 30, 2007

Well, you are right with regards to the distance vs pace - you will develop better endurance (stonger cardio vascular system) the further you run. And for myself, realizing that I'm never going to win a race or even place in my age group, I am content to "go the distance". I burn a lot of calories, feel better, sleep better, and I can drink more good beer. But since I am competitive, I do try to better my times and work my way up from mid-pack. As we get older, injuries are a concern (I'm nursing a foot issue right now from trying to do speed intervals too aggresively), so if you do injur yourself, let yourself heal, and get back into it. It is worth the effort.

best of luck!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• Gibbs25 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 26, 2013
    1,889. May 7, 2014 5:13 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Ok. So I'm 55. I've been active on and off all of my adult life. I am on Week 2, Day 2 of C25K. I like it very much, but have been inconsistent with my exercise. Case in point, I have not worked out in two weeks! I know I feel better when I do, but I need to get remotivated. I'm also trying to lose weight.

I do have one questions for everyone. I'm using my Galaxy Nexus phone for the program. I play my Spotify playlist when running, but I can't hear the voice directions when I do. Any suggestions?

Gibbs

Gibbs

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...