Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

922 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 7:55 AM by runFREE107 RSS
runFREE107 Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2012 8:38 AM

Training for my 1st Half in Oct!

Hello all!

I am new to Active.  I signed up for a half marathon in October.  I am about 3-4 weeks into my training.  My longest run so far has been 6.2 miles in 1:10.  My first few weeks only consisted of a few days of running and the rest of the days doing spinning, boot camp, and muscle conditioning classes with Pilates thrown in there once in a while.  I have been doing those classes religiously since January.  I love to run and have always ran recreationally for the past 15 years or so.  I am aiming for 7 miles on sunday and am nervous, that will be the farthest I've run ever.  I've done 10k race before.  Tonight my husband and I were going to try and new route for about 4 miles but it looks like it will thunderstorm so we are heading to the gym to treadmill it out.    Can anyone give me some advice on treadmill workouts for training? 

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Jul 26, 2012 8:45 AM (in response to runFREE107)

What better way to prepare for your 1/2 than to get out there and face the elements?  For example, what would you do should your race of choice come with a torrential downpour half way through?  Mother nature is a very fickle taskmaster for those who allow her to be.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jul 26, 2012 10:58 AM (in response to runFREE107)

On race day the weather is what the weather is:  My last marathon pouring rain and 40.  I run in the rain very often but sometimes will do the TM.  On the TM you just have to get past the boring, music, TV whatever works for you, outside is the way to go as long as no lighting!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Jul 26, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to runFREE107)

I am no expert on treadmill training, because I only use them in the most extreme of circumstances if there is no possible way to run a route outside.  The treadmill is not the best training option, of course, but it has some cardio and flexibility benefits to keep moving. 

I would say continue on with the LR schedule because you a few months before the half.  If you have to do a slower pace on Sunday, then do not worry because sometimes it is difficult to do specific miles on a particular day.  This is an obvious flaw in rigid training schedules because we are all different with various influences and situations.  Often times, I have no idea about what I am capable of doing until I get out the door and start moving, so it is okay if your LR schedule varies a bit from your expectations.  One Sunday, you will go out and find that you completed nine miles when you thought you would just do seven, for example.  The reverse is also true with exact things in mind, but do not be discouraged if the distance is less than you thought, because it happens to everyone.  In general, it is a good idea to get up to at least the 10-mile mark for the half, but you could certainly finish with a walk/jog/run routine if necessary. 

If you have the opportunity to get in some additional 10k races, those may be of benefit.  You have been running for awhile, so there is no need to stress about a particular event.  You have a solid background base and good focus, so you will do great. 

Wishing you every success.

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    5. Jul 26, 2012 6:59 PM (in response to runFREE107)

+1 Jasko's recommendation.

I know it's not easy, but try not to worry about any particular thing.  The details can kill you, or at least take a lot of the fun and joy out of your experience if you let them.  You have a fine base going, you sound like a fairly sensible and disciplined sort of person.  Just trust yourself and your body to come along fine and you will.

Try running a workout now and then where you don't have any particular numbers to hit. Just run to feel how it feels to run.  How your feet are landing and how your posture feels.  Listen to your breathing. Notice how your arms swing and what your hands like to do when you're not consciously directing them.  Feel the sun and shadow playing over your back.  Hear your heart doing its thing. Just enjoy it all!

Remember,too, the race is just the icing on the cake.  The main thing is that you can run and be healthy at all.  Every time you head out the door is an opportunity to find a bit of joy.  The race is just a fun sort of measuring stick to how you're doing overall and how well you know your body.

Wishing you joy and success!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    6. Jul 30, 2012 6:00 AM (in response to Joseph Tree)

Agree with josephtree, jasko, and nowirun4fun, and bosnpm, the race will be in the elements, so you have to train in the elements.  My first HM this past April was preceded by 3 weeks of 70 degree weather, and then race day turned out to be 35 degrees with a 25 mph head wind and the threat of snow.  Fortunately I had trained all winter long in similar or worse conditions so knew what to do with clothing, etc.

but if you are looking for near ideal training conditions, you will have to move out here to CO!  300 sunny days and almost every day has a period of 50-60 degrees, even in the winter.

Don't be nervous about any particular run as you will have good ones, and not so good ones.  But they all count as long as you work to finish them no matter the pace.  You are learning as you go and the bad ones during training will make you better prepared for variable on race day.

Good luck, and stay the course!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...