Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7363 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 5:17 AM by Molly229 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • bodyandsoul Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 6, 2011 9:09 AM (in response to shanonlyn)
    does anyone else ever just give up?

Maybe you're just "taking a break." I've been running for years, sometimes getting ready for 5Ks or 10Ks, sometimes not, and maybe just going out for 2-3 miles even walking and running. I've never been fast and have slowed down a lot these days. I had always wanted to run a half marathon before I turned 50, but never seriously planned one. Last year when I was 49, my supervisor who is eleven years younger than me, registered for a half. She had never been a runner, although she is in awesome shape and does spinning, yoga, etc. There was no doubt she could do it. But, it made me think....why can't I do it? I know how to train. I can do this too. So I registered for the half that I had been eyeing for years - like 13 years. I started building up my endurance from 3 miles up and I did it! It was 3 days after my 50th birthday! I ran slow but steady and didn't stop until I passed the finish line! Now I'm back to going out and running for however long I feel like. So, I guess what I'm saying is if you love to run it will always be with you. Just keep enjoying it. Take a break if you have to, then when you get out again you'll love it even more.

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    16. Nov 6, 2011 9:34 AM (in response to bodyandsoul)

This is definitely good advice.  I recently ran my first full marathon and it kicked my butt to the point that I haven't gone back out yet.  Partly because I've been busy, but also because I felt burned out from having to run to train.  Now I'm starting to miss running and can't wait to get back out there to just enjoy my runs!  It's true that once you start it's always with you, even if you take breaks, eventually you crave the run!

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Nov 7, 2011 11:44 AM (in response to shanonlyn)

As others have said, it sounds like you had some pretty, uhmm, lofty goals right out of the gate to say the least. The Half is an amazing goal but keep in mind that it can take a good year or more for things like your connective tissues to get used to the act and abuse of running -- slow and steady in training often wins the race (well, at least it doesn't come in last). Galloway's thrown together some pretty good programs so stick with those and remember: you're not racing against anyone else, only yourself. We runners tend to be a pretty forgiving and encouraging group so keep coming back and for God's sake, don't quit!

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Patrick Whelly Amateur 10 posts since
    Aug 14, 2009
    19. Nov 29, 2011 5:43 PM (in response to shanonlyn)

Shanonlyn  Just keep your eye on the clock and a commitment to contintual to do your best and improve each time you get out and run.   My first times were not good  but as I decided to contintue to train (run along the bike trial) and go futher in mileage every so often my times improved so that I place in the top 3 in my age group a few times a year.  It much harder for me now because of the cold weather and my asthma but I stil run a few miles aweek training.  My last run was the turkey 5k  I did a lot better than in the past.  with at 23:39  I finished 298 out of 1550 runners.  So this is an encougement for you to keep going and improve. Patrick

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    20. Nov 29, 2011 6:24 PM (in response to shanonlyn)

Shanonlyn fantastic job! I'm so glad to hear you did't give up. You should be very proud of yourself. Keep running and great things will come.

• Running4urlife Pro 72 posts since
    Oct 6, 2011
    21. Nov 29, 2011 8:09 PM (in response to shanonlyn)
    Re: does anyone else ever just give up?

Shanonlyn - you rocked it....just by running it!!!  So glad you didn't give up.  Have a bit of a sense of humor and that will help you get through the slow times and the injuries.....and the setbacks.  Last year in the Fall I started running after a LONG hiaatus and I ran a 5k in about 47mins.  This year I ran that same 5k in 33mins.  Had I given up last year when I felt like I wasn't improving I wouldn't have seen my improvement.  I'm hoping that same 5k next year will show me even better results.  And I promise if you continue running, you will see improvements....you just gotta

Get out there and RUN!!

COMPLETED RACES

2010 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---47:24 (walked...first race in 10 years!)

2011 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k ---- 33:53

2012 - St. Paddy's Day 8k/5k Run....58:59....FIRST 8K!

2012 - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack....35:38

2012 - Short Run on a Long Day 5k in Frankfort....34:43

2012 - Fort2Base - 3 Nautical Mile (3.45 miles).....36:44

2012 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k.....31:46...PR!!

2013 - Mar - St. Paddy's Day 5k/8k Run...34.26

2013 - Apr - Tiger 5k Speedway Racetrack...34:36...2nd place in my "old age" group

2013 - May - Solider Field 10 Miler...2:01:26

2013 - June - Chicago Color Run (not timed)

2013 - June - Women's Chicago 1/2 Marathon....2:43:04

• runnermommy3 Pro 139 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    23. Dec 3, 2011 1:58 PM (in response to shanonlyn)

Great job Shannon!

I agree - the running friends I've made are incredible. Even though I'll never be as fast as some of them, they're always there cheering me on.

Carolyn, wife to Chad and mom to three boys

Started WW and C25K on 1/10/11

Starting Weight: 184.4 lbs

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

Current Weight: 131.4

Rookie runner

Race results for 2011:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 4/10/11 - 1:10:26

Bridge to Bridge 5K 5/7/11 - 39:59

Graham's Sundae 5K 7/31/11 - 38:48

Eagles Run 5K 8/6/11 - 38:28

Run for the Athletes 5K 8/17/11 - 39.04

Pumpkin Run 10K 10/30/11 - 1:12:24

Hot Chocolate 5K 11/5/11 - 34:24 - PR!!!!

Fox and the Turkey Trot 4 miler - 44:34

Snowflake Shuffle 5K - 35:11 - last race of 2011

Race results for 2012:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 3/25/12 - 56:42!!

• Robert31320 Amateur 17 posts since
    Nov 19, 2010
    24. Dec 4, 2011 5:28 PM (in response to shanonlyn)

shanonlyn wrote:

yippee i did 4 miles in 1:03:23 which is my personal best and i came in 659 out of 699 at a turkey run on thanksgiving. NOT LAST woohooo. something i needed to see progress.

Great job!

I was so close to last in my 1st ever 5K that I could have smelled it if I weren't breathing so hard.  Not to be discouraged, I'm planning to run another before the end of this year.

Robert31320

Coastal Georgia

• erik-k Expert 36 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    26. Jan 2, 2012 6:56 PM (in response to shanonlyn)

Well done!!! Not a bad time, and I'll bet well out of last place. Keep at it!

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    27. Jan 3, 2012 8:26 AM (in response to shanonlyn)

Great job. I am so happy for you. Keep those goals reachable and keep on reaching. We never know what we can accomplish until we try.  Well done my fellow runner.

• Molly229 Amateur 17 posts since
    Nov 12, 2005
    29. Aug 1, 2012 5:17 AM (in response to shanonlyn)

It was so interesting reading all the responses to you.  Give up?  Hell no!    Evidently, based on your update, you didn't give up and are making great progress.

I'm 50 and  training for my 2nd Marathon.  8 weeks into training and I'm seriously discouraged.  I ask myself why I can't be like "normal" people, when out pounding the miles back.  The answer is because runners have this drive inside that pushes us to achieve something from ourselves.  There is great satisfaction in working through pain, disappointment, bad runs, good runs, races and all that is inbetween.  There is a drive to challenge ourselves and to see how far we can go.

Congratulations on not giving up! 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points