Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1725 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 11:30 AM by CatDogFan
CatDogFan Amateur 21 posts since
Apr 7, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 29, 2012 9:20 AM

Legal slide or not?

I am not affilfited with either team, but am in Arizona and still follow LL even though my kid aged out years ago.

The Arizona state championship game ended with the winning run and a play at the plate.

So... what do you say, legal slide or not?

http://www.TucsonNewsNow.com/category/179377/video-center?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7555029

EDIT: Sorry - I tried to embed the video clip but I failed....

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Jul 30, 2012 7:15 AM (in response to CatDogFan)
    Legal slide or not?

If that was not ruled a head-first slide then there is no such thing as a head-first slide.

IMO--a blown call! Too bad it being a game deciding run in a championship game.

I looked for  a possibility of a "trip" judgment call----and, at least from the camera's eye, saw no evidence of a "trip."

Boy, it appears some drivers were rolling the dice having parked their cars just outside the outfield fence---windshields facing home plate.

Frank!

• CranberryBlue Pro 94 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jul 30, 2012 10:45 AM (in response to Frank_B)
    Legal slide or not?

My recollection is that LL is looking for the "Superman-style" dive and imo that one doesn't qualify, though it's on the edge. I'd have ruled safe but could be convinced otherwise by our more learned members.

May 30, 2007
    4. Jul 30, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to CatDogFan)
    Re: Legal slide or not?

Gotta remember what rule 7.08e #4 is all about.  A kid not putting his head in harm's way by leading with it while advancing.

Do I "dare"quote the RIM.

"Any runner who does a head first slide is out at the MOMENT the umpire sees the runner go into the head first slide."

caps mine!                       In the  visual provided, the runner's head is out in front;   then, feet and legs trailing;   then, left side/torso on ground "grinding" forward, BEFORE his touching home plate with extended hand. His torso's "sliding" momentum on the ground, enabling him to reach out and touch the plate with his hand.

[His "cape" "tights"  and big chest "S" left behind because he failed to file a "flight plan"...never wanting it said he "took a dive."]   

Frank!

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Jul 30, 2012 12:54 PM (in response to CatDogFan)
    Re: Legal slide or not?

That's an out.

You're looking for what lead the initial motion to the plate. Hands, or feet?

I don't see why this one is even in question.

Now, I fully understand why the PU didn't call it. He's looking at the ball coming in, the positioning of F2 (for OBS), then the tag coming down. Then he sees a torso flopping in front of him, as he's watching for the glove to touch the body. What you can't tell is how the body got to the prone position, when you're watching so many other things.

But there was a four man crew, and you'd have thought one of 'em would have seen it. Guess not.

May 30, 2007
    6. Jul 30, 2012 2:55 PM (in response to Frank_B)
    Legal slide or not?

Then again, replays/video play do-overs... being a "Monday morning quarterback's" best friend.   

I include myself as one of those QB's!

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...